Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mhoward0059

MegaBots calls it quits, puts battle robots on eBay

Posted · Original PosterOP

The era of giant battle robots appears to be over... although you might have a chance to bring it back. MegaBots has gone bankrupt after once again running out of money, and it's auctioning its 16-foot-tall Eagle Prime robot on eBay as part of the shutdown.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/25/megabots-bankrupt-ebay-auction/?sr_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1yyT39XiUZW6ApDoJWRxfNQ3dT-rJkKh22O-hOkmkKcmcy-olXlkH-xSA&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZmFjZWJvb2suY29tLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAMshyvSIEavjPfSo9iCtZ9Qrxp8BfT2yFmJ9u3UARz_SDV4eaHKkAmOXbGvfRYPrXLgOkKj0hsIGAn-K5yXXKF5FhMFcchEPRKgZtgwzNUiMU8uSf9yDHz5F352THKEToSyN4eOM0Vwhch0oy4n6p3F-snE9PWOsxfTH2ZEYVkK9

I'm pretty bummed about this news but I'm not surprised. I thought eagle prime was cool, but only cool enough to watch the occasional YouTube video on it; not enough for me to want to see it in person or pay money to watch videos about it which I'm sure is the opinion of many people. 

38 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

for 12 seconds

Image result for heavy weapons guy meme

There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. The doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion it is.

Would be pretty bonkers as a friendly reminder in the front yard to some asshole neighbors to be finally a bit more friendly.

Though would be probably seen as a bit passive aggressive

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

5 minutes ago, poochyena said:

The fight video they had was so bad. It was just two slowly moving robots barely hitting each other, and the video had a jump cut every 5 seconds. So disappointing.

I would have expected nothing less.

Had a discovery channel production feel.

It's almost as though giant robots built exclusively for choreographed wrestling make no sense. Once again the Internet has shown that it doesn't actually want what it thinks it wants. At least now we have a pretty definitive answer to "it's <this year>, where are my giant robots?".

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

On 9/25/2019 at 6:32 AM, mhoward0059 said:

The era of giant battle robots appears to be over... although you might have a chance to bring it back. MegaBots has gone bankrupt after once again running out of money, and it's auctioning its 16-foot-tall Eagle Prime robot on eBay as part of the shutdown.

Welcome to the forums!

I should let you know that our Tech News section is in my opinion, one of the nicest and it's to a good extent due to our Tech News guidelines:

May I suggest you add some input of your own into the original post? That will spark discussion and get more attention to the thread.

Also, if you reduce your link's length, the post would look that much neater. One way to do it is to write some text then use the URL button (looks like this image.png.e492a434364e4d19db23fc38ba56e53a.png) to paste the link into the box. Voila, a shorter link.

Cheers!

Edit: It has now been 24 hours and I have moved the topic to General Discussion as per our policy. As soon as you update it to meet Tech News Guidelines, let me know and I'll restore it to the Tech News subforum.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER PSU Tier List Now.

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)
Framepainting-inator: MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB Died in a horrible mining accident. Currently looking for used Vega 56s!

Attachcorethingy: GA-H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333 CAS 9

Computerarmor: CM Elite 360 (Moddded to all hell by now)

Rememberdoogle: 120GB Trion 150 + 1TB WD RE+ + 240GB SSD Plus

AdditionalPylons: Corsair CX450M

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: EVGA Torq X3

Auralnterface: @Den-Fi が2年前にくれたヘッドフォン

Liquidrectangles: AOC G2260VWQ6 (Freesync 75Hz), Samsung SMB2030N (1600x900 VGA)

Brother's Computer:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel i3-2100 (carry over from my old build)
Framepainting-inator: GTX 650 Ti

Attachcorethingy: Intel Z68 (don't know anything else, got it from ebay for like $40)

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x2GB 1333MHz C9

Computerarmor: Ashamed to say

Rememberdoogle: 120GB SP550 + 500GB 2.5" from a laptop

AdditionalPylons: Antec Basiq BP350 (not as loud as @STRMfrmXMN says it is) (actually pretty loud for my standards)

Letterpad: Logitech MK120 bundle

Buttonrodent: See above

Auralnterface: Hah! You wish

Liquidrectangles: Samsung 1600x900 + LG 1440x900

Battlebots is much more entertaining tbh

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

They tried to bring back robot wars here in England, they made 2 seasons and so few people watched it they axed it again.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Server:-

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B running OMV Arrakis and an 8TB Seagate USB 3.0 external HDD

On 9/25/2019 at 4:13 PM, Sauron said:

It's almost as though giant robots built exclusively for choreographed wrestling make no sense. Once again the Internet has shown that it doesn't actually want what it thinks it wants. At least now we have a pretty definitive answer to "it's <this year>, where are my giant robots?".

Battlebots on the other hand is awesome. I think they brought it back in 2016. There is a 2019 season now.