DP (out) to DVI (in) resolution problems on an old monitor

mografik

Hey everyone. I was hoping for some help on an issue I'm having:

I've recently built a new PC and just installed the graphics card. It's a Nvidia 2070 Super, and unlike my old 980Ti, it loses the DVI output, and instead has Displayport and HDMI only. FWIW the PC functions as a graphics / animation workstation, and is less of a gaming-centric build.

The monitor I'm using is an oldie but a goodie. It's a NEC 3090wqxi that unfortunately only has DVI inputs. The monitor runs at 2560 x 1600 resolution.

I've been trying to get to 2070S to output 2560 x 1600 to the monitor, but nothing seems to work. I've tried:

HDMI (out) to DVI (in) cable - maximum output is something weird like 1600 x 1050

Displayport to DVI - - same result as above

An Active dual link adapter to go from DP to DVI - this was really glitchy. I could tell the PC to output 2560 x 1600, but it the picture was scaled and cropped horrendously.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? If I can't get it to work, then I'm faced with conceding and sticking with previous-gen GPUs, or conceding to buying a new monitor. Neither of which are particularly attractive options, and buying a new monitor of comparative quality to my current one (but with DP in) would be expensive.

... oh and the store I bought the active dual link adapter recommended I try one of these: 

https://www.ebuyer.com/636052-startech-com-6-feet-displayport-to-dvi-active-adapter-converter-cable-dp-to-dp2dvimm6bs

... but there's nothing suggesting it'll give any different result to me using a DVI cable and the adapter (as fas I know)

alternatively, there exist much more expensive products like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Active-Adapter-Converter-Black/dp/B00A493CNY 

Would something like this make a difference?

Thanks for any advice!

If that doesn't work try working with a DVi to HDMI switch box. It might be good but if you really want to stick to that monitor try using a switch box.

31 minutes ago, Aashirbad Thapa said:

If that doesn't work try working with a DVi to HDMI switch box. It might be good but if you really want to stick to that monitor try using a switch box.

Thanks, can you send me a link to the kind of thing you mean. Does it have to be an active / powered device?

image.png.8856c241961f8d1bbe1807a2f4ff31ae.png

It must be powered though.

i dont know where you live but this is the best configured i can find

https://www.amazon.com/HDAS-100G-Theater-Button-Source-Switching/dp/B00Q70KKH0/ref=sr_1_1?qid=1569217824&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A9244151011&s=audio-video-accessories&sr=1-1

just find it near electronic store near you and test it out. I am also not sure this might work or not. but it has a actual video converter here.

2560×1600 requires dual-link DVI.

HDMI to DVI adapters and most DP to DVI adapters are single-link only, which will impose the limitations you have experienced. You need a DP to dual-link DVI active adapter. This is difficult since there are many such adapters which are fake, and are really only single-link.

The bulky expensive one you linked is genuine, and I've tested it personally. You can usually find it a lot cheaper on eBay (it's repackaged under a number of different brands including Dell, Accell, Bizlink, and Startech, so shop around for an adapter that looks like that on eBay, might be any of those brands).

Hey everyone.

Thanks for your responses. Still having trouble with this.

I've tried a couple of things. a dual link active adapter, AND just now a dual link active DVI to DP cable. Neither work. I spoke to tech support from the store I bought both from, and they couldn't come up with anything.

Is a box like the one you linked any different? I'm told that the cables I've tried should work. Kinda tearing out my hair on this one.

Would appreciate any further help! Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Managed to get something of a solution to this, if it's of any use to anyone:

I ended up ordering this startech converter:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Active-Adapter-Converter-Black/dp/B00A493CNY?tag=linustechtips-21

... and finally, it worked! I'd question of the other 2 adapters I had tried before this really were 'active' as described. This is the only one that has a USB port in addition to the displayport out, to power the active electronics.

Shame the adapter had to be so expensive, but the others were rubbish!

On 9/22/2019 at 12:02 PM, mografik said:

Hey everyone. I was hoping for some help on an issue I'm having:

I've recently built a new PC and just installed the graphics card. It's a Nvidia 2070 Super, and unlike my old 980Ti, it loses the DVI output, and instead has Displayport and HDMI only. FWIW the PC functions as a graphics / animation workstation, and is less of a gaming-centric build.

The monitor I'm using is an oldie but a goodie. It's a NEC 3090wqxi that unfortunately only has DVI inputs. The monitor runs at 2560 x 1600 resolution.

I've been trying to get to 2070S to output 2560 x 1600 to the monitor, but nothing seems to work. I've tried:

HDMI (out) to DVI (in) cable - maximum output is something weird like 1600 x 1050

Displayport to DVI - - same result as above

An Active dual link adapter to go from DP to DVI - this was really glitchy. I could tell the PC to output 2560 x 1600, but it the picture was scaled and cropped horrendously.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? If I can't get it to work, then I'm faced with conceding and sticking with previous-gen GPUs, or conceding to buying a new monitor. Neither of which are particularly attractive options, and buying a new monitor of comparative quality to my current one (but with DP in) would be expensive.

I had the same issue recently. One of my (3) monitors is an old Benq 22" that I used portrait for web browsing on certain sites that look stupid on a 1440p screen. It's only got RGB and DVI inputs. Luckily I still had an old HDMI to DVI cable that works fine on my 5700XT @ 1920x1080

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.