Building the ULTIMATE IKEA Gaming Setup

jakkuh_t

We try and build the ultimate gaming setup using as many parts from Ikea as possible!

Buy ASUS's PG27UQ Monitor:
On Amazon: https://lmg.gg/8KVPg
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KVPy

Buy Logitech G513 Keyboard: 
On Amazon: https://lmg.gg/8KVPv
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KVPs

Buy Logitech G Pro Mouse: 
On Amazon: https://lmg.gg/8KVPd
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KVPt

Buy Logitech G560 Speakers: 
On Amazon: https://lmg.gg/8KVPD
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KVP7

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Ikea Part List: https://lmg.gg/8KVPx

All ROG PC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXUJSCZiU48

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

As someone who has just moved into his own apartment and has set up their own gaming station, I guess all I want to say is good job on the cabling. Between my lighting, speakers, VR headset, networking, and printers, I have over 40 cables to route, and while my desk itself is clean, the space where my computer + peripherals live is probably going to leave many of you gasping.

I had initially planned to go for the Ikea desk, but realistically, I didn't have the space (my apartment is laid out really weirdly- so if I didn't place a desk in this corner, it would just be a weird cutout in the dining room), so settled on my current desk. Still, glad to see a video dedicated on the Ikea table; as mentioned- I was planning on getting that very same countertop for a while, and had to pixel peep each frame on Paul's and Kyle's setup to understand what they had done/ the tabletops they were using, so yeah- this video is definitely going to help a lot of people.

Edit- probably not helping myself as I get an external harddrive in a couple of weeks, haha.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YZbDpy7cpM1TQdey7

PC in Profile

I do need to say that Linus truly butchered that Swedish.

But, I am honestly surprised he pronounced "Ingvar" almost perfectly, especially the "I" part of the name. Now if only the same pronunciation could be used for the "I" in IKEA...
It shouldn't be pronounced like the "I" in "Item", like everyone does, but rather like the "I" in words like "In", "Is", "instead" etc...

14 minutes ago, Nystemy said:

I do need to say that Linus truly butchered that Swedish.

But, I am honestly surprised he pronounced "Ingvar" almost perfectly, especially the "I" part of the name. Now if only the same pronunciation could be used for the "I" in IKEA...
It shouldn't be pronounced like the "I" in "Item", like everyone does, but rather like the "I" in words like "In", "Is", "instead" etc...

Eh-KEA?!  Wow.  I'll have to test that out next time I'm in one.  Thanks.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Nice setup, but there still is room for spending even less money while still getting something decent. There are even cheaper chairs than "Markus" that can be comfortable (This is very subjective anyway, one should try them all and then decide). The fake plant was also not necessary, you can get real ones that look better for much cheaper (even ones that are low maintenance).

As for cable management, the option in the video was quite nice. There are some IKEA desks that have included cable management options like the "Micke" series. The large one is the desk I am currently using, it is big enough for a dual monitor setup imho. I modded one of the Micke drawers as a keyboard tray by cutting out a piece of the front and covering the cuts with some metal trim.

Just to be clear, I am not any wqay working for or promoting IKEA, I just happen to have some experience with many of their products.

7 minutes ago, Velcade said:

Eh-KEA?!  Wow.  I'll have to test that out next time I'm in one.  Thanks.

I would have to disagree with the "Eh". Though, to be fair, English doesn't have a single word with an "i" pronounced as it should be for it to be "correct".

Though, the pronunciation of the i in words like, is, in, since, ambiguous, it. Is at least far closer then the pronunciation of i in words like, item, ivory, I, idolize, ion, etc.

But I guess most native English speakers mainly struggle with the I followed by a K, and thereby can't pronounce it any other way.

Though, some people say the "eee" sound is "closer", but it is a bit like saying that a G is pronounced like a J. At least some underlying tonality is there, but the bulk sound is still way off.

Otherwise one can just ask Google Translate, it is more then passable for almost all Swedish words, names and acronyms. (Do note to listen to it when set to Swedish, otherwise it is way off...)

