Is it worth taking someone's old PSU and case?

mutazoid

Someone offered me an old PSU and full sized case.  I think the computer inside was a core 2 duo to give you an idea of the era of PC.

Ive never built a computer and its be ages since I upgraded a system.  Are the cables from an old PSU still compatible with current systems?  What about the case Im pretty sure full ATX has been around forever are current motherboards compatible? etc thank for any discussion....

The PSU will be "compatible", but if it's a PSU from the C2D era, I would change it.

The case will be fine, but at that time, space behind the motherboard tray for cable management was mostly unheard of.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 minutes ago, mutazoid said:

Are the cables from an old PSU still compatible with current systems?  What about the case Im pretty sure full ATX has been around forever are current motherboards compatible?

Yeah it would all work with modern, non OEM hardware. However given the age

5 minutes ago, mutazoid said:

I think the computer inside was a core 2 duo to give you an idea of the era of PC.

It's not practical to use with any hardware you plan on using long term.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Is it an ATX case and power supply? Lots of prebuilt systems don't use the ATX form factor. Some cases might be compatible with BTX motherboards, or only MicroATX motherboards.
Likewise the PSU may be TFX or some other form factor. Might also use proprietary connectors and not be compatible with ATX motherboards.

5 minutes ago, mutazoid said:

I think the computer inside was a core 2 duo to give you an idea of the era of PC.

Assuming it's an ATX case, then a case is a case. Probably won't look flashy compared to new cases with tempered glass and RGB, but if you just need something to put your parts in it will probably be fine as long as everything fits and airflow isn't restricted too much.
The old PSU is probably not worth keeping though. Don't trust modern parts to a 15 year old PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450