Unpopular Tech Opinions

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I think most people don't view SLI as worth it because fewer and fewer games are actually supporting it well enough to make multiple cards worthwhile to run.

Hence, #2:

5 hours ago, straight_stewie said:
  • NVLink SLI is still worth it.
  • SLI setups would be even more worth it if more people believed #1.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

9 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Hence, #2:

I don't personally see how people believing SLI is worthwhile actually makes SLI worthwhile if support for SLI is almost nonexistent in modern games.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I don't personally see how people believing SLI is worthwhile actually makes SLI worthwhile if support for SLI is almost nonexistent in modern games.

Perhaps support for SLI is nearly nonexistent because the demand for SLI support isn't there.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

14 hours ago, MagnumOpus said:

Pixel uses it own flavor of Android with some Pixel specific features. It isn't really stock. The software on Android One phones are the closest to AOSP tbh. It is very bare bones. More so than the Pixel.

I know Pixel isn't truly stock, I just like the way they did things. Never experienced Android One stuff though.

On 9/21/2019 at 5:06 AM, Stylized_Violence said:

@Noctus

I would respectfully disagree. I'm not much for audio quality, it's more a convenience thing. Like, I'm paying several hundred bucks for a phone, it would seem a small feature like that would be standard no matter what. Sometimes I forget my Bluetooth earbuds or they run out of juice. Other times my Bluetooth is acting funny and I gotta turn it off, so I still want the option to use a wired pair. It's the same premise as a condom: I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it :) 

Guy's, i agree with the "need and not having it" philosophy. I'm saying the people who are saying "but 3.5 is the best!!! Bluetooth is shit!!!", which is 90% of the joes out there, can't tell the difference (this is my unpop opinion, not that we don't need the jack). They are used to bluetooth from 15-20 years ago when it was shite and still hold that opinion. Today's bluetooth option's are extremely good in quality if you're willing to spend a little.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

On 9/21/2019 at 2:51 PM, Drak3 said:

No, it wouldn't have. Intel has been delaying mainstream hexacore parts for a few years. No one would buy a new computer if it's marginally faster than their old one, and that is the case with Skylake and Kabylake when one is on Haswell.

Oh yes they would. People have been buying products that are just a little bit faster or better or even worse the same product for as long as buying and selling has existed. It's all in the way you advertise your product and if there's no choice, that's it. It really doesn't matter if the newer one is just the old one with a new name. Just say it's newer, give it a brand new name, try to spin it and consumers will buy no matter what.

People have being doing this for ages. Just look at anything you find in the grocery store. Find a product whatever it is that says on the box new and improved better formula and you will find it's exactly the old one if you read what's inside of it. There was nothing improved. It's all lies. And consumers eat that shit up. They buy and buy and buy. They don't care.

On 9/21/2019 at 6:07 PM, Sauron said:

Except Intel has made it painfully obvious in the past 3 years that they can't deliver anything better. More cores, sure - at a much higher production cost and lower efficiency. AMD has undeniably innovated in ways that will have lasting consequences on the market. Ryzen isn't just a lucky fluke that only worked because Intel kept the prices too high. Just blindly adding cores to a monolithic die isn't sustainable, while AMD's modular design allows for scaling at unprecedented levels.

And why not, exactly? What else would they have needed to do to satisfy your standards other than effectively tripling the performance you'd expect at any given price point in less than 3 years without sacrificing power consumption and features? Are 4 times as many cores on the desktop platform not enough?

Intel hasn't delivered anything in the past 3 years because they haven't tried. For 10 years or so can't recall exactly when they got ahead of AMD, but let's say 10 years for the sake of it, Intel hasn't done anything. They stopped. And make no mistake AMD would have done the same thing if they were in Intel's position where they own the market.

All AMD did with Ryzen is release a second place product that Intel had done years ago. You honestly can't say Ryzen is fantastic product when it's slower than what the competition had years ago.

I want you to imagine an actually race on a circuit between AMD and Intel. Intel got to the finish line and stopped just before it and sat there for years and years. All while AMD was running and running and running and in the end even with Intel stopping, AMD still came in second place. After all this time they still haven't caught up. And it's worse when you fact in that the competition stopped. That is not winning. That is failing. And failing hard.

AMD should have absolutely fucking destroy Intel with Ryzen. They had no excuse to not do so. They had years to do so and their competition did nothing all these years. And they still haven't caught up. It took them 7nm well actually someone else's 7nm to sort of catch up to Intel 14nm+++++++++ infinity.

Give Intel their own 7nm and they would wipe the floor with AMD.

Now again Ryzen is something that we desperately needed. Because Intel would've fucked us with 4 cores for years and years.

It's a good thing Ryzen came out, but let's not kid in believing it's a great product. You can't just look at something and ignore everything else. You have to take everything in consideration.

