New part anxiety?

Tobleh

I'm pretty far behind in upgrading a lot of my parts, but for some reason I get a lot of anxiety about buying new stuff? I have a really shitty case, a terrible tv as a monitor, and a fairly old R9 380x gpu, but I can't bring myself to upgrade even when I've had multiple chances to. The only reason I moved up to the ryzen platform a couple years ago was because I had my partner click the order button for me. Has anyone else dealt with this type of anxiety, or am I just an idiot? haha

Current System: R7 1700x 3.93Ghz, PowerColor R9 380x 1.14ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz, EVGA 650 GS

Just now, Tobleh said:

am I just an idiot?

No, you're just cheap. Just like me lol.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Not to that extreme but I definitely deal with some anxiety when making hardware purchases. Always worried about:

1. Is anything going to be DOA?
  2. Is anything going to be incompatible?
  3. Can I get them for a better price elsewhere?
  4. Do I really need this? (almost always no)

I do push the buy button myself but it's a feeling I always find myself dealing with at checkout.

4 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

No, you're just cheap. Just like me lol.

That's fair to be honest haha. I hate having the worst system out of my friends, but I just can't bring myself to buy better parts. My only other upgrades have been because the old ones died haha.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Not to that extreme but I definitely deal with some anxiety when making hardware purchases. Always worried about:

1. Is anything going to be DOA?
  2. Is anything going to be incompatible?
  3. Can I get them for a better price elsewhere?
  4. Do I really need this? (almost always no)

I do push the buy button myself but it's a feeling I always find myself dealing with at checkout.

I DEFINITELY worry about all those things too. I've had two msi motherboards come DOA when I was first getting into computer building, and I always second guess whether I really need new stuff or not.

Current System: R7 1700x 3.93Ghz, PowerColor R9 380x 1.14ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz, EVGA 650 GS

12 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Is anything going to be DOA?

When I bought my 1070, it was my first purchase off of Ebay. I was worried sick about it being DOA, but it all worked out in the end.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

38 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

When I bought my 1070, it was my first purchase off of Ebay. I was worried sick about it being DOA, but it all worked out in the end.

I was worried about my GTX 1080 Strix being DOA from eBay as well, couple of months later I slapped a Kraken G12 on it and I've overclocked the nuts off of it at this point lol.

For what it's worth, the card is binned really well. 2164MHz and 11GHz memory is stable without issue. I do usually just run it stock though, and the 40-45C load temps are nice.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

eBay has amazing buyer protection. It's the selling part that's rough.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

45 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I had anxiety buying my Xeon E5-2698v3's off eBay. Random seller, no idea how legitimate they were but so far things have turned out good. Still working my way to quad-channel though so for all I know a channel could still be dead.

I really shouldn't be telling myself that right now...

ME TOO.

What goes through my brain is mostly me wondering if it's the right product, or if I should get something else/cheaper/more expensive. Have so much problems just choosing and buying something.

I think I am just very perfectionist in what I buy that I want to be sure it is the right product for the right price, but can't really be sure so I spend so much time just thinking about it but not actually pressing buy.

I have had a family member press the buy button for me multiple times in things....

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

11 minutes ago, Mihle said:

ME TOO.

What goes through my brain is mostly me wondering if it's the right product, or if I should get something else/cheaper/more expensive. Have so much problems just choosing and buying something.

I think I am just very perfectionist in what I buy that I want to be sure it is the right product for the right price, but can't really be sure so I spend so much time just thinking about it but not actually pressing buy.

I have had a family member press the buy button for me multiple times in things....

I think perfectionism plays a big role into it for me too. I worry about getting the absolute most for my money, even if anything I buy is a massive upgrade from what I already have. And since the market moves so fast it's difficult to just buy something because people are already building hype for the next generation of things and I OBVIOUSLY wanna wait for that before upgrading.
Pretty much all of my hands on computer skills and knowledge nowadays comes from fixing and upgrading other people's pc's because mine is so rarely touched haha.