Inevitable nationwide ban on vaping

steelo
Message added by Crunchy Dragon

Keep this thread civil or it will be locked.

Keep the Community Standards in mind.

Hi everyone,

I picked up vaping about 2 years ago after getting tired of smoking a pack a day. I fully understand it is not 100% healthy, but European studies show it is 95% 'cleaner' than cigarettes. This is all well-documented, in fact I've also read that the UK has vape shops set up inside of medical facilities. Maybe somebody can verify this? Anyways, I can honestly say that I feel much better after quitting cigarettes and picking up vaping, especially in the morning and no longer hack up a lung when I wake up.

Recently, Michigan and NY have banned flavored e-cigarettes and a person can serve up to 6 months in prison if they are caught with flavored vapor juice. Politicians say it is to protect the children. I honestly believe there is a lot of shady, underhanded dealings going on resulting in knee-jerk reactions. Juul cigarettes got the ball rolling when they realized that they could not compete with companies offering flavored vaping products. However, this seemed to back-fire on them as their product is now under heavy fire after kids got a hold of tainted e-juice. American cigarette manufacturers have been losing business for years now and still owe the government billions of dollars. They know that if vaping is completely banned, many will simply switch back to cigarettes. I have no doubt this excites our politicans as they know they'll finally get their blood-money.

Does anyone else find what is happening here in the U.S. to be completely insane?

https://tobacco.ucsf.edu/european-public-health-association-releases-comprehensive-date-summary-science-e-cigs

It's excatly because it is assume to be safer that more ppl vape. And it is exactly because more ppl vape, it ought to be banned. 

Let's say 20% of people smoke cigarettes. Then vaping comes along and 10% now smoke cigarettes but 40% Vapes because it is consider safer so less deterrence to both new vaper and old smokers alike. 

What you gonna do? Run an anti vape campaign concurrent to an anti smoking campaign? No, you just ban it and then keep eliminate that smoker percentage and help them quit, not to help them hook on another unhealthy habits. If you want something to quit smoking and less harmful, there is plenty nicotine products that do excatly that. Vaping isn't one of them. It is another consumable products that perpetuate an unhealthy habit. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

15 minutes ago, wasab said:

It's excatly because it is assume to be safer that more ppl vape. And it is exactly because more ppl vape, it ought to be banned. 

And those who assume vaping is safer than cigarettes are 100% correct. This is very well proven and documented in Europe, but also information our media and government doesn't want the general public to hear.

If you want something to quit smoking and less harmful, there is plenty nicotine products that do excatly that. Vaping isn't one of them. It is another consumable products that perpetuate an unhealthy habit. 

Interestingly enough, states like Michigan (where a person can be imprisoned for 6 months for vaping flavored juice) have recently legalized marijuana.

Would you consider that to be a 'healthy' habit to replace vaping?

22 minutes ago, steelo said:

And those who assume vaping is safer than cigarettes are 100% correct. This is very well proven and documented in Europe, but also information our media and government doesn't want the general public to hear.

Did you hear I dispute vaping is safer? I say it matters little cuz it is harmful regardless. 

24 minutes ago, steelo said:

Interestingly enough, states like Michigan (where a person can be imprisoned for 6 months for vaping flavored juice) have recently legalized marijuana.

Marijuana is different. I don't consider it to compete with cigarettes in the same manner that vaping does. People smoke weed regardless if it is illegal or not already. Legalizing it at least allow govt to regulate to some extent. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I don't understand why someone would willing inhale flavored and scented e-juice where most of the flavors and scents while not proven carcinogenic are chemically identical to other carcinogens. (Yes I know not all are like this but you think anyone actually pays attention to what they are inhaling? or the quality?)

Is it safer?

Yes.

Should it be banned?

Juice with nicotine should be banned, it’s not helping anyone quit its just perpetuating an addiction. There are other more effective ways to quit that in the end will be permanent.

My solution?

Tax nicotine vape juice. No reason for the government not to make money off this and put it to use.

"Safer", you often can't even know exactly what's in your vaping liquid and someone was stupid enough to think adding OILs to it was a good idea so now there's people burning their lungs from the inside without knowing.

Sure you could argue that it's safer than cigarettes, but it's no safer than hammering a nail through your hand. You're still destroying your health in the end. Heck considering how recent it came out and now we have such cases coming out... I'd say it's worse than cigarettes as far as health issues. At least lung cancer doesn't usually show up within 10 years of smoking.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Regardless,you look like a total 100% tool when exhaling a cloud of "flavor".

That's scientific fact too.

Btw, did you finish your man cave yet?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

7 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

"Safer", you often can't even know exactly what's in your vaping liquid and someone was stupid enough to think adding OILs to it was a good idea so now there's people burning their lungs from the inside without knowing.

Sure you could argue that it's safer than cigarettes, but it's no safer than hammering a nail through your hand. You're still destroying your health in the end. Heck considering how recent it came out and now we have such cases coming out... I'd say it's worse than cigarettes as far as health issues. At least lung cancer doesn't usually show up within 10 years of smoking.

