Qnix Qx2710 - 120hz 1440p Confirmed!

PapaSmurf6768

Hello LinusTechTips community! Thought I'd share a tidbit of info that might be useful to some of you monitor shopping.  As many of you might know there have been many 1440p monitors available from South Korea, the most popular being the Yamakasi Catleap Q270.  These are IPS, 1440p monitors available at less than half the price of current 1440p, brand name monitors such as ones from Dell or ASUS at the cost of lower build quality and quality control.  However, a very popular debate on the interwebs is "What do I get, 1440p or 120Hz?"  The current brand name monitors are all 60Hz and are limited in overclocking, and the Korean monitors gained such popularity because you could overclock up to 120Hz.  So what am I saying?

A new monitor is now available out of SK, and that monitor is the Qnix QX2710!  This is a PLS panel (better than IPS in some ways) with a 2560x1440 resolution.  But most importantly, this monitor can be overclocked up to 120Hz! This refresh rate has been confirmed, there is no frame skipping like on some other monitors.

I bought a Qnix QX2710 off of eBay about a week ago, and am happy to say it has no dead pixels and very little backlight bleeding. These monitors are also less expensive than the current IPS panels also on eBay. So if you're looking into getting a new monitor, I'd check out the QX2710.  I don't know if I'm allowed to link to outside forums, but there's a couple threads over on OCN if you're skeptical.  This isn't an advertisement, more of a PSA because overclockable 1440p monitors are going to become popular very fast, and with popularity comes price gouging, so get it while you can! If you have any questions, let me know!

PS: Good work on the forum Slick and crew! It actually works now! 

really, really interesting... how about ghosting and motion blur?

MAIN Core V21 | i7 5820K @ 4.2 1.21v | Corsair H100i + NF-F12 | Asrock X99M Killer | Crucial Sport 4x4GB 2400 CAS16 @ 2666 CAS15 | 290X DCUII OC @ 1115/1450 1.3v | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + 830 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Corsair AX650

It's still an 8ms response time, so there's going to be some motion blur for sure.  However, I've never owned anything less than 8ms, so I'm not really the one to ask.

Got it, hope there will be some generous-wealthy guy able to compare this to the IPS Korean monitors like yamakasi/crossover, even if we know the difference between the two technologies

MAIN Core V21 | i7 5820K @ 4.2 1.21v | Corsair H100i + NF-F12 | Asrock X99M Killer | Crucial Sport 4x4GB 2400 CAS16 @ 2666 CAS15 | 290X DCUII OC @ 1115/1450 1.3v | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + 830 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Corsair AX650

PLS panel is nothing more than Samsung version of the IPS panel. It's like LG with their eIPS, H-IPS, and AH-IPS panel series, or Sharp P-IPS panels, and so on.
They all have their strength and weaknesses, but the difference is <5-10%. Absolutely not a decision factor, unless there is something you really want and requires you to be picky.
Samsung says that the PLS is an evolution of their previews Super-IPS panels. And the improvement numbers are compared to their previous IPS technology, Super-IPS, not with what’s on the market.

One small detail you forgot to mention PapaSmurf6768, is that these cheap Korean monitors are faulty, non-certified for sale, about to be bin, monitor panel sold to you. They are called A- panels.
Where the panels is usable, but has faults. These faults are beyond dead pixels or bright pixels. These can be many things, such as the the grid being miss formed, which makes areas of the monitor, or some pixels blurry than others. It can make some pixels see the backlight, some pixels might not be able to display really the correct color its suppose to display (might be close, but not exact), and so on.

Also, these monitors are directly connected to DVI, no regulator circuit or anything. This is how they are able to get "overclocking", at the cost of having graphic card capability issues (and they are). So you don’t know if your monitor will work on your next graphic card upgrade. Also, overclocking can burn the pixels on the screen due to over voting the pixels. And, because IPS liquid is too slow in tuning compared to TN, despite the over voltage done to them to turn faster, you get a strange blurry effect going on. Many think it's 120Hz in action, but really blurry mess they are having. Next to a true 120Hz monitor and you'll see what true 120Hz should look like.

