Internal networking router?

GM Rod

So today I had a random thought, and I'm amazed I hadn't thought of this before.
But I'm sure someone else has.

I have a big ass PC case with lots of expansion storage space.
Why can't I just get a PCI network ROUTER card?
As in, instead of having an external router?
The slot would definitely have space for 4 RJ45s ports which is what most routers have anyway, and it'd be cheaper than an external solution...
Would just need to connect antennae and BAYUM. Or not even! Maybe I just wanna use it wired.
Does such a thing exist?
I looked a little bit, and this is the closest thing I've found:
ASUS PCI ROUTER

But, it's only a wireless router.

Anyone?

I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

You can make a router in almost any os. Just make the routes you want, and set the ips you want on your interfaces. Or if you want a nice gui, use something like pfsense or untangle. You can almost make this in a vm. A router is just a linux pc normally, so you can run it on a normal desktop if you want.

That link is for a wifi access card, not a router. Do you need an access point or a router?

23 minutes ago, GM Rod said:

Why can't I just get a PCI network ROUTER card?
As in, instead of having an external router?
The slot would definitely have space for 4 RJ45s ports which is what most routers have anyway, and it'd be cheaper than an external solution...

A router is a multi function network device. It does NAT, DHCP, generally has a 4 port switch built in, has a wireless access point built in and other things. Technically speaking you can build your own router with PC hardware, using some like PFsense as the OS. They do make 4 port network cards. Basically routers themselves are tooo complex to be put on one card. The card you linked is just a PCI express WiFi card. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

A router is a multi function network device. It does NAT, DHCP, generally has a 4 port switch built in, has a wireless access point built in and other things. Technically speaking you can build your own router with PC hardware, using some like PFsense as the OS. They do make 4 port network cards. Basically routers themselves are tooo complex to be put on one card. The card you linked is just a PCI express WiFi card. 

it's not so much that they're complex (really, most home routers literally are two or 3 chipsets with some passives around them and a power supply), its just that there really is no market for a router built into a desktop computer. 

on that topic.. @GM Rod besides the question "why dont they exist", maybe we should ask the question "is there any reason they should exist?"

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

it's not so much that they're complex (really, most home routers literally are two or 3 chipsets with some passives around them and a power supply), its just that there really is no market for a router built into a desktop computer. 

on that topic.. @GM Rod besides the question "why dont they exist", maybe we should ask the question "is there any reason they should exist?"

I'll give you a reason:

It would be great to have a router inside my PC so that I have one less cable to run between the PC and something else, and one less thing to have around, to gather dust and clean. Also, if it made use of my machine's resources I'd be able to pay a LOT less for something that does what I need it to do, and it'd also be part of the PC so if I take the PC anywhere... wouldn't it be nice for it to have its own router?

Now, I have a big case, but imagine this happening in a Mini-ITX build (I know they only have one PCI slot but bear with me), that was tiny and had a carry handle. How cool and nice would it be to have a PC+router in a box?

When on trips, I used to connect to the hotel's hardwired ethernet and share it via my Macbook's WiFi. It was grand. Instant wireless LAN for the gang.
I just want to be able to do the same thing, but wired. Not so far fetched, is it?

I know the link I posted is just a WiFi adapter card. But it IS the closest thing to what I was looking for.

So it doesn't exist then... Shame.

34 minutes ago, GM Rod said:

have one less cable to run between the PC and something else

You still have to have your modem connected to it. Then if you like me you have a desktop, Plex server, NAS and HD homerun all connected to the router. Instead of just having one Ethernet cable you might have 4 or 5 having to be connected. So you get even more cable clutter. 

20 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You still have to have your modem connected to it. Then if you like me you have a desktop, Plex server, NAS and HD homerun all connected to the router. Instead of just having one Ethernet cable you might have 4 or 5 having to be connected. So you get even more cable clutter. 

But you have to connect those anyway, to the router... Meh

2 minutes ago, GM Rod said:

But you have to connect those anyway, to the router... Meh

Thats exactly what I just said. So if the router was built in to your computer, your not saving any cabling mess. 

16 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Thats exactly what I just said. So if the router was built in to your computer, your not saving any cabling mess. 

Well maybe one or two, if it presented as a NIC to the PC itself and was powered from the PCIe bus. ;)

But then there is a whole bunch of issues around avoiding disrupting when your PC power state changes.  Why would you go to all that hassle when an external router can just be located centrally to the network and not risk getting disrupted by turning your PC on and off.

Also, the WORST place for WiFi antennas are a PC case so optimally you'd still need an external Access Point, negating the reduced cable clutter.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7