After cloning drives, drivers a messed up

Go to solution Solved by PingPonguin,

I'm going to solve this and move the thread over to the troubleshoot category, since that's probably better for my issue.

Recently I cloned my laptop's old hard drive to a new Crucial MX500 250gb SSD using Acronis True Image. After quite some troubles, I finally got it to work, but some of my drivers don't work (the most important one being my HD auUntitled.jpg.cce94dc8250a8efc9ab2a0a4bbbc1638.jpgdio driver which doesn't recognize the 3.5mm jack nor the integrated speakers). I attempted to go to the HP website to download the HD Audio Driver, but after installation and restarting it nothing happened. Intel Driver and support assistant did not help either. When I click troubleshoot for audio issues, it doesn't do anything either. It only says "Hardware changes might not have been detected" and then all I can do is close the troubleshooter. When I take a look at playback devices and turn on disable devices, it states "no audio devices are installed". I have a screenshot that shows the device status from device manager. Anyone got any solutions for me? I'd like to be able to plug in some earbuds to my 3.5mm jack.

Desktop:  Intel Core i5-6400 | Zalman CNPS9500AT CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 1050 SC GAMING 2GB | 1x8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Gigabyte H170N-WIFI | Intel 600p 256GB SSD | Seagate Firecuda 1TB SSHDCorsair CX450M (Gray Version) PSU | Thermaltake Core V1 Mini-ITX Case |

Fresh install windows ? Backup any files you need 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

16 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Fresh install windows ? Backup any files you need 

It wasnt a fresh install, I only cloned my old laptop drive to a clean SSD. I also still have my old hard drive that I took out. Do you know how I can deal with code 32 in device manager though?

Desktop:  Intel Core i5-6400 | Zalman CNPS9500AT CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 1050 SC GAMING 2GB | 1x8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Gigabyte H170N-WIFI | Intel 600p 256GB SSD | Seagate Firecuda 1TB SSHDCorsair CX450M (Gray Version) PSU | Thermaltake Core V1 Mini-ITX Case |

23 minutes ago, PingPonguin said:

It wasnt a fresh install, I only cloned my old laptop drive to a clean SSD. I also still have my old hard drive that I took out. Do you know how I can deal with code 32 in device manager though?

No I’m suggesting to do a clean install of windows.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

25 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

No I’m suggesting to do a clean install of windows.

Won't I have to reinstall everything though? Also, if I do reinstall Windows, how will I keep the Windows license that came with my laptop?

I'm going to solve this and move the thread over to the troubleshoot category, since that's probably better for my issue.

9 hours ago, PingPonguin said:

Won't I have to reinstall everything though? Also, if I do reinstall Windows, how will I keep the Windows license that came with my laptop?

Hence I said - backup the files you need. Yes you will need to reinstall many things (depending how many progs you have installed) and as long as you login with the same email address it should reactive automatically. 

Just use good clone program like Macrium Reflect. And never clone working os - use second computer for clone or prepare usb with Macrium Reflect (it's called rescue USB) and boot from it, then clone. And do not listen people who knows only one method for everything (like "made clean install"). :)

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

...And never clone working os - use second computer for clone or prepare usb with Macrium Reflect (it's called rescue USB) and boot from it, then clone...

Horsefeathers. I have cloned from a working OS many times with Macrium Refoect and never had a problem doing so. The only time I've ever used the rescue media is when I'm having to restore an image of the OS, etc.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

37 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Horsefeathers. I have cloned from a working OS many times with Macrium Refoect and never had a problem doing so. The only time I've ever used the rescue media is when I'm having to restore an image of the OS, etc.

That is you. You're person who knows how it works and probably do not made lot of stuff including windows update while cloning. :) But I recommend offline clonning as extra security.

Take note that VSS only allow program to accessing files that are locked/used so you can copy them. It's not service that trace system activity and re-clone files that was changed during cloning. Imagine that you have wallpaper and start cloning your system. Then, in the middle of operation, you replace this wallpaper. Is your cloned system contains new or old file? And that is only not important file.

5 hours ago, homeap5 said:

That is you. You're person who knows how it works and probably do not made lot of stuff including windows update while cloning. :) But I recommend offline clonning as extra security.

Take note that VSS only allow program to accessing files that are locked/used so you can copy them. It's not service that trace system activity and re-clone files that was changed during cloning. Imagine that you have wallpaper and start cloning your system. Then, in the middle of operation, you replace this wallpaper. Is your cloned system contains new or old file? And that is only not important file.

Cloning programs like Macrium Reflect use Shadow Copy so, in theory (and, in my case, in practice), changes after the clone has started should not have any effect. In the case of the changing wallpaper, the wallpaper in use at the time the cloning process started will be the one that will be on the clone.

It should be common sense not to be using the drive being cloned during the cloning process but thank you for reminding me that common sense is not so common.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

4 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Cloning programs like Macrium Reflect use Shadow Copy so, in theory (and, in my case, in practice), changes after the clone has started should not have any effect. In the case of the changing wallpaper, the wallpaper in use at the time the cloning process started will be the one that will be on the clone.

It should be common sense not to be using the drive being cloned during the cloning process but thank you for reminding me that common sense is not so common.

But if you look at drive activity even on idle using procmon, you'll see that there is no such thing as "doing nothing". Also, VSS do not create copy of all files, just give you access to file by reading is copy if needed (if it's in use). That is obvious - system cannot create copy of every file in your system, it will take too much space and time. Anyway, I had once problem with cloned drive - only once when I was using VSS, so I'm trying to avoid that.

6 hours ago, homeap5 said:

But if you look at drive activity even on idle using procmon, you'll see that there is no such thing as "doing nothing". Also, VSS do not create copy of all files, just give you access to file by reading is copy if needed (if it's in use). That is obvious - system cannot create copy of every file in your system, it will take too much space and time. Anyway, I had once problem with cloned drive - only once when I was using VSS, so I'm trying to avoid that.

The only time I had a problem with a clone was when I was updating a data only backup by cloning and it turned out the data drive had become corrupted (even though I could still access all the files). Fortunately, I had another backup (I essentially backup up my backups) and I remembered which files I had just added so I just copied those files to another drive, reformatted the corrupted drive and the backup drive on which the clone had failed, restored the data to the two reformatted drives from the second backup (this time, using FreeFileSync instead of cloning), then copied the new files I had copied to the three drives. From then on, I only use FreeFileSync to update my data drive backups. I've always used Macrium Reflect to image my C:\ drive.

The only time I clone a drive anymore is when I'm replacing a System drive with another one, such as an HDD to an SSD or when upgrading a system drive to a larger drive. For updating, replacing, and upgrading data only drives, I use FreeFileSync; it's faster, more fault tolerant (and will report any errors rather than just fail), and more efficient.

Jeannie