Anybody know if Ikea offers a corner (or cornersized) tabletop to match the Karlby?  I'm looking to do an L-shaped setup and the extra surface space would be awesome

Never again will I ever buy a chair at IKEA:

1. Castors broke within 3 months requiring repair and eventual replacement maybe a year down the road.

2. Bonded leather surface began to crack and peel after 6 months. AVOID BONDED LEATHER!!!

3. Star base broke due to shoddy manufacturing/quality and weak material. I could have replaced it along with the now shot gas strut, but found it better to invest that money in a new chair and just threw the damn thing out.

IKEA is supposed to be the furniture store from Sweden with Swedish-built furniture - now they are just a clearing house for everything made in China, including their chairs.

Actually, i got a nice ikea desk, it may be 20 years old, but still works :D

on the other hand, i need that LTT Wallpaper - and please dont tell me its in the ltt store :D

Did you know that Ikea has a naming convention for it's products?

• Bathroom items: Names of Swedish lakes and bodies of water
  • Linens: Flowers and plants
  • Bedroom and Living Room Furniture: Norwegian places
  • Bookcases: Professions and Scandinavian boy’s names
  • Bowls and Vases: Swedish place names, adjectives, spices, herbs, fruits, and berries
  • Boxes, Pictures, and Wall Decorations: Swedish slang expressions and Swedish place names
  • Children’s Products: Mammals, birds, adjectives
  • Desks and Chairs: Scandinavian boy’s names
  • Fabrics and Curtains: Scandinavian girl’s names
  • Outdoor Furniture: Scandinavian islands
  • Kitchen Accessories: Fish, mushrooms and adjectives
  • Lighting: Units of measurement, seasons, months, days, shipping and nautical terms, Swedish place names
  • Rugs: Danish place names
  • Sofas, Chairs and Dining Sets: Swedish place names

More info at

https://stickybranding.com/how-ikea-names-its-products-its-a-surprisingly-brilliant-naming-system/

48 minutes ago, Nystemy said:

I would have to disagree with the "Eh". Though, to be fair, English doesn't have a single word with an "i" pronounced as it should be for it to be "correct".

Though, the pronunciation of the i in words like, is, in, since, ambiguous, it. Is at least far closer then the pronunciation of i in words like, item, ivory, I, idolize, ion, etc.

But I guess most native English speakers mainly struggle with the I followed by a K, and thereby can't pronounce it any other way.

Though, some people say the "eee" sound is "closer", but it is a bit like saying that a G is pronounced like a J. At least some underlying tonality is there, but the bulk sound is still way off.

Otherwise one can just ask Google Translate, it is more then passable for almost all Swedish words, names and acronyms. (Do note to listen to it when set to Swedish, otherwise it is way off...)

don't know about that side of the pond but over this side  ikea in their adverts have started pronouncing it ick eee ah

(jump to about 1m24s  if you don't want to watch the whole ad)

3 minutes ago, mikeyw64 said:

Did you know that Ikea has a naming convention for it's products?

[...]

Interesting, but I know of some exceptions. There is a Stockholm fabric for instance (which, to my knowledge, refers only to the Swedish capital and not to a Scandinavian girl's name) or the Ikea 365+ kitchenware.

Just now, greenhorn said:

Interesting, but I know of some exceptions. There is a Stockholm fabric for instance (which, to my knowledge, refers only to the Swedish capital and not to a Scandinavian girl's name) or the Ikea 365+ kitchenware.

aye , the article does hint at they have started breaking with the original convention (which was Ingvar Kamprads way of dealing with his dyslexia apparently)

TFW they describe pretty much your setup in the "well, we could always cheap out" section ??