Believe me, is 120Hz IPS panel was possible, it would have been done long time ago. The market is pretty big, for sure, and TV's are included as well. LG is the largest manufacture of IPS panels, and they sale TVs. Believe me, if they could, they would, it allow them to have proper 3D TV with shutter glasses, and not the polarized filter thing that they are using which isn't really great.

IPS panels technology is moving fast, no doubt, soon, we will see true 120Hz IPS panels as they get faster and faster at every generation. But, today is not today. Maybe in the next 3-5 years (so your next monitor, after this one).

Also, these cheap Korean monitor have no warranty of any kind. First of all they dead and bright pixel warranty is filled with conditions to not cover you. Unlike, manufactures like Dell, you have to pay shipping to ship to them. That will be expensive. They have special rates, because they are a business and does large amount of orders.. you don't, you get to pay a high price. It will be quiet expensive, possibly the price of the monitor too.

Oh and these monitors, as they are direct connected to DVI, or to some primitive input switch system, they don’t have a OSD menu, many of them. That means all you have, is 5-8 brightness selected, with no on screen indication on the current setting level is at. And, these monitor have no treatment done on the front. They are super glossy, all in the name to keep the monitor low cost, as anti-glare treatment, a good one, one that doesn't affect colors and sharpness, yet still avoid reflection, is costly. It's OK on small screen, like your phone. But on a 27inch, ask Mac users, it's like a mirror. And it's actually not bad on a Mac, because the glossy glass panel on the display is actually reducing reflections. If you remove it (it's magnets holding it, go ahead and try), now you'll see how the panel is mirror like. It's fine if you have no light source behind you when you use the monitor, and the computer monitor is facing the back of a window, or you are in a cave or something. But if that's not the case, it will reflect everything during the day, and your lights at night.

Also, I noticed that people that buy them, and jump into loving them, is because they come from a shitty budget and/or super old TN panel monitor to this. They have in their hand a pretty good IPS panel, true 8-bit panel. So, it all depends on your standards. I could have showed them an decent CRT monitor (the old monitors with a big tube), and they'll crap in their pants, as so awesome the image will be, and how there is 0 flickering, as it's a decent one, and not the crap vomit that people bought at the time, and got a flickering mess, and sucky colors and everything.

PLS panel is nothing more than Samsung version of the IPS panel. It's like LG with their eIPS, H-IPS, and AH-IPS panel series, or Sharp P-IPS panels, and so on.

They all have their strength and weaknesses, but the difference is <5-10%. Absolutely not a decision factor, unless there is something you really want and requires you to be picky.

Samsung says that the PLS is an evolution of their previews Super-IPS panels. And the improvement numbers are compared to their previous IPS technology, Super-IPS, not with what’s on the market.

One small detail you forgot to mention PapaSmurf6768, is that these cheap Korean monitors are faulty, non-certified for sale, about to be bin, monitor panel sold to you. They are called A- panels.

Where the panels is usable, but has faults. These faults are beyond dead pixels or bright pixels. These can be many things, such as the the grid being miss formed, which makes areas of the monitor, or some pixels blurry than others. It can make some pixels see the backlight, some pixels might not be able to display really the correct color its suppose to display (might be close, but not exact), and so on.

Also, these monitors are directly connected to DVI, no regulator circuit or anything. This is how they are able to get "overclocking", at the cost of having graphic card capability issues (and they are). So you don’t know if your monitor will work on your next graphic card upgrade. Also, overclocking can burn the pixels on the screen due to over voting the pixels. And, because IPS liquid is too slow in tuning compared to TN, despite the over voltage done to them to turn faster, you get a strange blurry effect going on. Many think it's 120Hz in action, but really blurry mess they are having. Next to a true 120Hz monitor and you'll see what true 120Hz should look like.

