Advice on upgrades for value

Ghostchanter

I'm looking to upgrade my rig a bit after coming into a bit of cash, however 10 years ago I used to be up to date with every bit of tech before it came out...but these days I really am a bit lost I'll not lie, so any advice for getting the best bang for my buck would be super appreciated.

My current rig:

CPU: i7-5820K

GPU: GTX 780-Ti

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2800 C16 4x4GB

Mob: MSI X99S SLI PLUS (MS-7885)

I run 2 monitors, currently in 1080p

I also have various SSDs and hybrid HD's

Budget: £500-£600 (with possibly a bit of wiggle room of £50 or so if something really warranted the extra pull out)

If the rig really is a lost cause (which I am pretty sure it is far from) I could consider putting a deposit down on a new rig entirely

I personally am pretty sure the gfx card is the thing holding me back for game performance, which is what I use my pc for 99% of the time. The 780ti has been an absolute baws of a card, and to be honest still rocks games coming out now but I really want to crank the graphics back up to full - especially looking forward to cyberpunk 2077, which I fully intend of actually living in if its as good as the witcher was :D

I have considered a new monitor, but to me I am personally happy at 1080p and which 1440p would probably be great but I think the rig is getting old and there is more value to actually upgrading the computer itself.

Small plans for cheap upgrades I have considered is more RAM (as minecraft and chrome seem to eat it like it is going out of fashion, but I believe 16 is still a solid number for gaming if I am not mistaken) and a M2 card to use as a new boot drive as they seem quite cheap and my current SSD is a bit slow compared to some of the newer ones.

I've waffled on for a bit now, so I'll leave it to the good people of the forum to have a heart and help a fellow nerd out. There's just so many cards, super versions, ti, rtx....I would just love some advice based specifically on my needs :)

Thanks in advance

That CPU is solid still, so the best graphics card you can get for your money is the best move. For your £600 budget, that's a 2080. 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/QsBTwP/msi-geforce-rtx-2080-8gb-duke-video-card-rtx-2080-duke-8g-oc

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Yeah I was looking at that, well a 2070 to be exact, I just wasn't really sure if its overkill for 1080p. I've read good things about the 1660 range but just feel a bit worried they are good but not very "future proof". Ty very much for a fast reply though :)

2 minutes ago, Ghostchanter said:

worried they are good but not very "future proof"

well, since you can't see the future, it is best to plan for the present.

2 minutes ago, Ghostchanter said:

I was looking at that, well a 2070 to be exact, I just wasn't really sure if its overkill for 1080p.

it is overkill, but you did mention 1440p and you could also aim for 144 fps. Also, Cyberpunk 2077 has really demanding system requirements, a beefy graphics card is recommended.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Ghostchanter said:

Yeah I was looking at that, well a 2070 to be exact, I just wasn't really sure if its overkill for 1080p. I've read good things about the 1660 range but just feel a bit worried they are good but not very "future proof". Ty very much for a fast reply though :)

The 2070 Super would be a great option for you. They're great for 1080p and can even kill it with 1440p with pretty much 2080 performance for cheaper.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |