Resolution on second monitor being extra funky despite being set to the correct one

Saturn420
Go to solution Solved by Saturn420,
3 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

Starting off with the primary display thing, that is kind of a fucky thing with Nvidia at least (can't remember how it was with AMD). On my 1050Ti I want to say the ports in order from 1 to 3 go DisplayPort, HDMI, and then DVI. So even though my main monitor is in fact DVI, my TV connected to DP ends up being the primary, so if I ever have to muck around before Windows starts I need to use it, which is rather annoying.

Anyways, first stop would be playing around with your TV and checking for anything relating to overscan, PC mode, or game mode. Had a similar-ish issue on my dad's living room TV (an older RCA fwiw) and changing that HDMI ports' name it to game mode fixed the issue.

Another thing that could help (even though it's not ideal) is messing with overscan in the Nvidia Control Panel. I believe this is the right area to do this kind of adjustment in, but I'm not able to check for myself since I don't have this issue obviously.

Fixed the issue; I was messing about in the nvidia control panel looking for overscan and for some reason i decided to drag around the boxes on the display config bit on the set up multiple displays tab, i clicked apply and my monitors did the usual turn off and on thing they do and when they came back on things were as they should be. weird how i did the same thing in the windows settings and it did nothing.

Anyway thanks for the help :)

I installed a new GPU (gtx 1660) and my second monitor, which is an old LG tv, is not displaying properly.

The resolution of my main monitor is 1920x1080 and the tv is 1680x1050, these are what both monitors are set to in the windows display settings.

Also i cannot seem to change my main monitor to be monitor 1 even though i have clicked the make this my main display box and restarted my pc. That didnt do anything so i unplugged the second monitor restarted my pc, checked the the main monitor was monitor 1, it was, then i plugged in the second monitor and it changed to being monitor 2

Any suggestions?

image.png.ca8c685f93cd334b92de2f35ecd97d8b.pngimage.png.cd338e8653769f523aac6a76638bc277.png

Starting off with the primary display thing, that is kind of a fucky thing with Nvidia at least (can't remember how it was with AMD). On my 1050Ti I want to say the ports in order from 1 to 3 go DisplayPort, HDMI, and then DVI. So even though my main monitor is in fact DVI, my TV connected to DP ends up being the primary, so if I ever have to muck around before Windows starts I need to use it, which is rather annoying.

Anyways, first stop would be playing around with your TV and checking for anything relating to overscan, PC mode, or game mode. Had a similar-ish issue on my dad's living room TV (an older RCA fwiw) and changing that HDMI ports' name it to game mode fixed the issue.

Another thing that could help (even though it's not ideal) is messing with overscan in the Nvidia Control Panel. I believe this is the right area to do this kind of adjustment in, but I'm not able to check for myself since I don't have this issue obviously.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The "monitor numbers" don't indicate which monitor is primary, they are just arbitrary numbers assigned to the monitors so you can identify which one is which. It doesn't matter which monitor is "1", it doesn't affect anything.

TVs don't use 1680×1050 resolution, so that is not the correct resolution for your TV. Use either 1366×768 or 1920×1080. If they aren't available, I assume you are using VGA or some kind of adapter to connect. Use HDMI instead.

3 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

Fixed the issue; I was messing about in the nvidia control panel looking for overscan and for some reason i decided to drag around the boxes on the display config bit on the set up multiple displays tab, i clicked apply and my monitors did the usual turn off and on thing they do and when they came back on things were as they should be. weird how i did the same thing in the windows settings and it did nothing.

Anyway thanks for the help :)