Unpopular Tech Opinions

4 hours ago, minibois said:

Speaking of apps! Not every service/website requires an app! Just make a good mobile website and you're good!

On top of that - and this is more a message to some people and not an opinion... - you do not need to install an app for every website you often visit! Save space, delete those newspaper apps and such.

This!

Several times I've downloaded an app, only to have it serve a limited capacity hidden mobile webpage in it's own little browser.

I'd far rather just have a good mobile website, but until this is understood, there's at least the "request desktop site" checkbox.

Not every component in your PC needs RGB. It is distracting, doesn't improve performance, you don't even see it whilst gaming. Also many brands use propriatary connectors. You have a ASUS mainboard but corsair fans and a gigabyte graphicscard? Use 3 different programs that are not campatible with eachother.

On 9/18/2019 at 9:56 PM, Drak3 said:

Unless you're buying a Eurocom or Alienware Area 51m, the 8700K isn't a mobile processor.

when did I say it was a mobile proc. I was responding to the OP

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

when did I say it was a mobile proc. I was responding to the OP

You quoted me.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

There are some cases where Android tablets aren't a waste of money.

For example, I use mine to take notes in lectures. I know there are going to be people who will say that using a Surface or an iPad would be a better experience but to them I say, my Huawei (lynch me later) was £200 new. iPads are £350+, Surfaces are even more expensive and my Huawei works well enough for my needs and it means I don't have to carry around 3 large paper books to class every day.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

4 hours ago, XA33 said:

- heavy polycarbonate is an awesome material for phones

- more manufacturers should explore other materials for phones such as ceramics and rubber

- Removable batteries should be an option on both laptops and phones

- microSD and USB-C should be standards on every phone

- every single laptop should have upgradable RAM and SSD

- the thin and light trend laptops are going these days is worrying in my opinion

- Europe should extend its warranty to 3 years and USA to 2 or 3

- Apple isn't in top 5 phone manufacturers since 2018 or so

- Linux is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE for any user that does more than Youtube and facebook on their laptop

I feel like about 4 or 5 of these are not unpopular opinions?? Like I think most people agree replaceable batteries, USB Type C, expandable storage, upgradeable laptops and longer warranties are good things

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

• Phones above ~$250 today are a waste of money
  • All software should be Free as in Freedom
  • "Gaming" laptops are poorly designed and overall a bad investment
  • If you're a university student you have no business buying anything other than a refurbished business laptop
  • Flagship graphics cards are a waste of money
  • Apple hasn't made a single consumer product that was worth the asking price since the early 2000s
  • "It's a first gen product" is a bullshit excuse to sell you a prototype at the price of a finished product
  • VR is a flop
  • Ultrawide screens only cut horizontal resolution compared to similarly priced 16:9 displays
  • DRM is a sin against art akin to placing the Mona Lisa behind a cardboard grate
  • Major social networks are useless and sometimes harmful
  • HDR (the TV one) is a fad, well made movies don't need 10bit color and ultra high contrast to look amazing
  • The blockchain still has virtually no real world application because idiots keep investing in the virtual money implementations
  • Selfies look awful
  • I played Dark Souls 3 on keyboard and mouse and liked it
14 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

Well for gaming smart phones 12GB RAM matters.

It really doesn't. It doesn't matter on midrange desktops and only barely matters on high end ones, why would it ever matter on a phone where games are designed to run on as many devices as possible and where graphical fidelity is lower on the list than extreme monetization?

14 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Smart tech is dangerous and trash. Like smart home stuff and any other IOT. They're unsecured and over priced. They're for lazy people (though I guess disabled people can benefit from some stuff).

Hey, that's not unpopular :P all the cool kids hate on IOT (for good reason)...

14 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

AMD DOESN'T CARE

ABOUT YOU.

In fact, corporations in general don't care about you :ph34r:

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

In fact, corporations in general don't care about you :ph34r:

Yeah, I just singled them out because people seem to take them as the exception.

7 hours ago, Andrew 1337 said:

Linux and all its distros are terrible operating systems, even Mac OS is better.

If that were an unpopular opinion Linux would have a much larger marketshare.

Of course, I strongly disagree. I've gotten to a point where using anything other than my Linux setup feels annoying and impractical, simply because I have access to customizations and workflow optimizations that Windows and MacOS users can only dream of. Or not, because more often than not those people have no idea that those are even possible. You can't comprehend the huge difference a tiling window manager makes without having used one for a month or two.

Granted, it's not specific to Linux - technically you could do most of what I do on a FreeBSD system for instance - but it's definitely not available on Windows.

12 hours ago, imreloadin said:

You mean the same teens that were going to text and drive anyway right?

A lot of people like to hate on teens for this but in my experience it's mostly people in their 40s and 50s who text and drive. Most people tend to be extra careful when they just got their license.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Nvidia launches their GPU with not enough VRAM which causes them to be obsolete sooner than they could/should.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

16 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You can't comprehend the huge difference a tiling window manager makes without having used one for a month or two.

No need to get personal, I have used a tiling manager in Windows for years. It's easy to understand for most people.

The problem is most Linux users, like you, like to show off your sense of non-existent superiority to everyone. It's actually kind of funny, but more sad.

VIA HAS THE BEST CPUS/GPUS AND THEY WILL STRIKE BACK !!!

MY DREAM

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

17 minutes ago, Andrew 1337 said:

No need to get personal, I have used a tiling manager in Windows for years. It's easy to understand for most people.

