Unpopular Tech Opinions

I love the modern safety features in cars.

They won't make drivers worse because cell phones took care of that.

They will prevent some accidents and save some lives.

Installing Arch wasn't that bad.

Oh, who am I kidding yes it was.

Spoiler

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

On 9/29/2019 at 3:58 AM, Kisai said:

-snip-

Your points about Apple are valid, but I'd expand ever so slightly on them. True, the Apple ecosystem is great and everything does work seamlessly, hence your comment about a Dell containing the same parts but $200 bucks cheaper; yes the software adds much value to Apple's price and the reason why off the shelf their stuff is actually pretty good. But in the realm of say something like Android, the same can still be true if you stick to brands like Samsung or Google. They design their stuff to work best with their own products, no brainer there, and so a similar experience can be had...at least in the realm of working great together. Windows is a more complicated story and I'll admit that things don't always jive the way that they should, so point taken on that one.

Your comment about dropping two grand on a iPhone and feeling barely justified. Can I ask you to expand on that? I mean I understand the whole Apple ecosystem argument you laid out, but is there more to it? I'm a Google fan and even own one of their phones, but would never pay more than like $500 for something like a phone no matter who makes it. Not saying you're wrong or anything, just genuinely curious as to your reasons so I can broaden my horizon.

Also, I don't consider all mods a form of cheating; that said I only have experience in Skyrim, where the mods I use add dialogue or make the world richer with better textures or add animals and people. I don't consider that cheating the game in any way, just enhancing the vanilla experience slightly :)  

2 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

Your points about Apple are valid, but I'd expand ever so slightly on them. True, the Apple ecosystem is great and everything does work seamlessly, hence your comment about a Dell containing the same parts but $200 bucks cheaper; yes the software adds much value to Apple's price and the reason why off the shelf their stuff is actually pretty good. But in the realm of say something like Android, the same can still be true if you stick to brands like Samsung or Google. They design their stuff to work best with their own products, no brainer there, and so a similar experience can be had...at least in the realm of working great together. Windows is a more complicated story and I'll admit that things don't always jive the way that they should, so point taken on that one.

Your comment about dropping two grand on a iPhone and feeling barely justified. Can I ask you to expand on that? I mean I understand the whole Apple ecosystem argument you laid out, but is there more to it? I'm a Google fan and even own one of their phones, but would never pay more than like $500 for something like a phone no matter who makes it. Not saying you're wrong or anything, just genuinely curious as to your reasons so I can broaden my horizon.

Also, I don't consider all mods a form of cheating; that said I only have experience in Skyrim, where the mods I use add dialogue or make the world richer with better textures or add animals and people. I don't consider that cheating the game in any way, just enhancing the vanilla experience slightly :)  

I use the iPhone a lot at the office, because it keeps my "business" separate from their business. If I have to login to my business accounts through their systems, the SSL content is intercepted by zscaler, and that is a bit unsettling to say the least.  If I had not had the iPhone 6S suddenly die after iOS 12 update I probably would have been content to use the 6S for at least another two years. "Barely justified" in that my options at the time was either buy what was in the store, or start entirely from scratch. I'm sorry, but I have never seen an Android phone that I liked and felt comfortable using, and this is coming from someone who held onto the previous N95 Nokia cell phone for nearly 8 years. That's like hanging onto the original model of the iPhone until the 6S. The people at the office who have company-issued phones all have iPhones. Most staff have personal iPhones as well. The exception (Samsung devices) appears to be from people who already have a Samsung device as their personal phone. I've yet to encounter someone who has one of each. Some people just balk at having two devices so they refuse the work phone, but then have to carry around the separate VPN authenticator for yet another thing to lose in travel.

Like it really sucks in my mind going "I could have bought an entire damn computer for that price" which but I would never have been able to have something portable enough, and I slightly regretted the physically larger model because it does not fit into my Jeans/pants. I previously didn't have the "larger" model, and it fit easily. I actually walk around the office with the phone in my hand because if I stick it in a pocket, it will put pressure on the screen. That's not a problem that Android will solve. The only theoretical problem Android would solve that iPhone would not would be pen-test tools, and that's not my job.