What's funny about these people is that they want the best of both worlds. Something that gives them that nicotine rush but have none of the negative health effects. They see vaping as the closest thing to that. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I dont smoke or vape, and think we shouldn't ban any of it. What you decide to put into your body is none of my business and none of the governments business. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I dont smoke or vape, and think we shouldn't ban any of it. What you decide to put into your body is none of my business and none of the governments business. 

It is our bussiness if our children end up being addicted or if we end up paying taxes for your medical bills. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, wasab said:

It is our business if our children end up being addicted or if we end up paying taxes for your medical bills. 

I'm a personal responsibility guy, if you make the choice to put harmful things in your body, YOU should have to deal with the consequences. It's really that simple. 

Freedom is dangerous, so don't be stupid.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 minutes ago, wasab said:

It is our bussiness if our children end up being addicted or if we end up paying taxes for your medical bills. 

So ban cigarettes and alcohol too. Do not cherry pick just the stuff you personally are against if you truly mean what you just wrote.

Just now, Ergroilnin said:

So ban cigarettes and alcohol too. Do not cherry pick just the stuff you personally are against if you truly mean what you just wrote.

We should. Never said we shouldn't. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I'm a personal responsibility guy, if you make the choice to put harmful things in your body, YOU should have to deal with the consequences. It's really that simple. 

Not if it affects me personally. I'm not gonna sit around to see my family become addicted and get cancer. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 minutes ago, wasab said:

We should. Never said we shouldn't. 

So where exactly do you draw the line then? Because we should then probably ban fast food, sodas and all other unhealthy food with the rise of child and overall obesity. And this can keep going until you do not have freedom and the country turns in totalitarian one.

1 minute ago, wasab said:

Not if it affects me personally. I'm not gonna sit around to see my family become addicted and get cancer. 

If they make the choice to put those things in their body, they should deal with the consequences of that choice. It's really that simple. If you dont want your family to get addicted, consider convincing them to make the decision to not use those products. 

Just now, Ergroilnin said:

So where exactly do you draw the line then? Because we should the probably ban fast food, sodas and all other unhealthy food with the rise of child and overall obesity. And this can keep going until you do not have freedom and the country turns in totalitarian one.

Does fast food caused physical withdrawal symptoms? Silly comparison. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

If they make the choice to put those things in their body, they should deal with the consequences of that choice. It's really that simple. If you dont want your family to get addicted, consider convincing them to make the decision to not use those products. 

By your logic, we ought to tell the Mexican cartels to smuggle more drugs or the British to restart selling opiums to the Chinese. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 minutes ago, wasab said:

By your logic, we ought to tell the Mexican cartels to smuggle more drugs or the British to restart selling opiums to the Chinese. 

No, by my logic narcotics should be legal, the cartels would not be needed.

This is the old "Freedom to make life choices vs Freedom from your life choices" argument, eventually you may realize that freedom from your life decisions is not freedom at all. 

2 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

No, by my logic narcotics should be legal, the cartels would not be needed.

This is the old "Freedom to make life choices vs Freedom from your life choices" argument, eventually you may realize that freedom from your life decisions is not freedom at all. 

You CANT have freedom. There is no such thing in a civilized society. What you can have however is liberty and drug is NOT one of them because it ruins so many lives which affects everyone in an entire country. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I think it's nonsensical to ban vaping, particularly in a world where smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol is as normalized as it is. I'm sure there are negative effects to it, but in the end it should be everyone's own decision whether or not they're taking the potential health risk.

Don't you think its kinda weird that the cases of the "vaping related illness" only just started occurring, and ONLY in the US? It has been proven that black market THC cartridges that have vitamin E acetate are what's causing the illness, and the tobacco companies/government are using that to bash vaping, but e juice has NOTHING to do with black market THC cartridges.

https://vaping360.com/vape-news/84181/vitamin-e-acetate-products-investigated-in-thc-oil-deaths/

hi

Didn't they just release a study showing that vaping greatly increases the risk of lung infection? It *might* be healthier than cigarettes (though as more things are discovered that's less and less clear) but don't delude yourself into thinking there are no health consequences.

As for whether they should be banned, I don't think it makes a lot of sense to ban it when "normal" cigarettes are legal and sold by the government...

2 minutes ago, Yeroh said:

I think it's nonsensical to ban vaping, particularly in a world where smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol is as normalized as it is. I'm sure there are negative effects to it, but in the end it should be everyone's own decision whether or not they're taking the potential health risk.

With the not-so-small difference that cigarette smoke and vape vapour don't just affect the person choosing to inhale them. Alcohol, if nothing else, only makes you drunk. Alcohol also has no permanent consequences if used in moderation, unlike cigarettes.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

A ban doesn't make sense.  If they're really concerned about vaping add regulations.  From what I've read those that have died were smoking some counterfeit THC cartridges. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

With the not-so-small difference that cigarette smoke and vape vapour don't just affect the person choosing to inhale them. Alcohol, if nothing else, only makes you drunk. Alcohol also has no permanent consequences if used in moderation, unlike cigarettes.

I absolutely agree, but that hasn't stopped anyone from smoking cigarettes. So if that's your reasoning, you either ban both or neither of them.

Moreover, alcohol might not affect others in the same way, but drunk people starting fights, getting into accidents and such also does.