2 hours ago, TheNamelessOne said:

Intel hasn't delivered anything in the past 3 years because they haven't tried.

Oh, you'd better believe they're trying. What more evidence of that do you want other than the most rushed prosumer lineup we've ever seen and constant product releases to try and reduce the gap as quickly as they can? Even at Intel's peak this pace would have been insane. The 3 years between the q9300 and sandy bridge are regarded as Intel "trying" and yet they "only" got to about 2x performance at any given price point, with a smaller production node and a complete architecture redesign, with the top consumer core count remaining unchanged - now compare the 9900K (or even the 9700K) to the 7700K and see what you get. For chips that are basically identical in terms of production node and architecture the difference is astounding. And it's still not enough to compete with Ryzen.

AMD should have absolutely fucking destroy Intel with Ryzen.

They did.

they still haven't caught up.

Uhm yes they have. Ryzen 3k absolutely destroys anything Intel has at each chip's respective price point. Intel only has a couple of niches that favor them.

It took them 7nm well actually someone else's 7nm to sort of catch up to Intel 14nm+++++++++ infinity.

That's not how this works. You can't just swap in a different manufacturing process and expect it to work. The CPU and the transistors have to be designed specifically to work with each other. If it were that simple Intel would have contracted another fab the moment it became clear that 10nm wasn't ready.

It's a good thing Ryzen came out, but let's not kid in believing it's a great product. You can't just look at something and ignore everything else. You have to take everything in consideration.

It seems to me like you're willfully ignoring plenty of stuff yourself.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 hours ago, TheNamelessOne said:

Oh yes they would

No, they wouldn't. PC sales have slown significantly outside of gaming due to there being no reason to upgrade. Gaming hasn't due to new purchases and upgrades from old systems, both areas where growth can only last for so long.

And Intel's mainstream hexacore was delayed for some time. What would become the 8700K was supposed to come out well before Ryzen. But as we've seen with the 8700K, thermals are not all that good.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

The Rx 570 is not the be all end all of budget cards. 

Touchscreens are a plague upon society and are bundled in to products with no need for a touchscreen

Hunting the thinnest and lightest design in laptops has gimped proper thermal design and performance capability for even non-gaming laptops

Blackberry was the greatest phone and OS despite their abysmal app selection

Apple makes beautiful machines with a streamlined OS and amazing proprietary software, but their terrible design decisions and refusal to allow people to fix their own machines are making it hard to buy anything newer than the 2013/2014 models. Even then, I still buy their products because that proprietary software is just too good

Microsoft Office 2003 is the best version of Microsoft Office

Linux, while a great OS, is not the answer to all of our problems

boot processes belong in msconfig, not task manager

Not every keyboard needs to be mechanical. 

CompTIA can suck a bag of uncircumcised dicks for their test design. It's needlessly frustrating and features open-ended questions and improper simulations designed to make you fail versus testing you on actual knowledge or ability.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

5 hours ago, TheNamelessOne said:

Intel hasn't delivered anything in the past 3 years because they haven't tried. For 10 years or so can't recall exactly when they got ahead of AMD, but let's say 10 years for the sake of it, Intel hasn't done anything. They stopped.

their server side of business and HEDT part of their business kinda disagree a lot with that. 

AMD should have absolutely fucking destroy Intel with Ryzen. They had no excuse to not do so. They had years to do so and their competition did nothing all these years. And they still haven't caught up. It took them 7nm well actually someone else's 7nm to sort of catch up to Intel 14nm+++++++++ infinity.

Give Intel their own 7nm and they would wipe the floor with AMD.

AMD didnt use their own or glofos node. it was Samsung`s node liscensed. 

and i think you are downplaying how amazing intel 14nm ++ (+) actually is. not effiencywise (its actually rather efficient aswell), but performance wise. 

also worth noting that 7nm is not indicative of how the actual node performs. there are multiple 7nm nodes that behave differently.  most analysts put intel 10nm at parity with 7nm high performance. 

AMD should have absolutely fucking destroy Intel with Ryzen.

with the ~3ghz sweetspot 14nm node?

like they sort of hurt Intel with wha

t they put out. with 8 and 6 cores costing nothing for what they offered. 

You can't just look at something and ignore everything else. You have to take everything in consideration.

i mean, sure. if you take into account an alternate reality where intel got 10nm working on track and launched the 8700k a year earlier (and coffeelake was considered rushed). but at that point you should also take into account that AMD was aiming for a 7nm launch window with Zen. but that never happened because noone had 7nm ready. 

in a perfect world, you would have Zen 1 using 7nm vs intel 10nm in 2017/18. that never happened, AMD started to run out of money, and launched on 14nm. meanwhile intel had issues with 10nm and didnt launch 6 cores as they hoped to make a major jump architectural wise and node wise at the same time. 