As for modding. My point was about unsanctioned modding with MMO/Multiplayer games. There are people who are completely incapable of playing WoW or FFXIV without modding the hell out of it, and it's discouraging knowing all the rampant cheating continues. Why would I want to play a game with PvP elements if the PvP elements can be cheated with tools? Players, brag about how much they cheat on the official forums, and there is a very simple way to cut all of it off, and we're seeing the beginning of it with services like Stadia being pushed. Stream it all, nothing to hack. Not until AI gets smart enough to play the game for you at least.

On 9/21/2019 at 8:35 PM, greenhorn said:
  • Mobile phones are made to be carried with you (switched on and sufficiently charged), their potential is wasted if used as a landline replacement only.

lol this is what i do. Where I live the family phone is cheaper on mobile than a landline.

On 9/29/2019 at 10:41 AM, Giganthrax said:

I have no problem with DRM and don't get why so many people hate it.

It harms paying customers and doesn't do anything to combat piracy whatsoever.

On 9/29/2019 at 10:41 AM, Giganthrax said:

Normal users who obsess over programs spying on them are ridiculous (or they're pedophiles).

Some people would rather not have everything they do be constantly monitored. It's an invasion of privacy. "If you have nothing to hide you shouldn't worry" is such a b.s. excuse for spying.

PC specs: Intel core i5 4690k__EVGA Geforce GTX 970 ACX Superclocked 4GB Edition__G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB DDR3 1600mhz__Corsair CX 750W PSU__Fractal Design Define R4 Mid Tower Case__Asus Maximus VI Hero LGA 1150 Mobo__Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler__1TB WD Blue HDD__Corsair K70 Red LEDs with Cherry MX Brown Switces__Steelseries Rival Gaming Mouse__Windows 10

i use chrome today, but for a long time i loved Explorer, mostly because it actually worked on most web pages, had all these firefox and google guys telling me, that it was because internet explorer, was bad, that it could show bad coding..

but seriously me as a customer, having my pagers work was better than having the "best browser"

and are looking into scrapping chrome again, but mostly for the INSANE datacollection strategy of google...

35 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

It is OK to refer to Linux as an OS, it saves confusing people who don’t know.

There are people who don't refer to it as an OS? 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 9/29/2019 at 4:41 PM, Giganthrax said:

I have no problem with DRM and don't get why so many people hate it.

I skew the exact opposite way - I consider it a violation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Specifically because DRM software is forced on me, the consumer to prove to the publisher that I have not stolen the game. The fact that I bought the thing should be enough.

Aside from that, an opinion that surely would be unpopular in some circles is that having a variety of difficulty options available cannot ever be a bad thing for a game, as it widens the potential audience for it and boosts sales. Hell, I was all set to buy Sekiro until I heard a reviewer casually mention how much fun he had spending 8 hours trying to beat one boss. I like challenge, but I don't have that kind of time to spend on a game anymore.

In addition: THE EXISTENCE OF AN EASY MODE IN A GAME DOES NOT TAKE AWAY ANYTHING FROM THE EXPERIENCE OF THOSE WHO PLAY IT ON THE HARDEST SETTING.

Third unpopular opinion: The people who are front and center when it comes to yelling about a game being "too political" are the same people who have tied their own identity politics so thoroughly into their gaming experience, that they percieve anything other than "games they like" as a personal attack.

And finally:

NintenDID what Sega didn't! (take that, Bart from elementary school!)