Believe me, is 120Hz IPS panel was possible, it would have been done long time ago. The market is pretty big, for sure, and TV's are included as well. LG is the largest manufacture of IPS panels, and they sale TVs. Believe me, if they could, they would, it allow them to have proper 3D TV with shutter glasses, and not the polarized filter thing that they are using which isn't really great.

IPS panels technology is moving fast, no doubt, soon, we will see true 120Hz IPS panels as they get faster and faster at every generation. But, today is not today. Maybe in the next 3-5 years (so your next monitor, after this one).

Also, these cheap Korean monitor have no warranty of any kind. First of all they dead and bright pixel warranty is filled with conditions to not cover you. Unlike, manufactures like Dell, you have to pay shipping to ship to them. That will be expensive. They have special rates, because they are a business and does large amount of orders.. you don't, you get to pay a high price. It will be quiet expensive, possibly the price of the monitor too.

Oh and these monitors, as they are direct connected to DVI, or to some primitive input switch system, they don’t have a OSD menu, many of them. That means all you have, is 5-8 brightness selected, with no on screen indication on the current setting level is at. And, these monitor have no treatment done on the front. They are super glossy, all in the name to keep the monitor low cost, as anti-glare treatment, a good one, one that doesn't affect colors and sharpness, yet still avoid reflection, is costly. It's OK on small screen, like your phone. But on a 27inch, ask Mac users, it's like a mirror. And it's actually not bad on a Mac, because the glossy glass panel on the display is actually reducing reflections. If you remove it (it's magnets holding it, go ahead and try), now you'll see how the panel is mirror like. It's fine if you have no light source behind you when you use the monitor, and the computer monitor is facing the back of a window, or you are in a cave or something. But if that's not the case, it will reflect everything during the day, and your lights at night.

Also, I noticed that people that buy them, and jump into loving them, is because they come from a shitty budget and/or super old TN panel monitor to this. They have in their hand a pretty good IPS panel, true 8-bit panel. So, it all depends on your standards. I could have showed them an decent CRT monitor (the old monitors with a big tube), and they'll crap in their pants, as so awesome the image will be, and how there is 0 flickering, as it's a decent one, and not the crap vomit that people bought at the time, and got a flickering mess, and sucky colors and everything.

Great analysis.

Personally, I don't mind 120Hz (I mean I would not try to achieve that on this monitor), I just cannot stand that big manufacturers charge you extra 3-400€ for "quality checked/A+++ panels" even for entry level "pro" monitors (and even them have bleeding, shitty calibration, plastic stands, ecc...)

GoodBytes- What you say might be true, but it doesn't really matter.  PLS panels are like IPS yes, with just a few changes.  I didn't get the monitor because it was PLS, I got it because it was cheap.  I also understand this isn't an A+ panel like they're using in the Dells, if it was it wouldn't cost $300.  For people like me who don't need a perfect picture, but just a "good enough" picture, it's great.  I did come from a TN panel which is why I love it so much, and you're also right that I haven't actually used a high end 1440p monitor.  Ignorance is bliss though, and this panel suits my needs nicely.  Same goes for a TN 120Hz panel.  Never seen one, don't need to see one.  I'm running 96Hz on this monitor and the image looks amazing to me, why do I care? People have been running overclocked IPS panels for almost a year now, if not longer, and many have had no problems.  The direct DVI connection can also help you, without all the extra processing you get less input lag.  This monitor is also so cheap that if it dies on me, I can get another one and STILL not have spent the same amount I would have on a Dell or ASUS.  There is a one year warranty, eBay sellers guarantee that.  All I'm saying is you might know a lot about monitors, and it's great that you're sharing what you know, but in the end the Qnix is a good panel for those who can't afford a high end IPS and can afford to take a bit of a risk.

