Best panel type for gaming?

Which panel type is best for gaming? and at what is the highest response time suitable for gaming? 

Think of the panel type of a side effect of the stuff you are looking for in a monitor. If you are gaming I recommend 144hz over 60hz IPS any day so TN would be my vote.

Response time is an arbitrary value and you would be best ignoring it altogether.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

no matter what my choice is ah-ips or what ever updated version after that but for gaming a really good TN panel is the best

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Which panel type is best for gaming? and at what is the highest response time suitable for gaming? 

lol. First of all the higher the response time the worse for gaming. Second of all, response time is not all there is. The input lag on your monitor is affected by the response time AND signal processing. With both combined, monitors almost always end up with over 10ms of input lag, even with a 2ms response time. Unfortunately manufacturers do not give the signal processing numbers, so you'll have to look for that stuff yourself on review websites such as tftcentral.co.uk

And while TN might be the fastest, with many panels less than 4ms, that doesn't mean jack when the signal processing time is long. So I wouldn't rely on that. Also, for gaming frankly I would much rather get an ips. It's worth the 5ms or so more input lag that you won't even notice. Heck some IPS monitors are faster than so called "gaming grade" TN panels. 

PS: not all IPS or TN panels are equal. There are some crappy IPS panels out there too.

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

no matter what my choice is ah-ips or what ever updated version after that but for gaming a really good TN panel is the best

even for gaming I think that the improved colors and whatnot will improve your gaming experience much more and maybe even make you do better than having a 2 or 3 ms better response time. 

even for gaming I think that the improved colors and whatnot will improve your gaming experience much more and maybe even make you do better than having a 2 or 3 ms better response time. 

yes but most people will want better response in games but my personal preference is all the way ips no matter what  :D

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Unless you're doing competetive gaming, I'd vote for IPS. You won't notice the difference of input lag anyways. I'd rather look good when dying ingame, instead of having a worse experience due to worse colors/viewing angles.

who cares...

lol. First of all the higher the response time the worse for gaming. Second of all, response time is not all there is. The input lag on your monitor is affected by the response time AND signal processing. With both combined, monitors almost always end up with over 10ms of input lag, even with a 2ms response time. Unfortunately manufacturers do not give the signal processing numbers, so you'll have to look for that stuff yourself on review websites such as tftcentral.co.uk

And while TN might be the fastest, with many panels less than 4ms, that doesn't mean jack when the signal processing time is long. So I wouldn't rely on that. Also, for gaming frankly I would much rather get an ips. It's worth the 5ms or so more input lag that you won't even notice. Heck some IPS monitors are faster than so called "gaming grade" TN panels. 

PS: not all IPS or TN panels are equal. There are some crappy IPS panels out there too. Yep i know higher response times are worse, i wanted to know what the highest ACCEPTABLE response time was for gaming

I don't think i can buy a 120 or 144hz monitor. Would an IPS panel with 6ms response time be fine? BTW thanks for all the replies :)

I don't think i can buy a 120 or 144hz monitor. Would an IPS panel with 6ms response time be fine? BTW thanks for all the replies :)

Like I said you shouldn't pay too much attention to response time.. signal processing usually takes a longer time than the response time and therefore actually affects the input lag more. Unfortunately there is no real way to find out the signal processing unless you go to particular review websites, and obviously those websites don't review all the monitors out there.

Please give a budget and country of residence and we can help you with your choice. 

@hawaiims I have a budget of roughly $160; USD that is, And i don't think you could help me with what to buy because availability here is messed up :P. I live in india btw

@hawaiims I have a budget of roughly $160; USD that is, And i don't think you could help me with what to buy because availability here is messed up :P. I live in india btw

any good websites for shopping for monitors in india? Amazon.in looks like it has nothing..

I found this:

http://www.amazon.in/DELL-TFT--S2240L-21-5-LED/dp/B009MXKJ2A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391455802&sr=8-2&keywords=dell+monitor

I have this monitor myself and it's great. Costs roughly 170 USD if I did my rupee to USD conversion right. One of the reviewers on amazon says backlight bleeding is bad on this monitor, but I don't find it to be the case. It's an IPS monitor btw and great for gaming. 

Couldn't really find much else on amazon.in though.. sorry. 

Yep, nothing at all. You could try these two sites- http://www.flipkart.com/ and http://www.snapdeal.com/ Although i think i might buy it from a shop somewhere. If you could give me a list of options, that would great   :)

Same monitor S2240L is still what I would recommend from going to these two websites. By far the cheapest website was snapdeal at 9005 rupees for the monitor:

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/dell-s2240l-215-inch-led/591240?pos=52;143

Once again, I highly recommend this monitor. It's a bargain for the price. 

Thanks so much @hawaiims !!!! everyone on this forum has been great so far. As for the Dell monitor, it's quite nice and i think i might just go for it :)