Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thready

Stuck between X470 and B450

Posted · Original PosterOP

I don't know enough about either board or chipset and the more research I do the more confused I get. I need good VRMs and a nice PCB that I can maybe play with voltages a little on.

I'm getting a 3600 and I'd like to OC it HOPEFULLY to 4 GHz but I'll settle for 3600X stock speeds. I want to OC my 3000 ram to 3200 and keep the CAS 15 number but I know that may not be possible. 

I'd prefer 2 m.2 slots as I have an NVME and an mSata drive. And I would like more than 6 sata ports but I realize that may not be doable either so that's my last priority and I'll be fine with 6. I'm just very anal about having more than 2 backup drives in my PC.

I need RGB as bright as small class A pulsar only because I know it will give me a boost in games like Fortnite and PubG.

But jokes aside, I'm hoping to spend between $150 and $200 on a board. I really never learned enough about motherboards to shop by performance. I just shop by price. 

Photographer, psychology student, hopeful computer teacher.

i5-6600k and Vega 56 with too many storage drives to count. 

B450tomahawk max would do plenty here.

Otherwise a X570 aurus elite or Tuf gaming if you want the newest chipset with gen 4 pcie (If thats something you want)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

B450tomahawk max would do plenty here.

Otherwise a X570 aurus elite or Tuf gaming if you want the newest chipset with gen 4 pcie (If thats something you want)

Thanks man. I actually could care less about gen 4. I bought a 1 TB Sabrent Rocket NVME gen 3 for $100 and I run a Vega 56 and I don't plan on upgrading either of those components for a few years.

2 minutes ago, Thready said:

Thanks man. I actually could care less about gen 4. I bought a 1 TB Sabrent Rocket NVME gen 3 for $100 and I run a Vega 56 and I don't plan on upgrading either of those components for a few years.

In that case Go with the tomahawk max. Good quality board and good fit here

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

In that case Go with the tomahawk max. Good quality board and good fit here

Will do. I'm watching this so I can catch up to the rest of you with my motherboard knowledge.

You need a Xy70 variant. The 70 series allows for more storage peripherals over PCIe or PCH. I believe the 500 series boards supports the most m.2 and SATA bandwidth. However, the x470 series boards are also excellent in this regard.

Top choice: X570 variant

2nd choice: X470 variant

Within your price range? Would have to run a comparison of all the many boards. At $200, the two boards that come to mind without running another comparison are the ASUS X570 TUF and ASUS X470 Strix-F.