Inevitable nationwide ban on vaping

steelo
Message added by Crunchy Dragon

Keep this thread civil or it will be locked.

Keep the Community Standards in mind.

1 minute ago, Yeroh said:

Moreover, alcohol might not affect others in the same way, but drunk people starting fights, getting into accidents and such also does.

Sure, but there are laws prohibiting that whereas there are no laws against second hand smoking.

2 minutes ago, Yeroh said:

if that's your reasoning, you either ban both or neither of them.

Of course, it was kind of an unrelated reasoning.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The thing that killed those teens were shady chinese thc cartridges. Vaping is definatley better than cigarettes, as the second hand smoke isnt nearly as bad as cigarettes (which should not be allowed in public)

Probably just lobbyism from tobbaco companies. Tbh

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Sure, but there are laws prohibiting that whereas there are no laws against second hand smoking.

If we're talking about restricting smoking in public places, I think we're in a good spot already. I don't know how it is elsewhere in the world, but here in Germany smoking isn't allowed in restaurants. When I was in Japan there were designated smoking areas as well (though I think it might be allowed indoors?). Might not be perfect, but even as a non-smoker, I think it's a good compromise.

12 minutes ago, Yeroh said:

If we're talking about restricting smoking in public places, I think we're in a good spot already. I don't know how it is elsewhere in the world, but here in Germany smoking isn't allowed in restaurants.

Oh yeah, that's a good step forward for sure.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

37 minutes ago, -Kriss- said:

Brands like Juul are the tobacco industry.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

50 minutes ago, -Kriss- said:

The thing that killed those teens were shady chinese thc cartridges. Vaping is definatley better than cigarettes, as the second hand smoke isnt nearly as bad as cigarettes (which should not be allowed in public)

To elaborate on what Suika said: Altria, formerly known as Philip Morris, has a 35 percent stake in Juul.  It would be very odd for a tobacco company to pour $12.8 billion into a vaping company while simultaneously trying to undermine it.

As it is, I never quite get the logic of embracing vaping because it's less dangerous than conventional cigarettes.  Hey, this thing is still full of harmful chemicals and shouldn't be used by anyone, but it's fine because it probably won't kill you quite so quickly!

heres the thing..if gov wants to ban something they need to go after and or ban Juul....juul isnt pg/vg vape..its salt nic..also juul DOES NOT have a 0 nic (actually has shown higher nic)..salt nic is more addictive AND they are most definitely targeting younger people.

been almost 10 years and theres been nothing like what we've seen in the last month. THATS BLACK MARKET WEED VAPE hurting people

gov and such have been looking for ANY excuse to go after vape....gov have lost BILLIONS in tax revenue and they want their money..they dont get a rats azz about health. if they did they would ban cigarettes. but they wont do that thats their money ticket

now yes some flavors should not be mixed in vape..but im full support on regulation of it and knowing what your getting in it.

people say its unhealthy....i for one do not see it...i have copd,asthma, and suffer from oxygen deprivation. i switched from cigs to vape oh about 5 years ago....if vape was bad my lungs would be getting worse NOT BETTER

1 hour ago, Yeroh said:

If we're talking about restricting smoking in public places, I think we're in a good spot already. I don't know how it is elsewhere in the world, but here in Germany smoking isn't allowed in restaurants. When I was in Japan there were designated smoking areas as well (though I think it might be allowed indoors?). Might not be perfect, but even as a non-smoker, I think it's a good compromise.

Completely agree and I have enough respect for those non-smokers/vapers around me not to blow a huge cloud of smoke in their faces.