Correct. And that's perfectly fine. If you enjoy your computer, than I consider that I have help someone successfully. And if that monitor did the trick, than awesome! :D

But it is important for others to know what they are getting, because others might mind quiet a bit.

Also, you have different grades of plastic. a 300$ laptop, will most likelly falls apart if you drop it. But Lenovo ThinkPad serias laptop, which are in plastic, are much more durable than MacBook Pros alluminium design. Those laptops are tanks.

Yes direct DVI can help you... but the input lag reduction is not noticible in any case. Your gaming mouse, even wired, has a lot of input lag, but you see no one complaining.

TV's have an input lag over 100ms, and you see no one noticing any delays, or even audio/video desync.

Now, that we have a console like the WiiU, it can really show the input lag of a TV in action:

No one cared or noticed before.. now it's a topic of conversation when buying a TV. Heh.

People make such a huge deal our of input lag, it's over the top.

Yes, I am not saying that we should use 300ms input lag monitors or TVs. But between 25ms and 20ms... I think you'll have no problem sleeping at night.

Do these monitor come overclocked? if not, how do you overclocked them?

Case- Cooler Master Haf X
CPU- i7 2600k @ 4.4
CPU cooler- Nzxt Kraken x40 in push pull with Noctua NF-A14 fans
MB- Asus Sabethooth z77
Memory- 16gb Corsair Vengance @ 1866mgz
SSD- Vertex 4 256gb
Second Storage- WD Caviar Black 2tb
Power Supply- OCZ ZX 850w
GPU- Asus Strix Geforce 980
Sound Card- Asus Xonar DX
Opt. Drive- Pioneer Blu-Ray Burner
Monitor- Asus ROG Swift
Windows 7

If you can consistently run 2560x1440 at over 120fps with high settings to actually make it worth while, then good on you....

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I took a chance and purchased one of the Korean IPS models.  And I happen to have it sitting right next to my old Dell U2711.  After calibrating it, I can say it looks the same if not better than my Dell.  Obviously that's just a subjective opinion, but I've stared at both of them quite a bit and the Dell just does not have a superior image.   Everyone speaks authoritatively about the fact that these are A- panels.  But I wonder if anyone really knows that and if so, what A- really means in terms of individual panel quality..  From my web searching I see plenty of people talking about it, but I've never read anything official from a manufacturer regarding it.  I certainly wouldn't necessarily recommend anyone do what I did with this purchase.  There are a couple of sellers who, from the reports I've read, do support their product quite well after selling it.  And I was offered a SquareTrade warranty after I bought mine.  But, it IS a big gamble.  I may have gotten quite lucky by getting a monitor with 0 dead or stuck pixels and minimal to no backlight bleed.  And the big question of course, is whether this thing will still be running fine in a few months, let a lone a few years.   I've got a few days left to buy that warranty, still considering it.  I actually wanted a monitor with the stripped down electronics and inputs to minimize input lag, so that was part of my reason to take a chance.  

Oh, and my monitors have their backs to the window but I have an artificial light source on the ceiling and behind me.  I have absolutely no problem with reflections or glare with it,  day or night.   I prefer the look of the glossy screen, but that really boils down to personal preference. 

Did you set your Dell U2711 to Adobe RGB or sRGB mode?

Also, the Qnix Qx2710 uses the same panel that Apple uses in it's thunderbold display. A true 8-bit S-IPS panel, glossy.

It must be noted that I am not talking about colors. I am talking about non certified panels. Something is wrong with the panel.  That could be ANYTHING. It might even be a simple mather of durability, which made made LG go and say "We don't think it will survive the trip to Apple, and Apple in consumer hands". Of course, because its a question of reputation, LG is being very safe. So it's fine.

Again, my point is that I have no problem in people buy those monitors. Just that, when you recommend them, TELL ME WHAT IT IS. You are not being helpful to people by saying how great it is, and then they buy it, and it's broken or has a visible flaw. Now they lost 300-400$. And now what? Buy another one, and risk again that you have a paper weight? and up paying for the price of a certified monitor?