9 hours ago, Kisai said:

I use the iPhone a lot at the office, because it keeps my "business" separate from their business. If I have to login to my business accounts through their systems, the SSL content is intercepted by zscaler, and that is a bit unsettling to say the least.  If I had not had the iPhone 6S suddenly die after iOS 12 update I probably would have been content to use the 6S for at least another two years. "Barely justified" in that my options at the time was either buy what was in the store, or start entirely from scratch. I'm sorry, but I have never seen an Android phone that I liked and felt comfortable using, and this is coming from someone who held onto the previous N95 Nokia cell phone for nearly 8 years. That's like hanging onto the original model of the iPhone until the 6S. The people at the office who have company-issued phones all have iPhones. Most staff have personal iPhones as well. The exception (Samsung devices) appears to be from people who already have a Samsung device as their personal phone. I've yet to encounter someone who has one of each. Some people just balk at having two devices so they refuse the work phone, but then have to carry around the separate VPN authenticator for yet another thing to lose in travel.

Like it really sucks in my mind going "I could have bought an entire damn computer for that price" which but I would never have been able to have something portable enough, and I slightly regretted the physically larger model because it does not fit into my Jeans/pants. I previously didn't have the "larger" model, and it fit easily. I actually walk around the office with the phone in my hand because if I stick it in a pocket, it will put pressure on the screen. That's not a problem that Android will solve. The only theoretical problem Android would solve that iPhone would not would be pen-test tools, and that's not my job.

As for modding. My point was about unsanctioned modding with MMO/Multiplayer games. There are people who are completely incapable of playing WoW or FFXIV without modding the hell out of it, and it's discouraging knowing all the rampant cheating continues. Why would I want to play a game with PvP elements if the PvP elements can be cheated with tools? Players, brag about how much they cheat on the official forums, and there is a very simple way to cut all of it off, and we're seeing the beginning of it with services like Stadia being pushed. Stream it all, nothing to hack. Not until AI gets smart enough to play the game for you at least.

That makes a bit more sense I suppose, though I guess I never thought about it that much when it comes to things like zscaler and VPN authenticators. The comfort aspect I can definitely relate to as it's the main reason I don't use iOS, so kinda funny you say the same thing about Android. I guess to each his own right?

FOSS will create a culture of unpaid programmer labor being the norm

The Hololense, as a device, is actually pretty freaking cool

Using visual scripting languages means you are a programmer

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

2 hours ago, UltimateNoob said:

You don't need oled, unless you're only watching 4k.

Maybe not 'need' but isn't it better on battery life and gives off deeper blacks cuz the pixels can turn off individually? I'd think that'd be useful at any resolution but Idk, just some things I've heard.

I usually play story based games on easy, so that I can appreciate the story more 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Apple calling a motherboard a "logic board" is pretentious and douchey and makes me think less of them. It makes me feel like they're childish at best when talking about it.

59 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Apple calling a motherboard a "logic board" is pretentious and douchey and makes me think less of them. It makes me feel like they're childish at best when talking about it.

Considering on a laptop (particularly on a macbook) the "motherboard" integrates significantly more than a desktop motherboard would it's not wrong to call it "logic board". In the end a motherboard is a a specific type of logic board, I don't think they do this to be pretentious (though they act pretentious in a lot of other ways).

On 10/2/2019 at 5:12 AM, Schnoz said:

Nintendo should have switched the Switch to a 12 nm process to make the battery life even more amazing. Personally, I would happy pay $20 or $30 more for it.

I think the problem there is that it's using a preexisting nvidia SoC so they can't really die shrink it at will.

On 10/2/2019 at 1:37 AM, PocketNerd said:

FOSS will create a culture of unpaid programmer labor being the norm

That hasn't been the case for the last 30 years of the "movement" - FOSS doesn't mean you don't get paid. Red Hat was just bought by IBM for a huge sum despite making exclusively FOSS products.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1. Tesla is overrated. They have a lot to fix to become popular especially in cold weather.

2. Any RGB light on any computer part is waste of money. Single color back light on keyboard is a different thing.

3. Curve edge smartphone screen is horrible and gimmick.

4. Smartphone cemera nowadays is good enough, they should improve other things first now such as headphone jack, battery life, software support.

