The XCOM 3900X Build

The117thCon

So many years ago my older bro gave me an MSI Nightblad MiB B089 as he upgraded to something else, at the start of this year I decided to upgrade it something competitive and well it died, the mobo and powersupply completely dead and well due to the front panel being proprietry i cut my losses and moved to a different case and that works fine but recently, after A TON of work rewiring, rebuilding and so on, I gave it a whole new lease on life, and inspired by Jayztwocents modding of the pc the other week, I gave her a paint job that says its been to hell and back, thought id shor it off so far as there is still work to do to turn it into my mobile editing rig for my own channel. The pic in black is its original condition, kinda curios what you guys think of once Nightblade, now Big Sky

IMG_20190919_171450.jpg

IMG_20190919_171515.jpg

WP_20190218_22_30_23_Pro.jpg

The mod is great.  I mean who doesn't like a nice clean black case with small accent-work.  The fact that it's a nice compact little half-pint size is cool too. 

Would like to see some quality pics of other angles and the inside as well.

What specs is she running?  How are temps and noise?

currently running an fsp group 700w server power supply, waiting on the i5 4690k to arrive that be her heart, 16GB DDr3 Ram, Cryorig C7, the hard drives are subject to change as they are temporary until i have the cash spare to get the ones i want, alongside my own gtx 1080 until i can get her a dedicated graphics card, specs could be better but she does well enough and the parts are relatively cheap, alongside parts I already had but she runs well enough, guess it kinda fits having mismatched once great parts being a war veteran as the basis for her mod.

noise why bit of a pig due to the psu, but temps are acceptable enough 50s-70s depending on what youre doing

• 6 months later...

Bit of an update on how things are i have now mover to an externally mounted AIO and it is now also running a GTX 480 permanently at hime but if i go out she gets loaded up with a GTX 1080, what y'all think?

IMG_20200213_231331.jpg

IMG_20200321_125517.jpg

IMG_20200321_130207.png

IMG_20200321_140903.jpg

Thanks NGL super proud of that and honestly would you believe it if i said that has been the easiest part so far? XD

So whats next?

Well first off it is getting a new motherboard, CPU and ram, going to be going to an ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 motherboard for PCIe gen 4 and native thunderbolt 3 support, to go on that will be a 3200G I have laying around whilst im saving the money for the chip that will actually sit on it, a 3900X for that pretty damned dank multithreaded performance in productivity workloads up to 24 threads from a current 4, also will be sitting with a 32GB kit of corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3200MHz Low profile ram.

It will also be sitting with a revamped storage situation, with either a 500GB or 1TB (not super sold on which yet) Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0 drive, i have one in my main system and I havent looked back, with likely a samsung 860 EVO 1 TB acting as a scratch disk for video editing and finally a WD red 4TB hdd for mass storage.

Last but not least when I finally go through another graphics upgrade on my main rig, my MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G will be finding permanent residence in this, making it an absolute production powerhouse with a very nice capability to game and finally upgrade at will!

All in a mere 10.9L (Including the external rad!)

I will say though I am glad that almost all of the work on the chassis to get it ready is finally over and now the fun part can begin!

Also I have a problem I swear, my main rig is nothing but Noctua iPPC and I just ordered a Chromax NF-12 to go on this AIO, I really need to stop buying Noctua fans god damnit XD

• 2 weeks later...

So small update I bought a Noctua chromax NF-F12 and bits so give it a bit more jazz, really need to satop spending money on Noctua but hey it looks great with the changes!

IMG_20200331_143545.jpg

IMG_20200331_143604.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So a small status update I have actually put in my old 4790K into this rig now, this is kinda huge as originally it was assumed the chip was dying in its new configuration with some of the higher end memory I had for it I believe it may have been either the memory controller or the mobo it was originally on as it seems to run fine now in this system so gone from;

i5 4690
16GB 1600MHz mixed Ram

to

i7 4790K
16GB 1600MHz (cant enable XMP on this mobo) Kingston Hyper X Savage rated for up to 1866MHz (has been succesfully ran at up to 2133MHz)

On 3/31/2020 at 7:09 AM, The117thCon said:

-snip-

You cooouuldd paint the sides of the rad yellow, but it looks fine.

Great job modding the case!

"hi 911? my grandma is on the floor and shes not responding to anything"
"have you tried turning it off and on again?"

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding, di-di-ding

8 hours ago, 732 said:

You cooouuldd paint the sides of the rad yellow, but it looks fine.

Great job modding the case!

Thanks and I would but I kinda like the amount of yellow on it already looking like a sort of Warning no step here kinda deal but yeah thanks!

• 1 month later...

And finally this build is now permanently housing my GTX 1080 and on top of that is now housing a 12 Core Ryzen 9 3900X all in under 12 Litres!

Back_2.png

Front_2.png

9 hours ago, The117thCon said:

-snip-

You must have put a lot of effort into and it shows. I liked most of it but i think the radiator line pass through could have been much neater? It just looks messy to me. 

Good job anyways!

33 minutes ago, kkpatel87 said:

You must have put a lot of effort into and it shows. I liked most of it but i think the radiator line pass through could have been much neater? It just looks messy to me. 

Good job anyways!

Well its the first time I have used a dremel and over estimated the width of the tubes, but I am happy with it anyway as I had a plan, I tried it and it worked out and because of that I now have a pint sized custom 3900X system and thanks

35 minutes ago, kkpatel87 said:

Good job anyways!

Also the theme was a war torn heavily used piece of kit XCOM, the messiness adds to the haste and need of that in a war zone