For sure Dell, HP, LG, Acer, BenQ, etc, makes a lot of profit out of these monitors. And you can see that just by looking at specials, where you see monitors drop in significant price. For example my U2410 used to be 750$, and then one day, 24h special: 450$. But that's teh thing, you can shop arround, and while you'll definitly pay more (as the panel is certified), plus you have the service, warranty, build quality, on screen menu, engineering, inputs, etc.

It's set to sRGB.  As I said, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this to anyone else. You have to be risk tolerant to go this route.  I'm very happy with the one I got, which is not the 120 hz pls by the way, it's a 60hz IPS, Crossover is the brand.  But, it was a tough call for me. Even though I paid half as much as I would have for a Dell, I probably would have gone the Dell route again for the peace of mind if it wasn't for the fact that I wanted the reduced input lag and a semi-glossy screen.  Anyway, so far so good, but the reliability is still an open question as I have only had it for a little less than a month now.

I just wish someone would make one with a matte bezel. I'd buy a few

QNIX QX2710 Evolution-ll has a matte version on ebay

The monitor panel is not glossy, but the monitor enclosure is still is.

It's set to sRGB.  As I said, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this to anyone else. You have to be risk tolerant to go this route.  I'm very happy with the one I got, which is not the 120 hz pls by the way, it's a 60hz IPS, Crossover is the brand.  But, it was a tough call for me. Even though I paid half as much as I would have for a Dell, I probably would have gone the Dell route again for the peace of mind if it wasn't for the fact that I wanted the reduced input lag and a semi-glossy screen.  Anyway, so far so good, but the reliability is still an open question as I have only had it for a little less than a month now.

The U2711 is a wide gamut monitor. What I suggest, of course, it's all personal preferences at this point, is to set the monitor to Adobe RGB color profile, and set Windows color profile to sRGB, and not the monitor profile (this applies for Adobe RGB). The Crossover is a standard gamut monitor. How do I know this... back light. White-LED is the only currently used back light that is "standard' gamut. RGB LED, GB-LED, CCFL are all wide gamut.

Anyway try that. The only drawback, is that in games, as they don't follow color profiles, colors will be a bit more saturated. Same if you use Chrome. Chrome is the only web browser that doesn't support color profiles.

• 2 weeks later...

well the bezel is attached on with 6 screws all you need is a bit of matte paint aaand boom, i am considering buying this monitor and doing this maybe will post some pics

i share your hatetred of glossy panels and bezels

need i mention some of these panels can do 120hz not all some

Some of the issues that GoodBytes have mentioned are exactly the reason why I decided to go for a Dell U2713HM instead of one of the cheaper A- IPS panels. I simply am not willing to take the risk of getting a monitor that may work for a couple weeks/months/whatever and then have problems become noticeable. Not to say that the Dell monitor won't have problems or that the A- Korean IPS monitors will have problems, but the warranties are very different. For some people, myself included, they see the value of paying a few extra hundred dollars and getting a great warranty (like the one dell has) not to mention the different inputs, height/pivot/swivel, USB ports, etc. 

I really hope these monitors work out for you guys and if they do, you'll have tons of extra money to spend on games :D

i5 3570K • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP • 2x Asus GTX 670 SLI • Asus Sabertooth z77 • Asus PCE-AC66 • Crucial M4 256GB • Corsair AX 850 • Sound Blaster Xz • Fractal Define R4 • Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 • Dell U2713HM • Sennheiser RS 180 • Fanatec Porsche GT2 Wheel • Clubsport Pedals

• 1 month later...

Some people have taken apart the bezel off these monitors and spray painted them matte. You could do that if you are willing. 

Just so you all know any Korean based 27in 1440p monitor at 120hrz is being OCd and youll need a fairly new and faily powerful card to even use it. I remember when people were buying theses initially and randomly getting ones that would do 120hrz, its all down to a specific controller in the monitor.