Ikea_desk.jpg.aca7672e396e33bc3d7aaf120286d94a.jpg

3 minutes ago, mikeyw64 said:

don't know about that side of the pond but over this side  ikea in their adverts have started pronouncing it ick eee ah

(jump to about 1m24s  if you don't want to watch the whole ad)

That sounds a bit like a Swed, but the pronunciation is a bit masculine, in a stereotypical sense, a bit like how one expects people to talk in advertisements, Radio, TV and such...
So maybe not the best representation of a casual everyday pronunciation of the name.
But it is perfect compared to the normal butchering IKEA gets from English speakers the world over. (since this is close enough for dialect differences between different parts of Sweden to matter more. Though, the Småland dialect should probably be correct by "de facto", due to it being where IKEA started out back in the day.)

But I am still surprised at how close Linus got to pronouncing Ingvar perfectly, if only the I were pronounced the same in IKEA...
And butchering Elmtaryd and Agunnaryd is something even Swedes do at times.

6 minutes ago, Nystemy said:

That sounds a bit like a Swed, but the pronunciation is a bit masculine, in a stereotypical sense, a bit like how one expects people to talk in advertisements, Radio, TV and such...

Older Ads used to pronounce it Eye Key Ah

Eg (about 1m25s again if you wwant to skip)

BTW @nystemy  Stockholm is a lovely city, visited there a couple of times back in the late 90's early 00's

Used to stop in the youth hostel in the old prison , Långholmen (and I'll admit to googling that) although it looks posher than I remember lol

3 hours ago, jakkuh_t said:

$100/200 for a table top? You can go to home depot and get a 4' x 8' table for $20-50 that'll work perfectly fine. They'll even cut it to size for ya.

Please do a Home Depot/Lowes ultimate gaming set up next, if you need help just fly me to canada.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-Composites-Plywood-Sanded-Plywood/N-5yc1vZc7qk

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-Composites-Plywood-Hardwood-Plywood/N-5yc1vZc7r1

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 hour ago, mikeyw64 said:

Older Ads used to pronounce it Eye Key Ah

Eg (about 1m25s again if you wwant to skip)

That there is using a more English sounding pronunciation, likely to make it more familiar to the region the ad focuses on. After all, advertising tends to be more efficient if people knows who one is talking about. And since the newer add is more Swedish in its pronunciation, then they could just be slowly migrating that familiarity over to the Swedish pronunciation.

Though, some companies doesn't take local pronunciation into consideration and strictly goes on their way of saying it, making things strange.

And other companies have many names, depending on the market/region, like 鴻海科技集團, that internationally is a bit more known as Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. Ltd. But is even more known by their third name. (I am not going to spoil it though...)

Also, the Långholmen hotel is likely more posh then you remember, they have spiffed up the place a fair bit over recent years. (not that I have stayed there myself due to living in the city already, but I have heard from others.)

My IKEA setup:

IMG_20190924_194052.thumb.jpg.4334422c6895a3f40aacd3686d02af8e.jpg 

I used a VIVO adapter VESA mount quick release bracket and a 3/4" thick plank to mount a ViewSonic VA2252SM 22" 1080p monitor mirrored to my 50" plasma (off to the right).

The desk is a Vittsjö, so is the TV unit. I could probably do some cable management :/

My system:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1024823-the-fastest-xbox-of-all-time/?do=findComment&comment=12224124

Didn't see it on the parts list - what is the lamp that's mounted over the left monitor for most of the video?

22 hours ago, jakkuh_t said:

We try and build the ultimate gaming setup using as many parts from Ikea as possible!

I actually work in product development for IKEA in Älmhult, Sweden. Currently I'm working with the kitchen appliances but before I was also involved in worktops. KARLBY is originally meant as kitchen countertop but usefull in many places. What was really cool to me was that Jake completely understood the concept of the thick veneer. It gives you almost all the benefits of solid wood while using significantly less resources. It is a really cool product but we also know that people have a preference for solid wood and we have worked hard to bring the message across for this kind of product. Showed the video to the product developer for KARLBY today and she loved it.

Just sending some positive vibes from Sweden to Jake!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

What is the box name on the lett?