Website keeps forwarding to track.nuxues.com

SRRAE

Hi,

My browser default home page is the msn.co.uk.  When I click on most news articles msn.co.uk, loads the article for a fraction of a second and then forwards to track.nuxues.com site.  It does this on both Edge and Firefox.

I have bitdefender installed and its not found anything untoward and it only happens on links on the MSN.co.uk site.
Is it likely that I have a virus or it likely its the site with where these articles are hosted?

Yes most likely you have a virus in the computer.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

You should grab Malwarebytes to remove malicious applications. You should also remove Firefox extensions you do not recognize by typing about:addons into your address bar.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

The only Firefox extension I have is Honey, which I tried a couple of times.  I have installed Malwarebytes and it has found nothing.

Im wondering if I should just reinstall windows to be safe

12 hours ago, SRRAE said:

Im wondering if I should just reinstall windows to be safe

Let's not go that far. There are steps to try first. Have you tried reinstalling browsers or other browsers besides those mentioned? Have you tried in Safe Mode? What about using your phone on same network? And if you can, using PC on another network.

This could be issue with your router, or even ISP. In which case you don't fix it by OS reinstall. Safe Mode is great way to see if it could be software related at all.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It may be even changed dns by some malware or registry entry that affect every browser you want to use. I can handle with that type of infection (if it is infection), but first try methods recommended by @LogicalDrm.

AdwCleaner can find something and made basic repair.

12 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Let's not go that far. There are steps to try first. Have you tried reinstalling browsers or other browsers besides those mentioned? Have you tried in Safe Mode? What about using your phone on same network? And if you can, using PC on another network.

This could be issue with your router, or even ISP. In which case you don't fix it by OS reinstall. Safe Mode is great way to see if it could be software related at all.

It only happened the day my original post.  The next day it didn't do it on any browser which is making me think it was something else that was compromised. Those news pages are full of adverts.

1 hour ago, SRRAE said:

It only happened the day my original post.  The next day it didn't do it on any browser which is making me think it was something else that was compromised. Those news pages are full of adverts.

So use AdwCleaner first. If you can't find any suspicious files and malware, you can (as last step) use SpyHunter for analyze (it has not so good reputation, but still - it was the only utility that found that type of malware for me few times; but some experience is needed since SH only detect problems, but not resolve it in free version; anyway, you'll get full info about locations in registry and in filesystem, that should be enough).

Used AdwCleaner and it found nothing untoward.  I installed SpyHunter which again reported nothing untoward.

I ran AdwCleaner again and that recommended uninstalling SpyHunter lol

14 hours ago, SRRAE said:

Used AdwCleaner and it found nothing untoward.  I installed SpyHunter which again reported nothing untoward.

I ran AdwCleaner again and that recommended uninstalling SpyHunter lol

Yes, uninstall SH as soon as you finish scan and fix problems. But that is unusual - SH always find something that you can fix. It may seems to be unrelated, but sill worth to investigate.

5 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Yes, uninstall SH as soon as you finish scan and fix problems. But that is unusual - SH always find something that you can fix. It may seems to be unrelated, but sill worth to investigate.

SH found one thing which wasn't really worth doing anything about.  It was a website cookie which had access to my webcam, which I used to scan a QR code.