6 minutes ago, circeseye said:

heres the thing..if gov wants to ban something they need to go after and or ban Juul....juul isnt pg/vg vape..its salt nic..also juul DOES NOT have a 0 nic (actually has shown higher nic)..salt nic is more addictive AND they are most definitely targeting younger people.

been almost 10 years and theres been nothing like what we've seen in the last month. THATS BLACK MARKET WEED VAPE hurting people

gov and such have been looking for ANY excuse to go after vape....gov have lost BILLIONS in tax revenue and they want their money..they dont get a rats azz about health. if they did they would ban cigarettes. but they wont do that thats their money ticket

now yes some flavors should not be mixed in vape..but im full support on regulation of it and knowing what your getting in it.

people say its unhealthy....i for one do not see it...i have copd,asthma, and suffer from oxygen deprivation. i switched from cigs to vape oh about 5 years ago....if vape was bad my lungs would be getting worse NOT BETTER

I jog and bicycle and can tell you, I no longer suffer from shortness of breath I endured while I was a cigarette smoker.

I would only support a vape ban if cigarettes were also banned. Problem is we all know the tobacco companies are pedaling this vape ban, because, ya know, cigarettes are better than vapes or something.

Most of the vapes that have been safety hazards largely are bootlegged pods, which is, to say, counterfeit anything that goes in your mouth (and especially your lungs) will probably be a safety hazard.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 hours ago, Andrew 1337 said:

I don't understand why someone would willing inhale flavored and scented e-juice where most of the flavors and scents while not proven carcinogenic are chemically identical to other carcinogens. (Yes I know not all are like this but you think anyone actually pays attention to what they are inhaling? or the quality?)

Is it safer?

Yes.

Should it be banned?

Juice with nicotine should be banned, it’s not helping anyone quit its just perpetuating an addiction. There are other more effective ways to quit that in the end will be permanent.

My solution?

Tax nicotine vape juice. No reason for the government not to make money off this and put it to use.

Why isn't the government passing legislation to ban cigarettes then? 7 vaping deaths this year versus over 400,00 due to cigarettes.

I'll take my chances.

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

I'd say it's worse than cigarettes as far as health issues. At least lung cancer doesn't usually show up within 10 years of smoking.

Extensive studies performed in Europe by actual doctors would disagree. 

6 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

So when I walk past someone smoking, inhaling the smoke in the process of breathing, why should I get the lung cancer?

Or should I hold my breath when passing everyone on the street to avoid death.

Seriously, if you're that paranoid about inhaling toxins may I suggest you never step foot in any city. You do realize that your average passenger car probably emits 10 times more pollutants than the smoker who just blew a cloud in your face. For the record though, I am very cautious when in public where I exhale.

Here's my take on this whole thing:

The people getting sick were using some shitty Chinese stuff that their fav YouTuber was likely sponsored by. If people stick to the normal, everyday, nonChinese shit, like any-other brand you can buy in a vape shop, they don't get sick and are fine. I see Vaping as an important step to quitting smoking. Our government is too quick to act here, and should take the time figure out why out of the billions of people that vape, only a few are sick. Hell those people could have easily done too much at once, just like you can do with anything. Like cigars for example, my best friend and I bought the biggest, fattest, cigars we could and smoked the whole things in a few hours. Needless to say we got tobacco poisoning.

37 minutes ago, steelo said:

Seriously, if you're that paranoid about inhaling toxins may I suggest you never step foot in any city. You do realize that your average passenger car probably emits 10 times more pollutants than the smoker who just blew a cloud in your face. For the record though, I am very cautious when in public where I exhale.

The thing is, cars are a "necessary evil". People need to be able move around quickly, people don't need to vape.

With that being said, I think banning vaping is BS. I could potentially understand banning vaping and smoking in public spaces only, because "secondhand" smoke and vape are proven to be unhealthy. But even then, I think you should be allowed to do whatever you want in private/at home.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

51 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I would only support a vape ban if cigarettes were also banned. Problem is we all know the tobacco companies are pedaling this vape ban, because, ya know, cigarettes are better than vapes or something.

Most of the vapes that have been safety hazards largely are bootlegged pods, which is, to say, counterfeit anything that goes in your mouth (and especially your lungs) will probably be a safety hazard.

Altria (Philip Morris) has a $12.8 billion, 35 percent stake in Juul.

