Speakers - Stereo Vs. Surround 5.1/7.1

Oddvar Ashborn

@Oddvar Ashborn

From what I understood from your post, are these your main criteria?

- Want positional tracking

- Light-weight headphones or Speakers

- Budget 150 EUR, although up to 250 EUR may be possible

- Audio quality standard is low

- Virtual surround sound is possible

My suggestion is AKG K240 Studio and an optional Mod Mic v4 (+50 EUR) if you need it to be a headset.

Why... 

- Light-weight (240g)

- Cheap (55 EUR on amazon.it)

Some cons

- Little bass, explosions won't feel as punchy

Why I didn't suggest other headphones / speakers

- Can't put rear speakers -> not much of a point getting surround setup regardless of budget

- I've owned the Tiamat 7.1 headphones before and I agree that it is quite heavy. However you didn't say much about audio quality in general so I assumed your expectations were low.

- There are more expensive options for headphones, I'd highly recommend to go to a brick and mortar store to try out other options (Audio Technica AD500X, Grado SR-80 + G cush) due to the price of them. And also for fit and comfort as well.

Thanks for reading all the way to the end... and I have a question for you!

Which competitive shooter are you playing?

From

A guy who spent way too much pursuing the surround sound gaming rabbit hole (home theatre and headphones)

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450M-Pro4 | Zotac GTX 3070 Ti

Shure SRH840A | Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT | LG C9 55"

19 hours ago, mononymous said:

@Oddvar Ashborn

From what I understood from your post, are these your main criteria?

- Want positional tracking

- Light-weight headphones or Speakers

- Budget 150 EUR, although up to 250 EUR may be possible

- Audio quality standard is low

- Virtual surround sound is possible

My suggestion is AKG K240 Studio and an optional Mod Mic v4 (+50 EUR) if you need it to be a headset.

Why... 

- Light-weight (240g)

- Cheap (55 EUR on amazon.it)

Some cons

- Little bass, explosions won't feel as punchy

Why I didn't suggest other headphones / speakers

- Can't put rear speakers -> not much of a point getting surround setup regardless of budget

- I've owned the Tiamat 7.1 headphones before and I agree that it is quite heavy. However you didn't say much about audio quality in general so I assumed your expectations were low.

- There are more expensive options for headphones, I'd highly recommend to go to a brick and mortar store to try out other options (Audio Technica AD500X, Grado SR-80 + G cush) due to the price of them. And also for fit and comfort as well.

Thanks for reading all the way to the end... and I have a question for you!

Which competitive shooter are you playing?

From

A guy who spent way too much pursuing the surround sound gaming rabbit hole (home theatre and headphones)

No thank You for trying to help me.

You got all my criteria right, except for the "headphones or speakers", since i have a preference for speakers. Reason is it would give me a much more satisfying music experience than any headphones, at least for me.

Beside that, as i said i would in my last post, i've conducted that test with my friend, and my successful tracking attempts while in 5.1, were 93%, while in 2.0 they were 28%. So there i realized i cannot give up 5.1 (and yes, they were still improperly set up, all 5 speakers pretty much in front of me). Furthermore, the prospect of buying a 5.1 is pushing me to look for some solutions in order to place the rear speakers behind me this time, and the Z906 looks to me like the perfect balance between surround and quality for the money i have. But what do i know, i might be wrong, and if so, i'm here to be criticized :P

By the way, right now i'm mostly playing Overwatch (and trying the MW Open Beta). That is until Breakpoint comes out and i might pause it a little bit.

i9 9900KS @5.0Ghz | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | EVGA RTX 2080S FTW3 ULTRA | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL15 | Samsung 970EVO 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 512GB | 2xHDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Enermax Platimax 1500W | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE

11 hours ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

No thank You for trying to help me.

You got all my criteria right, except for the "headphones or speakers", since i have a preference for speakers. Reason is it would give me a much more satisfying music experience than any headphones, at least for me.

Beside that, as i said i would in my last post, i've conducted that test with my friend, and my successful tracking attempts while in 5.1, were 93%, while in 2.0 they were 28%. So there i realized i cannot give up 5.1 (and yes, they were still improperly set up, all 5 speakers pretty much in front of me). Furthermore, the prospect of buying a 5.1 is pushing me to look for some solutions in order to place the rear speakers behind me this time, and the Z906 looks to me like the perfect balance between surround and quality for the money i have. But what do i know, i might be wrong, and if so, i'm here to be criticized :P

By the way, right now i'm mostly playing Overwatch (and trying the MW Open Beta). That is until Breakpoint comes out and i might pause it a little bit.

Welp, looks like I have a buddy in the I-hate-headphone-but-must-have-5.1 club. I hate headphones too. I don't like the in-your-head sound and like my head to be free of an annoying thingamajig. Also bonus because i can still have a conversation with my wife while gaming, or even sit down and enjoy a movie together.