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

Oh, you'd better believe they're trying.

best example to look at intel Trying their hardest is their serverplattform. where they sell stupidly low yield CPUs for the sake of increasing performance. 8180 is said to have 35% yields? then you have salvage offcourse, but thats one expencive massive chip. there was also doubleringbuss 10 core wasnt there?

so while for consumers it has been a bit slow, elsewhere its been progressing even without competition. heck mobile is progressing nicely for a long time, and AMD has never since very recently been a mobile contender

the new windows store version of Geogebra is awful and all of its newer derivatives. 

* PSU's dont need to be gold rated or higher, they wont explode and die or whatever other nonsense just because its not gold/silver/bronze. ALL that refers to is efficiency and how much it costs to run (which is correlated to quality to a degree but not one the average person needs to worry about). If regular power supplies exploded and were unreliable nobody would sell them due to the lawsuits they would create.

* Light mice suck, I dont get this obsession with mice that weigh like 70grams and are basically made out of holes to get there. It feels like Im holding a junk toy.

* Curved screens are cancer, every time I sit in front of one a piece of me dies and I sit there wondering "Who the hell is OK with this and thinks this is good?"

* You dont need a current gen $1500 system to play games. People LOVE to act like anything less than an 9th gen i5 and a RTX2060 is going to give barely playable framerates at 720p on low if it can play games at all. I have had so many people tell me they'd love to get into PC gaming but cant afford the $1500 minimum for a gaming rig worth playing on. A SFF Dell or HP with a 4790, 16gb RAM an SSD and a 1050Ti/1660/1660Ti Low Profile will cost you $400 tops and play basically everything 1080p on high NP. You can PC game for the price of an Xbox or Playstation with much better graphics if you want to.

* Android Tablets are awesome - I have a Note Pro 12.2 and use it to gamestream. I keep a small pack with a mini rapoo keyboard, mouse, headphones, USBOTG adapter and Xbox 360 controller for gaming when Im stuck somewhere for a few hours. I also run my entire day and business on it because widgets faaaar exceed iPad nonsense.

* Samsung Touchwiz is fine.

On 9/19/2019 at 2:47 AM, 5x5 said:

Laptops have become too "thin and light" at the expense of everything else

This tbh miss the good ol days where the more IO = pretty much better. Wouldn't even mind it if they become somewhat heavier. Honestly surprises me how many people I hear complaining about laptop weight at the moment.

Main system

Spoiler
X5650 (4gzh), Hyper 212 Black Edition, Asus Sabertooth X58, 24GB, MSI GTX 1070 AERO 8G OC and ASUS ROG STRIX RX 470 4GB OC, COSMOS II 25th Anniversary Edition, 
HP Omen 25 1080P 144hz monitor

Main server (HP ProLiant ML350 G6)

Spoiler

2x Intel Xeon E5530, 2.40GHz, 4 cores 8 threads (total 8 cores 16 threads), 48GB, Quadro FX3700

Main laptop (HP Omen 15-ax280nd)

Spoiler

i7-7700HQ, 8GB, GTX 1050

(24/7) Application hosting server

Spoiler

(Case) VDG/Chenbro RM13704, AMD 5350, 2,05GHz, 4 cores, 8GB

Storage server (HP ProLiant ML350 G6)

Spoiler

Intel Xeon E5620, 2.40 GHz, 4 cores 8 threads, 8GB

NAS

Spoiler

ReadyNAS 2100, 4x1TB storage with 1TB of usable storage (3 drives used for backups).

11 hours ago, The_Prycer said:

Linux, while a great OS, is not the answer to all of our problems

THANK YOU

12 hours ago, The_Prycer said:

The Rx 570 is not the be all end all of budget cards.

Especially not when used market 1070s for sub-$250 exist.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Newer cars are bullshit and overrated. Too much technology has been crammed into something mechanical. There should have been a fine line, such as diagnostics only (though the blind spot indicator has saved me from getting sideswiped by retards). No car needs a fucking touchscreen in the dash - that's just encouraging driver distraction.

The newest car I own is from 1998 and honestly, anything from the late 90's through today is all garbage.

On 9/20/2019 at 7:33 AM, Dan Castellaneta said:

2. This one might be a stretch for this thread, but Chrysler's Uconnect infotainment systems are the best in the automotive industry bar fucking none, Tesla included.

Oh my god I couldnt disagree more. Uconnect is brutal. I cant count the number of times I have customers coming in with dead and malfunctioning Uconnect. Specifically im talking about previous generation to current. Current I havent heard much about yet and my experiences using them have been positive but before the current gen they were all junk and on top of that they sounded HORRIBLE. Put one on an oscilloscope and just cry at the results. Anytime I had to integrate with one to do an aftermarket stereo I knew I was fighting a garbage signal right off the start that I was gonna have to spend time cleaning up before I could even start tuning.

