Unpopular Tech Opinions

1 minute ago, Stylized_Violence said:

People say it is? It's literally the answer to not running out of addresses, lol

Some people are lazy and don't like how "confusing" it is :P

I agree there are some places it just doesn't always have an immediate place, like an internal management network, but in most cases it makes sense to start migrating at least.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Notches, why do people give a damn if a phone has a "notch" on it. FFS its like a 1/8th to 1/4 on an inch at the edge of the phone. People that complain about this or actually factor it into a buying decision when picking a phone will never make sense to me, its so ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Tilaron said:

I miss DVI ports, I miss the security of the thumbscrews :(

I still use dvi cables because my monitor doesn't support 144hz over hdmi lmao

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

People that complain about this or actually factor it into a buying decision when picking a phone will never make sense to me, its so ridiculous.

It cuts into full screen content like games, requiring either a modified UI or developers to ignore an audience base that is growing due to less notchless options.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 9/19/2019 at 2:41 AM, Stylized_Violence said:

Ever feel like you were alone in what you thought about technology today? I sure have, so I thought I'd create this thread to see if we're truly as alone as we may think. So ITT, list off a few items that seems go against the grain when it comes to mainstream tech ideas. I'll start.

1. High end specs in a phone (ie 12GB of RAM) are a waste of money to both produce and buy

2. 'Safety features' in a modern vehicles, like applying the brakes for you, will create bad driving habits and bad drivers overall

3. Voice assistants are a bad idea

Bill Gates Said 640K RAM Was Enough

gaming phones are kind of stupid, I don't think that many people are full out phone "gamers"

most up to date phones can handle the games that people want to play.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

47 minutes ago, mxk said:

most up to date phones can handle the games that people want to play.

All current flagship phones can. An iPhone 8+ will handily beat out gaming phones in raw gaming performance if RAM isn't an issue (right now, it's not).

Hell, gaming phones are actually kinda weak for their price. A Note 9 or S9 is a better buy for gaming. Something about money and how fools are easily parted from it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

15 hours ago, Tilaron said:

I miss the security of the thumbscrews

Everytime I've pulled my computer out recently the choke bulge on the keyboard and mouse USB cables catch and they fall out. It's massively annoying and securing screws would be very welcome!

15 hours ago, Tilaron said:

thumbscrews

Also, go hard or go home, let's make them torx!

On 9/18/2019 at 7:46 PM, imreloadin said:

Does wearing a seat belt cause you to drive more dangerously? That's literally the argument you're making here...

No the argument being made is that by the car sensing when to apply the breaks the driver no longer cares how much distance is between them and the objects in front of them. Thus speeding down road not watching for people in the cross walk because the car will see them and stop for you. Its an active vs passive safety thing. I'm not arguing against auto break systems, because it can come in handy should you get distracted, but I do see the fundamental logic of the that OP is using.

17 hours ago, Drak3 said:

All current flagship phones can. An iPhone 8+ will handily beat out gaming phones in raw gaming performance if RAM isn't an issue (right now, it's not).

Hell, gaming phones are actually kinda weak for their price. A Note 9 or S9 is a better buy for gaming. Something about money and how fools are easily parted from it.

You don't even need a flagship device for most tasks; my 3a on paper is shit compared to most phones yet it's snappy as hell in everything I do with it. If this puny thing can do what I want, why should I pay a premium for a bump in specs that I'll never actually see in IRL? That's rhetorical, btw ;)

On 10/7/2019 at 8:00 AM, Yebi said:

I refuse to believe that anyone has ever actually cared about bezel size, or things being made of plastic, before they heard reviewers complaining about it. And the reviewers started complaining about it for the sole reason of having more things to talk about

I've never cared about bezel size or things being made of plastic , so long as it is the right type of plastic and is designed properly. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

oh yah i think i posted here berfore but:

ASUS is a shitty brand

Laptops over 14" are not laptops anymore

netbooks were amazing

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 10/7/2019 at 1:59 AM, Arika S said:

mobile gaming is not all trash

Now THAT'S a really unpopular opinion haha. I've really given up on mobile gaming because of :

- Freemium games that prevent any progress without money after a few days

- Games riddled with ads and IAP

- Ridiculously-priced game-breaking IAP in all mobile games (99$ options in almost all of these games)

- Pay-to-win : no real competition anymore

- Energy systems : I want to play whenever I want however long I want

(Would you have any cool mobile game suggestions that wouldn't fill any of the categories mentioned above on Android ? I don't mind paying for a good game and I don't mind reasonable IAP !)

On 10/6/2019 at 5:45 PM, Ravendarat said:

Notches, why do people give a damn if a phone has a "notch" on it. FFS its like a 1/8th to 1/4 on an inch at the edge of the phone. People that complain about this or actually factor it into a buying decision when picking a phone will never make sense to me, its so ridiculous.

So I have a notch on my iPhone and for the most part I don't notice it, but there are times when I am trying to view an image and the top portion of said image is cut off by the notch and that is really annoying. For people who really care about the flow of their screen, I'm sure having a notch jutting out of the bezel can be a bit jarring if you're not used to it, but it's otherwise just a thing that you really stop noticing after a few weeks.

So unless you view a lot of comics on your phone, I guess notches aren't a huge issue.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

I think RGB control in the industry sucks because everyone has their own software and their own system. I want ONE STANDARDIZED software that can control RGB lighting on any product of any brand that has standardized connectors

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

On 9/18/2019 at 11:33 PM, imreloadin said:

You mean the same teens that were going to text and drive anyway right?

as a teen, i can seriously say, that if you can't drive and not die without tech, you shouldn't be anyways. using safety tech in cars should be the exception, not the rule

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

On 10/6/2019 at 5:45 PM, Ravendarat said:

So I have a notch on my iPhone and for the most part I don't notice it, but there are times when I am trying to view an image and the top portion of said image is cut off by the notch and that is really annoying. For people who really care about the flow of their screen, I'm sure having a notch jutting out of the bezel can be a bit jarring if you're not used to it, but it's otherwise just a thing that you really stop noticing after a few weeks.

So unless you view a lot of comics on your phone, I guess notches aren't a huge issue.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

XP is still the best OS, may not be unpopular but I love that Operating System

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

On 10/6/2019 at 8:20 PM, muito_gostoso said:

He never said that - and your link supports this. It's a myth perpetualized repeatedly, even on this forum.

9 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Laptops over 14" are not laptops anymore

How long have you had this opinion for? Because 15.6" was the de facto standard laptop size since... well.... Windows Vista days at least - even Windows XP laptops were common in 15.6".

In fact, smaller sizes were rare for a long time.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

How long have you had this opinion for? Because 15.6" was the de facto standard laptop size since... well.... Windows Vista days at least - even Windows XP laptops were common in 15.6".

In fact, smaller sizes were rare for a long time.

~4-5 years, ever since i got my second laptop(15.6") and it was too big and clunky for my bag and not nice on my lap either. Therefore i deemed them unworthy of laptop and will not recognise these things as laptops :P

im not that harsh on it, i just dislike laptops that big. Too cumbersome and they dont go in my nice bag either

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016