I think that's a solid decision, the Z906 are pretty good and will save you a lot of headache in terms of setup.

A tip for your rear speakers: they do not have to be directly behind you. If they are at an angle of 100° - 110°, they will already give you the impression of rear sound.

Check out AliExpress for their cheap monitor arms, those work beautifully!

5 hours ago, vogelspinnen said:

Welp, looks like I have a buddy in the I-hate-headphone-but-must-have-5.1 club. I hate headphones too. I don't like the in-your-head sound and like my head to be free of an annoying thingamajig. Also bonus because i can still have a conversation with my wife while gaming, or even sit down and enjoy a movie together.

I think that's a solid decision, the Z906 are pretty good and will save you a lot of headache in terms of setup.

A tip for your rear speakers: they do not have to be directly behind you. If they are at an angle of 100° - 110°, they will already give you the impression of rear sound.

Check out AliExpress for their cheap monitor arms, those work beautifully!

I wouldn't go so far as to say that i hate them but yes, i do like to be free in all the senses you just described, and i like the sound to embrace me.

I was taking a look at AliExpress and AliBaba but i can't seem to find what i'm looking for. I don't even know if they existed but something tells me they do, some sort of extendable arm that i can hook at the edge of my desk, and extend/retract the speakers as i please... What do you think? xD

i9 9900KS @5.0Ghz | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | EVGA RTX 2080S FTW3 ULTRA | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL15 | Samsung 970EVO 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 512GB | 2xHDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Enermax Platimax 1500W | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE

16 minutes ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say that i hate them but yes, i do like to be free in all the senses you just described, and i like the sound to embrace me.

I was taking a look at AliExpress and AliBaba but i can't seem to find what i'm looking for. I don't even know if they existed but something tells me they do, some sort of extendable arm that i can hook at the edge of my desk, and extend/retract the speakers as i please... What do you think? xD

-1931624549.jpg.0c04aaa5b34018edc9a5012cd091d8f7.jpg

This is a photo of what i got when i was in China, they cost like 45RMB (USD6+) locally, so they were dirt cheap to me. I ended up purchasing extensions to make them even longer too. I tightened all except 2 of the bolts, so i can swing them out of the way when not in use.

Try searching with this photo and hopefully it helps you find it, it'll probably be more expensive outside of China tho. 

2 minutes ago, vogelspinnen said:

This is a photo of what i got when i was in China, they cost like 45RMB (USD6+) locally, so they were dirt cheap to me. I ended up purchasing extensions to make them even longer too. I tightened all except 2 of the bolts, so i can swing them out of the way when not in use.

Try searching with this photo and hopefully it helps you find it, it'll probably be more expensive outside of China tho. 

Do you think i might be able to find something like this? image.png.5941fea12f710f73df3ef605a1fb3cf6.png

It'd be kinda perfect xD

5 minutes ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

Do you think i might be able to find something like this? image.png.5941fea12f710f73df3ef605a1fb3cf6.png

It'd be kinda perfect xD

Well it definitely exists, it's just where to find it XD

Finding things on AliExpress can be a pain cos you just don't know what to search for. I've seen one that mounts on the ceiling and swings doen, but gave up the thought cos wiring that would be a massive pain.

1 minute ago, vogelspinnen said:

Well it definitely exists, it's just where to find it XD

Finding things on AliExpress can be a pain cos you just don't know what to search for. I've seen one that mounts on the ceiling and swings doen, but gave up the thought cos wiring that would be a massive pain.

That would be great, wiring aside xD

Problem is i don't even know what something like that photo is called. I've found similar ones but for microphones, don't know if they are adaptable for speakers.

3 minutes ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

That would be great, wiring aside xD

Problem is i don't even know what something like that photo is called. I've found similar ones but for microphones, don't know if they are adaptable for speakers.

Adapting shouldn't really be a problem, the Z906 have a screw mount behind and are pretty light. Mine weren't even for speakers, they are vesa plates for monitors and i just chucked my speakers on top.

42 minutes ago, vogelspinnen said:

Adapting shouldn't really be a problem, the Z906 have a screw mount behind and are pretty light. Mine weren't even for speakers, they are vesa plates for monitors and i just chucked my speakers on top.

How did you screw them on?

My speakers had a 3/8 screw mount at the bottom, i just used that to secure it to a hole on the vesa mount. It was just to keep the speaker from tipping over, the speaker itself sits quite firmly on the vesa plate which i turned upright.

5 minutes ago, vogelspinnen said:

My speakers had a 3/8 screw mount at the bottom, i just used that to secure it to a hole on the vesa mount. It was just to keep the speaker from tipping over, the speaker itself sits quite firmly on the vesa plate which i turned upright.

I'd screw it too, don't want it to fall xD I'll see what i can find, thanks pal