3 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

i need correcting: is the current state of business/science that tobacco vapes are as safe as regular sticks, and some specific flavoured vape cartridges are known to have a higher risk of related cancers than usual smoking? o_o

EDIT: serious question by the way ,_, I'm completely out of the loop regarding what's what

The current state regarding vapes is that, when buying legitimate products, it's far safer than smoking.

In regards to cancer, as of this point, there's little evidence showing that vaping using legitimate, off the shelf products is harmful. You'll find the vast majority of harm caused by vaping is down to unregulated mods (usually lack safety features that prevent shorting and over discharging of batteries which leads to catastrophic failure), bootleg liquids (bootleg THC pods being the most recent occurrence) and poor battery care (I.E people keeping bare batteries in their pockets with other metal objects like keys, causing the batteries to short again, causing a catastrophic failure)

There have been cases of some off the shelf liquids causing a condition known as popcorn lung, this was down to the use of diacetyl in some liquids. These days, manufacturers do not use diacetyl.

As far as cancer risk goes though, it simply hasn't been long enough to tell. Vaping has been around for a while but not truly long enough to fully understand what, if any long term effects it has on your health. Current research claims that vaping is about 95% safer and nicotine itself is known to be a relatively harmless substance, no more harmful than caffeine. 

11 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The thing is, cars are a "necessary evil". People need to be able move around quickly, people don't need to vape.

With that being said, I think banning vaping is BS. I could potentially understand banning vaping and smoking in public spaces only, because "secondhand" smoke and vape are proven to be unhealthy. But even then, I think you should be allowed to do whatever you want in private/at home.

actually 2nd hand vape has not been proven unhealthy......they have tested air quality in full vape fogged room and that air had exactly the same as outside air (was very interesting articles on it) they performed them both in usa and europe

vape clouds are more of a nuisance because theres more plume and can hang longer so people get the ewww vibe

57 minutes ago, steelo said:

The real issue is unlike cars, coal burning, fast food ect, does vaping or smoking satisfy any of your immediate essential needs other than make you high? At least breathing in polluted smog satisfy your need for oxygen. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 minutes ago, circeseye said:

actually 2nd hand vape has not been proven unhealthy......they have tested air quality in full vape fogged room and that air had exactly the same as outside air (was very interesting articles on it) they performed them both in usa and europe

vape clouds are more of a nuisance because theres more plume and can hang longer so people get the ewww vibe

I'd say it's not as harmful as second hand smoke, but still not good for you. AFAIK some studies show that vape fumes contain carcinogens. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Various reasons such as:

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF)

Import laws - cant import Tobacco without specialized permits that go through the US Dept. Treasury.  E-juice is under no such trade law.  Since they don't have enough control over YOU buying it yourself and selling or using (we have a table set up at each gun show selling Vape Juices and Vape cigs we buy in mass quantity from China for pennies on the dollar.  PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR.) they need to ban it, because it hurts the bottom line of their friends in Government.

After they ban it, they will then form a coalition on how to make sure they are involved on its cuts of sales and revenue.  Once that's established it will be lawful...if you follow their rules.  See also Alcohol.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

3 hours ago, wasab said:

Does fast food caused physical withdrawal symptoms? Silly comparison. 

LOL. Absolutely one can become addicted to junk food. That is a perfectly valid comparison.

5 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Various reasons such as:

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF)

Import laws - cant import Tobacco without specialized permits that go through the US Dept. Treasury.  E-juice is under no such trade law.  Since they don't have enough control over YOU buying it yourself and selling or using (we have a table set up at each gun show selling Vape Juices and Vape cigs we buy in mass quantity from China for pennies on the dollar.  PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR.) they need to ban it, because it hurts the bottom line of their friends in Government.

After they ban it, they will then form a coalition on how to make sure they are involved on its cuts of sales and revenue.  Once that's established it will be lawful...if you follow their rules.  See also Alcohol.

I tend to agree with you...this is all about govt control. Trump will NOT be re-elected if the ban becomes nationwide.