Poll: How do you upgrade your PC?

Thready

Poll: How do you upgrade your PC?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How do you upgrade your PC?

• Entire new system each time
    • Upgrade the CPU, motherboard, and GPU at the same time
    • Each part separately

I upgrade each part separately, so what I buy next depends on what part I need changed the most. I started out with a dell studio 540. I slowly upgraded each part one by one (with the exceptions being CPU+mobo replacements) and now I have an entirely different PC from when I started, save for the case.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

Upgrade every component separately, when and if it's needed. When switching from one RAM platform to another (ie. DDR3 to DDR4 system), I obviously have to  get the mobo, cpu, and ram at the same time. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

I usually just buy as needed as it depends on how much hardware has moved on as to what is worth upgrading.  I bought my current system as one back in 2011 (i7 3930k) although put the drives from the previous system into it, since then it has had a new GPU, storage and ram.  It's probably due a new processor and ram sometime soon but will keep the rest.

I'll purchase new parts until I'm left with 2 systems. Then I try to sell my first. 

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

On 9/24/2019 at 2:04 PM, Thready said:

I actually overbought my RAM in 2016. I have 24 GB of 3000. So I'm good for a while while I switch from a 6600k to ryzen

When I bought the Haswell system, I maxed out the RAM because I saw DDR3 on the way out, so 32GB was the max.

With DDR4 systems, the Intel systems max out on desktop and laptop at 64GB. Intel i9-9900K (socket 2066) and Ryzen 3900X is listed as being able to do 128GB, but good luck getting modules for that right now. The i7's and previous Ryzen's only do 64.

The issue with RAM itself is that you need to get matched pairs, preferably from the same manufacturing line, which means you limit the maximum speed as well since they will only be stable running at one speed, which is the slowest module.

Anyhow, as far as piecemeal upgrading. The CPU + MB + RAM should always go together, but if not changing the RAM you can hold onto the previous RAM when doing a MB upgrade until you can justify it. 

The GPU can be upgraded when it's not doing the job you need it to do, so if a new game comes out, and it makes your existing GPU scream in pain, then it's time to consider a replacement.

Based on recent experience...

Year 1 : Change Mobo / CPU / RAM

Year 2 : Nada

Year 3 : GPU

Year 4 : Nada

Year 5 : More RAM / Faster storage

Year 6 : GPU

Year 7 : Nada

Year 8 : Start again.

Currently in year 2.

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

None of those options.

GPU every 2-3 years and new Mobo, CPU and RAM every 10.

Rest replaces when fails.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Mostly switched from desktop to laptop, so full system only. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti