Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agent Starch

Intel i5-6500

Posted · Original PosterOP

So... I have been running my main computer on a Intel Core i5-6500.

Since I got it, the CPU has performed well as it was new despite the fact it was released in Q3 of 2015.

However, recently, my PC has been running super slow to do anything. It takes a long time to boot and a long time to actually finish booting. 

Yes, I am only running a SSHD which isn't very fast but my computer has got slower over time. I am wondering if it is due to the CPU.

Is the i5-6500 too old now and if so, should I invest in a 7th generation processor?

Or is it most likely my slow storage?

For the same tasks the CPU wouldn't be slowing down, it would only be relatively slow in more demanding tasks. Slowing down over time sounds like a clogged up storage device.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

14 minutes ago, Agent Starch said:

So... I have been running my main computer on a Intel Core i5-6500.

Since I got it, the CPU has performed well as it was new despite the fact it was released in Q3 of 2015.

However, recently, my PC has been running super slow to do anything. It takes a long time to boot and a long time to actually finish booting. 

Yes, I am only running a SSHD which isn't very fast but my computer has got slower over time. I am wondering if it is due to the CPU.

Is the i5-6500 too old now and if so, should I invest in a 7th generation processor?

Or is it most likely my slow storage?

Probably your storage, maybe a lack of RAM if you're running W10 on 4GB. The 6500 is still a viable gaming CPU, more than enough for basic tasks.

Sincerely,

me

14 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Given that you said it's happened over time, it just sounds like your average W10 HDD install.

Right? I thought that was a common problem with running an HDD as your main drive. Do you think that's the issue?

Always remember the 80/80 rule of project management. That is, the first 80% of the project takes 80% of the time, and the last 20% of the project takes the other 80% of the time.

1. Run windows update

2. update your graphics card driver (if you have one)

3. Run a virus and spyware scan

4. If the above does not seem to help, clean out the pc of dust and such with cloths and compressed air. and clean and replace the thermal paste on the cpu (tip: better to have too much than too little). 

5. If the above does not help much it might be time to change your boot drive to an SSD and use the hard drive for extra storage. Also you might want to get a bit more RAM in there.   

3 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Right? I thought that was a common problem with running an HDD as your main drive. Do you think that's the issue?

I'd feel pretty safe in saying that it is. I have yet to encounter an install of Windows that's XP or newer that doesn't noticeably slow down at some point.