Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mutazoid

Is it worth taking someone's old PSU and case?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Someone offered me an old PSU and full sized case.  I think the computer inside was a core 2 duo to give you an idea of the era of PC.

Ive never built a computer and its be ages since I upgraded a system.  Are the cables from an old PSU still compatible with current systems?  What about the case Im pretty sure full ATX has been around forever are current motherboards compatible? etc thank for any discussion....

The PSU will be "compatible", but if it's a PSU from the C2D era, I would change it.

The case will be fine, but at that time, space behind the motherboard tray for cable management was mostly unheard of.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

VPN server guide

NiceHash Mining Guide

Ethereum Mining Guide

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 1x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

4 minutes ago, mutazoid said:

Are the cables from an old PSU still compatible with current systems?  What about the case Im pretty sure full ATX has been around forever are current motherboards compatible?

Yeah it would all work with modern, non OEM hardware. However given the age

5 minutes ago, mutazoid said:

I think the computer inside was a core 2 duo to give you an idea of the era of PC.

It's not practical to use with any hardware you plan on using long term.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions

Is it an ATX case and power supply? Lots of prebuilt systems don't use the ATX form factor. Some cases might be compatible with BTX motherboards, or only MicroATX motherboards.
Likewise the PSU may be TFX or some other form factor. Might also use proprietary connectors and not be compatible with ATX motherboards.

5 minutes ago, mutazoid said:

I think the computer inside was a core 2 duo to give you an idea of the era of PC.

Assuming it's an ATX case, then a case is a case. Probably won't look flashy compared to new cases with tempered glass and RGB, but if you just need something to put your parts in it will probably be fine as long as everything fits and airflow isn't restricted too much.
The old PSU is probably not worth keeping though. Don't trust modern parts to a 15 year old PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450