Corsair Voyager GT 32GB Low speeds

Darkbound

So I just acquired a Corsair Voyager GT 32GB and I did a CrystalDiskMark run, on two different computers, in different usb ports (usb 3 of course), and the write speeds are terrible, read speed also doesnt reach the advertised one.

Here is the benchmark: http://prntscr.com/p8jt25

What concerns me is the 4k speeds, 0.004 mb/s ?! Is that a glitch between crystal disk mark and that particular flash drive, how can I test if this is really the case? 

I tested with a Transcend JetFlash 32GB and it has about 1 mb/s on 4k write speeds

Looks about right, most manufacturers base their numbers on sequential.

Corsair support would probably parrot there generic OS overhead sucking away your speed nonsense. (For sequential write)

4 minutes ago, Andrew 1337 said:

Looks about right, most manufacturers base their numbers on sequential.

Corsair support would probably parrot there generic OS overhead sucking away your speed nonsense. (For sequential write)

I am not that concerned about the Seq speeds, I am concerned about the 4k write speeds

Just now, Darkbound said:

I am not that concerned about the Seq speeds, I am concerned about the 4k write speeds

Would you describe the drive as being excessively warm? Because with 4k speeds like that it's probably defective or overheating.

6 minutes ago, Andrew 1337 said:

Would you describe the drive as being excessively warm? Because with 4k speeds like that it's probably defective or overheating.

I just tried doing the 4k test without doing the Seq test first, same results, I immediately took out the drive to see if it feels warm, but it has a silicon wrap around it so its hard to get its actual temperature, but the usb head that I plug into the PC did seem a bit hot, but not excessively warm, it felt warm to the touch, but nicely warm, so i would say that it was maybe around 35-40 degrees, at that point of the drive

1 minute ago, Darkbound said:

I just tried doing the 4k test without doing the Seq test first, same results, I immediately took out the drive to see if it feels warm, but it has a silicon wrap around it so its hard to get its actual temperature, but the usb head that I plug into the PC did seem a bit hot, but not excessively warm, it felt warm to the touch, but nicely warm, so i would say that it was maybe around 35-40 degrees, at that point of the drive

How dose the test fare with a smaller test size like...

5 Times @ 500MiB vs 9 Times @ 500MiB

OR

5 Times @ 50MiB vs 9 Times @ 50MiB

11 minutes ago, Andrew 1337 said:

How dose the test fare with a smaller test size like...

5 Times @ 500MiB vs 9 Times @ 500MiB

OR

5 Times @ 50MiB vs 9 Times @ 50MiB

500 MiB, same story 0.006 MB/s

50 MiB it went up to 1.537 MB/s

But the transcend had the ~1MB/s without changing the test size

Does that mean that the drive is ok? And does that mean that the Transcend one performs better? 

8 minutes ago, Darkbound said:

500 MiB, same story 0.006 MB/s

50 MiB it went up to 1.537 MB/s

But the transcend had the ~1MB/s without changing the test size

Does that mean that the drive is ok? And does that mean that the Transcend one performs better? 

Transcend one is way better; from what I can tell this drive (Corsair) is overheating until it is terrible, or it is just terrible.

1.537MB/s @ 50MiB size is horrifying. I have a USB 2.0 Sandisk cruiser with better performance than that.

Just now, Andrew 1337 said:

Transcend one is way better, from what I can tell this drive is overheating until it is terrible, or it is just terrible.

1.537MB/s @ 50MiB size is horrifying. I have a USB 2.0 Sandisk cruiser with better performance than that.

I just tried with actual files to see how it would perform, I am copying Cinebench to it which has over 2000 files, small ones, it even stops transferring from time to time and goes down to 0 bytes/s

http://prntscr.com/p8lapn

Just now, Darkbound said:

I just tried with actual files to see how it would perform, I am copying Cinebench to it which has over 2000 files, small ones, it even stops transferring from time to time and goes down to 0 bytes/s

http://prntscr.com/p8lapn

If you can RMA or return the Corsair drive I would recommend it.

2 minutes ago, Andrew 1337 said:

If you can RMA or return the Corsair drive I would recommend it.

Well it has 5 years of warranty, so I will definitely try to do that and go for sandisk or transcend