5. Single player games should not be required to run on server.

6. Phone reviewers on Youtube such as MKBHD, pocketNow are great at first but now just repeating lines fed by the manufactures now. Their review is useless.

7. AMD graphics department is fked for at least another 2-3 years before they can possibly catch up with Nvidia. There's no hope for Navi and/or vega to be successful.

8. Both google and apple are evil. Google is smart about it and Apple is frank about it.

1. Most people who buy Teslas don't buy them because they think they're "saving the turtles" or whatever bullshit of the day it is. They buy them because they're, somehow, a status symbol. Seriously, buying a base Model 3 automatically gives some idiot Instagrammer more clout than something far nicer. People who actually give a fuck about the environment but don't use it as clout buy something that's far more under the radar, like a Chevrolet Bolt.

2. For most scenarios, the 980 Ti is a better used card than the R9 Fury X. I own a Fury X and while the card is hardly slow, it's hardly justifiable, especially with its bizarre lack of VRAM for some newer games at higher resolutions like, well, 2560x1600.

3. I personally believe that higher quality mastering goes a far greater distance than listening to something that's a 24-bit 192kHz audio master. Basically, don't make your music earrape and good ol' CD will take you far. The human ear (and audio equipment) can only go so far before the benefits becomes almost nonexistent.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

44 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Considering on a laptop (particularly on a macbook) the "motherboard" integrates significantly more than a desktop motherboard would it's not wrong to call it "logic board". In the end a motherboard is a a specific type of logic board, I don't think they do this to be pretentious (though they act pretentious in a lot of other ways).

I respectfully disagree. Desktop motherboards integrate about the same as laptop ones.

34 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

1. Most people who buy Teslas don't buy them because they think they're "saving the turtles" or whatever bullshit of the day it is. They buy them because they're, somehow, a status symbol. Seriously, buying a base Model 3 automatically gives some idiot Instagrammer more clout than something far nicer. People who actually give a fuck about the environment but don't use it as clout buy something that's far more under the radar, like a Chevrolet Bolt.

It's Apple all over again.

34 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

3. I personally believe that higher quality mastering goes a far greater distance than listening to something that's a 24-bit 192kHz audio master. Basically, don't make your music earrape and good ol' CD will take you far. The human ear (and audio equipment) can only go so far before the benefits becomes almost nonexistent.

I learned in audio production that the human ear can only "hear" up to 2.5 sounds at one time. So for example, say you have a full band containing keyboard, bass, drums, lead guitar, rhythm guitar, and 4 vocalists. Without thinking, you'll focus on what you hear most (if it's a bad mix) or simply what you want to hear. So you'll hear lead vocal, lead guitar, and a small bit of drums (say kick and snare), for example.

I do live stuff as a side thing and this has lead to some people complaining to the audio engineer "oh I can't hear so-and-so's voice" or "I can't hear the piano". Myself, or whomever is mixing, has to try and explain this to them. It's often times older people, and their hearing isn't as good as it used to be. So sometimes it's a matter of them not being able to pick up a certain part of the frequency spectrum. They don't realize that and think there's something wrong with the mix. This also happens when our vocalists harmonize really well, they blend almost perfectly without much mixing. Sometimes people can't pick out an individual and simply think we need to turn them up. It's frustrating.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

I respectfully disagree. Desktop motherboards integrate about the same as laptop ones.

Do they integrate cpu, memory, gpu and storage? Many don't even have integrated wifi.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Do they integrate cpu, memory, gpu and storage? Many don't even have integrated wifi.

They do have most, if not all of that, yes. The difference being you can upgrade some of that stuff on a desktop motherboard. I feel like that makes it more of a "logic board" because you can actually do more with it.

Some TVs have surpassed even high end monitors; even have better input lag, all the while being cheaper.

BFGDs are a joke.

4 minutes ago, Tao said:

Some TVs have surpassed even high end monitors; even have better input lag, all the while being cheaper.

BFGDs are a joke.

As I posted in your thread, there is one use case that surpasses everything else and makes a very good reason as to why those exist.