The problem is most Linux users, like you, like to show off your sense of non-existent superiority to everyone. It's actually kind of funny, but more sad.

What superiority did I show off? I simply said that without trying it you can't know what it's like. It wasn't even personally directed at you, just a general statement. You're the one taking it more personally than is warranted.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Windows 10 Mobile was the best of the modern phone operating systems

100%

I absolutely loved my Windows Phone, even on super low end hardware it was super smooth. Sure, not all apps were there, but most of the big ones were

• Gaming laptops are pointless - laptops are meant to be portable, and when the power brick that's required to actually game weights about the same as a small child, it's not portable
  • Convenience is more important than privacy - to a certain extent anyway
  • You can like both MacOS and Windows..... at the same time!
  • Bezels on phones are good! A phone needs a chin for you to actually be able to hold it!
    • Also, flat screens are better!
    • Plastic phones are better than metal and glass phones
  • Mechanical keyboards are overrated
  • Anyone who spends more than 6 hours a day gaming and doesn't make money from it needs to get out the house
  • Case design peaked with the PowerMac G5/OG Mac Pro

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

I think the majority of people severely misunderstand Apple and just how important they are for a competitive market.

The iPhone is expensive because unlike the majority of their competitors, they're not just building a phone and slapping a third-party operating system on there. They're developing and maintaining an entirely separate OS, an entirely separate cloud infrastructure and an entirely separate suite of apps to go along with it. All of that costs money. Severely more money than just getting the latest ready-to-deploy version of Android, pre-installing Microsoft Office and making the user sign up for Google Mail. It makes sense for their products to be expensive, because they inherently have more work to do with new releases than any of their Android competitors (outside of Google).

With them being the only real competitor to Google in the market of mobile operating systems, their role is a tremendously important one. Google's near monopoly in the web browser market has already shown that they're willing to abuse the power they've been given.

Of course there are problems with Apple's products, and of course people are rightfully mad at Apple for some of their questionable decisions in the past (such as what they did in regards to the right to repair). But they're an important player and, as of today, the only one preserving your chance to choose which mobile operating system you'd like to use. Even if you'll always be using Android, they're the only ones pushing Google to innovate, so even if you're never even considering an iPhone, you're benefitting from their participation in the market.

4 hours ago, Paddo said:

Not every component in your PC needs RGB.

Blasphemy! ;)

4 hours ago, Murasaki said:

anything above 60hz no thank you

Respectfully disagree. Having gone from a 60Hz panel to a 144Hz and then back, there is a huge difference. But to each their own.

2 hours ago, Inversion said:

I feel like about 4 or 5 of these are not unpopular opinions?? Like I think most people agree replaceable batteries, USB Type C, expandable storage, upgradeable laptops and longer warranties are good things

They may be good things, but the trend seems to suggest otherwise. Take removable batteries for example, is there even a mid-range phone new this year that has this feature? The last decent one was made two or three years ago. Nowadays it's all about that IP68 and sealing the device from the elements. Even expandable storage is going away, with people choosing massive internal storage options. And most laptops have so many screws, proprietary I might add, that it makes it near impossible to gain access to your hardware. Of course with some digging I'm sure you can find one that's friendly to upgrading, but looking at the mainstream options I don't think it's the norm.  

53 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

Having gone from a 60Hz panel to a 144Hz and then back, there is a huge difference.

I switch between both several times a day, and sure there's a difference, but I'd argue that software makes more of a difference than the hardware.

MacOS on my desktop with a 60Hz panel feels smoother than my Windows laptop with a 144Hz panel.

I rarely game with my laptop, so the only reason I have the 144Hz panel is because it was the default panel option.

My previous laptop had a 120Hz panel, and the only reason I chose the 120Hz panel over the 60Hz panel was because of the increased colour accuracy. 

I would have happily went back to a 60Hz panel if I could have had a better CPU/RAM/SSD instead!

I get that if you're buying a GPU that is capable of pushing all the frames, then getting a monitor that can display all the frames is worth it, but I'd personally rather increase the visual detail than the frame rate.

Also, more unpopular opinions I have when it comes to monitors (although I guess a couple are less unpopular)

• 24" is the perfect monitor size!
  • More taller = more better!* - 
  • 1080p is good enough, 1440p nice but not needed
  • 4K TVs are overrated, especially when all you watch is streamed content. Give me high bitrate 1080p over 4K any day! #floatplane
  • OLED HDR TVs don't look 'realistic'

* except on mobile,18:9 (2:1) is the perfect aspect ratio for mobile.

In fact, while I'm on the topic of mobile, I have to say mobile design peaked with the LG G6, and considering the sales numbers, I guess this is also an unpopular opinion

The only things IMO that LG could have improved with the G6 was adding dual front facing speakers, and giving it the SOC it deserved!

See spoiler for my reasoning

Spoiler

Size = perfect, has just enough chin and forehead to hold it landscape, and thin enough side bezels to not accidentally touch the screen when existing near the phone

Button layout = perfect - the finger print reader is where it belongs, on the back!

Cameras = pretty much spot on - wide angle and standard lens (telephoto is basically pointless), no camera hump, good enough image quality with the Pixel camera app

Headphone Jack = exists
USB C = need I say more?

Software = decent - I actually really like LG's skin, it's not far from stock. Shame about the lack of updates though

Wireless charging (unless you live in Europe that is!)

If LG just re-released the G6 with the 855 and front facing speakers, I'd buy it in a heartbeat

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue