Stop drone spying

iKingRPG
Go to solution Solved by iKingRPG,
21 hours ago, Andrew 1337 said:

Found the video if you are interested.

Just want to add guys I don't want to do anything like destroy it, jam signals, etc or anything along those lines. That video was pretty funny, I'll probably check if the drone is a flying ftp server also if it comes back.

So my family and I were outside, when we hear "zzzzzzzz" we look up to find a drone, looks like one of those cheap toy drones with a little red light. But it seemed to notice us, as when we looked at it, it flew away. Kind of creepy.

And I don't know what frequency these things run on, I was planning on making the air "noisy" to interfere with it for the next time it comes.

I know some drones uses WiFi, so 2.4ghz or 5ghz. The problem is I don't want to ruin my or the neighbors WiFi speed. I thought maybe I could use a antenna that shoots up, but that will probably still interfere with our wifi.

I dont know what to do! I'm trying to see if I could use some type of antenna next time I see it so I can try to find what frequency it uses, but for now I don't know what to do. My binoculars probably won't do any good, as it is a small drone with a red light that basically makes it hard to see it.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Edit: I also just learned some drones use 900mhz, so I will record with my rtl sdr and see if I see a spike.

If I recall; I saw a video online where allot of these cheep drones run Linux with default or no passwords. So you could try logging into it and you can run "rm -rf"; nukeing its OS and knocking it from the sky. (I don't condone or support any of these actions.)

Or a better option would be to call local law enforcement, and use bylaws to your advantage.

10 minutes ago, iKingRPG said:

I know some drones uses WiFi, so 2.4ghz or 5ghz. The problem is I don't want to ruin my or the neighbors WiFi speed. I thought maybe I could use a antenna that shoots up, but that will probably still interfere with our wifi.

You could use a directional antenna. The whole point with directional antennas is that they transmit pretty specifically only in the direction the antenna points in, ie. in your case towards the sky.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

I mean, there are always shotguns.

That's no fun

1 hour ago, Genwyn said:

It would be very illegal for you to jam any kind of commercial or public signals. That includes the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands for wifi.

FCC would be knocking on doors pretty quick 

Get a counter drone and knock it down.

Ok, good point. I won't do that. Maybe I'll just find a way to hack it

1 hour ago, Andrew 1337 said:

If I recall; I saw a video online where allot of these cheep drones run Linux with default or no passwords. So you could try logging into it and you can run "rm -rf"; nukeing its OS and knocking it from the sky. (I don't condone or support any of these actions.)

Nice try

50 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

And get arrested for destroying someone's property.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

9 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Exactly

The simplest way of taking down an offending drone without breaking a huge number of laws (e.g. interfering with radio-transmissions, including WiFi, or using firearms in non-designated areas) would be to...buy a drone and weaponize it. Weaponize it, you ask? Well, I'm not talking about firearms or such here: all you need is to attach a squirt-gun or similar and go spray some sticky substance, like e.g. glue, on the offending drone and its rotors will rather quickly grind to a halt.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, Andrew 1337 said:

I'm pretty sure I've done this in Batman: Arkham Knight.

(but OP can't do it, it was a late game upgrade)

But to get real: contacting the authorities is the best decision. At this point, the law is on your side. Trying to tamper with the drone is likely to change that.

27 minutes ago, Andrew 1337 said:

Found the video if you are interested.

Thank is it's pretty interesting

1 hour ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Actually, you can get nailed for more than that. It's a felony violation of FAA regulations to shoot down or otherwise bring down aircraft of any kind (drones are considered to be aircraft), even if it's violating your airspace and/or privacy. It's also illegal to discharge a firearm in most urban areas. Many cities, counties, and States have laws against shooting a firearm into the air because the bullet can come back down on someone and kill them (in AZ, we have Shannon's Law for that very reason; the law is named after a young girl named Shannon who was killed by a falling bullet one year on New Year's Eve). You could also get charged with reckless endangerment even if the drone crashed harmlessly.

Trying to jam the drone will get the FCC on your backside.

The best thing to do if it keeps happening is to contact the local police and the FAA.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Laser pointer in the camera would do it. 

3 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

You're no fun.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

I'd actually like to see a peeping tom try to sue for someone destroying a trespassing drone.  At least then you can meet up with them in the parking lot of the court house and actually deal with the matter the right way.

I know the majority of people on these forums are young but the immaturity of most of these responses is appalling. Really, people children, promoting physical violence and other illegal acts?

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

This sounds like a one time only story? Could just be pure curiousity from someone using a drone for the first time and just "oh shit"-ing out of there.

If its repetitive just put a sign on the ground "stop that ill call the cops" they'll probably be gone lol.

13 hours ago, aisle9 said:

not always

2 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

Someone keeps flying a kite near our house. 

15 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

17 hours ago, iKingRPG said:

was planning on making the air "noisy" to interfere with it for the next time it comes.

You do that and the Feds will kick down your door. The FCC has ways of finding people causing interference on the air waves. Case in point, A guy down in Florida was found with a cellular jammer in his car. They tracked him by watching the cell sites go down as he drove by. A guy in New York had the feds show up because one of his Crypto currency miners was broadcasting a signal interfering with the T Mobile network. While 2.4 Ghz is free to use, there are rules that govern its usage. Interfering with or any wireless signal is against the law. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just make sure whatever they're seeing is unsavory and they probably won't come back again. "oh no that's the house with the fat guy that has that gross hairy back, eewww"