Devices remembering network by what?

SaHaRzZz
Go to solution Solved by paddy-stone,

yes, in most cases they will just connect as before if you use same SSID and password. This is really handy for so called smart devices, where the setup is complicated unnecessarily... yes echo I'm talking about you you bitch! ?

When I bought my last AP/mesh system I was going to re-do everything... so did, and then the bloody echo dots we have wouldn't have it, so after wasting like 2 hours trying to get the effing echos and stuff to work... had to change it to the previously used SSID and pass.

So ive got a router connected to a modem/router,

this specific router is there just to handle my smart devices, and I need to switch to another one, but problem is..

When I did it some of my smart devices refused to connect to anything else, even after resetting and I tried so many methods, I ended up just undoing everything and giving up on it.

But recently I changed my modem/router to another one, and matched the same SSID and password to be the same as the last one, and I saw that my phone reconnected automatically, so it got me thinking..

If I'll put another router for handling smart devices, and match the same SSID and password to what was on the last one before, will my devices just connect to it without any problems?

yes, in most cases they will just connect as before if you use same SSID and password. This is really handy for so called smart devices, where the setup is complicated unnecessarily... yes echo I'm talking about you you bitch! ?

When I bought my last AP/mesh system I was going to re-do everything... so did, and then the bloody echo dots we have wouldn't have it, so after wasting like 2 hours trying to get the effing echos and stuff to work... had to change it to the previously used SSID and pass.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, SaHaRzZz said:

But recently I changed my modem/router to another one, and matched the same SSID and password to be the same as the last one, and I saw that my phone reconnected automatically, so it got me thinking..

Personally I'm running a dual AP setup (no mesh or 802.11x) with two regular APs that have the same SSID/password combination and are running on different channels. When I walk around the house with my phone, it will constantly switch to whichever AP has the best signal and on most devices this actually works really well. Some devices act weirdly every now and then, they then refuse to reconnect (they're sticky) or they simply connect to the wrong AP, but this rarely happens, and even when it does, manually reconnecting always fixes it. So in your situation, where the old AP is taken down and then replaced with one that uses the same SSID, I don't think there will be any difficulties.

Edit: also please stop calling an access point a router.

1 hour ago, akio123008 said:

In this case I think the OP actually has a separate router, with NAT and all that, for the IOT stuff. 

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

2 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

That's actually awesome to hear, that means that it could work!

I'll try it out, thank you!

1 hour ago, akio123008 said:

Personally I'm running a dual AP setup (no mesh or 802.11x) with two regular APs that have the same SSID/password combination and are running on different channels. When I walk around the house with my phone, it will constantly switch to whichever AP has the best signal and on most devices this actually works really well. Some devices act weirdly every now and then, they then refuse to reconnect (they're sticky) or they simply connect to the wrong AP, but this rarely happens, and even when it does, manually reconnecting always fixes it. So in your situation, where the old AP is taken down and then replaced with one that uses the same SSID, I don't think there will be any difficulties.

It is a router as far as I know, with a different subnet and everything, specifically for my smart devices.

All I needed to do is to make sure that I can switch to another one without issues coming from the smart devices.

I think that is it! thank you both :) !

20 minutes ago, brwainer said:

In this case I think the OP actually has a separate router, with NAT and all that, for the IOT stuff. 

Right that's understandable.