Hard Drive more Video Editing

I want to know is it possible to use Seagate Ironwolf Pro over Barracuda Pro since of the price different. Ironwolf pro is much cheaper than Barracuda Pro. I want to know would there be any loss or issue I might run into if I use it for video editing. Would I suffer data loss or data transfer not fast enough. If possible does the Pro out weight the Con.

*I chose Seagate over WD cause Seagate would honor their warranty unlike WD with their excuse of "oh this is an OEM and we don't fix them". Amazon, newegg. bestbuy, B&H and even WD website all sell OEM the only place that sell retail is Microcenter. (I know cause i did deep research with WD model number and found many store just sell OEM).

** I know Backblaze report that seagate has higher failure rate but I rather chose someone with their service if thing goes bad.

Here a picture of pcpartpicker on Seagate pro Drive shorted by price. 

Spoiler

chrome_X0xdOwaH5D.png.625db2f66fe23a05b4c17e28b871826e.png

The Barracuda drives have significantly higher failure rate than the Ironwolf,

The Ironwolf is much better quality,Barracuda drives are pretty much on my garbage tier.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

14 hours ago, Kagami Tsukino said:

I want to know is it possible to use Seagate Ironwolf Pro over Barracuda Pro since of the price different. Ironwolf pro is much cheaper than Barracuda Pro. I want to know would there be any loss or issue I might run into if I use it for video editing. Would I suffer data loss or data transfer not fast enough. If possible does the Pro out weight the Con.

*I chose Seagate over WD cause Seagate would honor their warranty unlike WD with their excuse of "oh this is an OEM and we don't fix them". Amazon, newegg. bestbuy, B&H and even WD website all sell OEM the only place that sell retail is Microcenter. (I know cause i did deep research with WD model number and found many store just sell OEM).

** I know Backblaze report that seagate has higher failure rate but I rather chose someone with their service if thing goes bad.

Here a picture of pcpartpicker on Seagate pro Drive shorted by price. 

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

chrome_X0xdOwaH5D.png.625db2f66fe23a05b4c17e28b871826e.png

14 hours ago, Vishera said:

The Barracuda drives have significantly higher failure rate than the Ironwolf,

The Ironwolf is much better quality,Barracuda drives are pretty much on my garbage tier.

Agreed, I would highly avoid Barracuda drives especially if you are video editing. You could lose all of your footage and projects at moments notice.

That's an interesting note on WD drives. I have bought WD drives from Best Buy and Amazon before and have not encountered issues with their warranty service/program. 

I am currently using this LaCie RAID hard drive at work and I am loving it - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QD36RSJ/ref=twister_B076DCQJ1W?tag=thedroideffec-20&_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Pair with this ssd for caches - https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Portable-SSD-MU-PA500B/dp/B073GZBT36/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=samsung+ssd+500gb+portable&qid=1569257225&s=electronics&sr=1-3

The durability of a hard disk is found or defined by the combination of the type of disk purchased and its use given. That is, if you use a machine every day but never turn it off, you will need a hard disk that has the characteristic of staying on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, if it doesn't have this feature it is more than clear that the chances of the HDD being damaged are higher than when you use a drive manufactured to work 24/7 because the HDD used is not made for that, another example would be to internally use an HDD for writing or recording new data in a daily basis when the hard drive was originally made for external use and projected only to store data that will be accessed a couple of times but still data that is nice to keep as good memory, again, excessive writing will damage the unit because it wasn't made for that. Or also use a consumer projected hard drive in a data center that requires NAS level hard drives and so on...

Video editing is considered heavy workload, the IronWolf Pro will definetely be a good option due to its enterprise like NAS-level performance, but there is also another one that's made for recordings of videos, take a look at the SkyHawk surveillance hard drives too, they also have a very high endurance because of its nature of being manufactured for video recordings:

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

20 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

The durability of a hard disk is found or defined by the combination of the type of disk purchased and its use given. That is, if you use a machine every day but never turn it off, you will need a hard disk that has the characteristic of staying on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, if it doesn't have this feature it is more than clear that the chances of the HDD being damaged are higher than when you use a drive manufactured to work 24/7 because the HDD used is not made for that, another example would be to internally use an HDD for writing or recording new data in a daily basis when the hard drive was originally made for external use and projected only to store data that will be accessed a couple of times but still data that is nice to keep as good memory, again, excessive writing will damage the unit because it wasn't made for that. Or also use a consumer projected hard drive in a data center that requires NAS level hard drives and so on...

Video editing is considered heavy workload, the IronWolf Pro will definetely be a good option due to its enterprise like NAS-level performance, but there is also another one that's made for recordings of videos, take a look at the SkyHawk surveillance hard drives too, they also have a very high endurance because of its nature of being manufactured for video recordings:

Doesn't Surveillance drives have lower read speeds but significantly higher write speeds than any other type of HDD?

I would prefer the IronWolf Pro.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Better to get the IronWolf Pro. They have better performance and better solution if your HDD breaks.

20 hours ago, Vishera said:

Doesn't Surveillance drives have lower read speeds but significantly higher write speeds than any other type of HDD?

I would prefer the IronWolf Pro.

Oh yeah! But when you step up to something like a NAS or a Surveillance unit, the workload limit jumps to 180TB per year with units that can operate 24/7, a normal consumer drive can handle approximately 55TB per year when used 8 hours a day five days a week. So the lifespan of NAS and surveillance drives are about the same but surveillance drives are a bit cheaper and in a real world application you wouldn't really notice a big difference.

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

6 hours ago, Aashirbad Thapa said:

Better to get the IronWolf Pro. They have better performance and better solution if your HDD breaks.

It is, yes! The IronWolf is proven good option due to its enterprise-like-endurance, they still can not handle 300TB a year like an enterprise NAS HDDs working 24/7 but due to the performance they have demonstrated anyone can easily choose IronWolf like their main drive for heavy workloads.