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

Newer cars are bullshit and overrated. Too much technology has been crammed into something mechanical. There should have been a fine line, such as diagnostics only (though the blind spot indicator has saved me from getting sideswiped by retards). No car needs a fucking touchscreen in the dash - that's just encouraging driver distraction.

The newest car I own is from 1998 and honestly, anything from the late 90's through today is all garbage.

I disagree, There are good newer cars, though most newer cars I agree are too complicated to try repairing yourself. And even the mechanical stuff is getting too complicated, like companies switching to garbage CVT transmissions to market higher MPG numbers that aren't realistic in actual daily driving.

Even worse than the touchscreen IMO is how most manufacturers don't even try to integrate the touchscreen, it looks terrible with something that looks like a tablet glued to the dashboard.

13 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Especially not when used market 1070s for sub-$250 exist.

The used market is finally coming down from crypto mining to where buying used can be a solid budget option again, but even at a similar price point there are other brand new options I'd use over the 570 for a 4GB card simply because I'm sick and tired of everyone thinking it is somehow the best thing since sliced bread.

For literally the same price new I'd rather drop a GTX 1650 in so I can have the luxury of not needing cable management and get a slightly newer GPU architecture with no discernible difference in frame rate and better performance in most mainstream video editing software.

That isn't to even say the almost 50% reduction in TDP the 1650 offers over the 570, making it a vastly more attractive option to people trying to buy used prebuilt systems with laughable PSUs and turning them in to budget gaming rigs or who live in RV's or areas where brownouts are a more frequent occurrence.

I get it, the 8GB version of the RX 570 is probably one of the best price-to-performance cards on the market, but the 4GB version just doesn't do it for me.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

On 9/18/2019 at 8:46 PM, imreloadin said:

Does wearing a seat belt cause you to drive more dangerously? That's literally the argument you're making here...

I don't think it would make people worse drivers, however I think it might even cause accidents for competent drivers. Our s***ty Honda accord's brake assist thing goes of GOD DAMN EVERYWHERE, you go around a corner *goes off*, goes into center turn lane *goes off*, go around someone turning right *goes off*. I swear It's almost caused me to have an accident and the ~year and a half I had to drive it it never ONCE actually saved or even came close to saving me from an accident (I decided to count it once and in ~2 months of driving mostly the 3 miles to and from school and to the store every so often it went of 56 times! 56 f***ing times and NOT ONCE was it warranted. So happy my good ol' 2000 Jeep Cherokee doesn't have any of this s***.

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

21 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

I agree for the most part, like the whole screen thing is retarded, but on a positive note some of the newer vehicles are great on fuel economy and great strides have been made in engine technology. It's not perfect and shit seems to go wrong more often, but some of the stuff has been pretty neat and beneficial. 

19 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I disagree, There are good newer cars, though most newer cars I agree are too complicated to try repairing yourself. And even the mechanical stuff is getting too complicated, like companies switching to garbage CVT transmissions to market higher MPG numbers that aren't realistic in actual daily driving.

Even worse than the touchscreen IMO is how most manufacturers don't even try to integrate the touchscreen, it looks terrible with something that looks like a tablet glued to the dashboard.

What makes CVT bad? Genuine question, I might be getting a new vehicle that has one.

2 hours ago, Kaloob said:

Not as fun as a manual, or heck even an automatic transmission, and they can have a number of issues. Car enthusiasts love to rag on them, but if you're not buying a high performance car (waste of power on even an automatic imo) or taking the car to the track (or just don't care too much about performance), then they're fine and will help with MPG. Just make sure it's not a bad CVT and see how you like it by test driving it yourself.

I test drove it and it rode nice and I thought it was very fun to drive. I've been told I drive like a grandpa and it'd only be used to take trips and get around town, so performance is not at the top of my list at all. It's a Subaru if that's makes a difference, do they make good CVTs?

On 9/23/2019 at 8:15 PM, TempestCatto said:

Whoa, so much this. I have a cheap, 4-cyl car from 2005 with a manual transmission. I don't want all the new junk required in cars now. TPMS sensors break and cost a bunch to fix, newer vehicles require a $2000+ scan tool to diagnose because of manufacturer-specific codes. I don't want my steering to auto-correct my path, nor do I need my car to park itself. I commute on a motorcycle almost every day though, so I'm not the target audience for new, tech-laden vehicles.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

OK, mine:

1. FireFox is still the best web browser.

2. If you have the space in your case, it's still good to have a large amount of spinning drives for mass storage instead of just relying on a NAS.

3. For 99.999% of people, overclocking is functionally pointless for all but the most moderate of performance gains and the extra power/heat/instability risk isn't worth the effort.

4. Unicorn-vomit RGB is like a beautiful untamed stallion of disco inferno and anyone who disagrees will never have the soul of a poet..