Mac? PC? You don’t have to choose..

nicklmg
1 minute ago, Results45 said:

Whaddya mean? Taran uses Windows for all editing all his 1000+ videos:

And these too:

Reveal hidden contents

Oh I know he does. Every video lately is just windows and gaming, mac and editing. They dont touch programs outside of that

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Oh I know he does. Every video lately is just windows and gaming, mac and editing. They dont touch programs outside of that

The rest of the programs generally just overlap and so they're not exclusive.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

One day LTT will realize Windows has more use than just gaming

Well there's going to be a Final Cut vs. Premier Pro vid coming at some point..........

But yes, I do wish (and hope) they review & demo a wider range of software and special use-case hardware (i.e. 3D printers/additive mfg. devices, AR glasses & motorcycling helmets, and really old computing tech).

4 hours ago, klingens13 said:

Linus, as much as I appreciate that you make this easy to understand, the whole “magic” out of hackinoshing. Hackintoshing is about finding out by yourself how everything works and is for people who actually have fun in tinkering around on machines with macOS. The motto of Hackintoshing is about having fun and strictly *not* getting a mac for a cheap. For that, buy a used macBook or something. If you’re actually interested in learning such things, then Hackintoshing is for you. That’ll then be rewarded with actually being able to run macOS. Even if you have no clue how everything works, you’ll be getting much support on forums or discords. This is why the community doesn’t offer support  for any third party, step by step tutorials. I really enjoy your content but I need to say, in my mind, these videos are DISGUSTING.

I don't think I've read such an elitist comment in a long time lmao

I just want to know what motherboard they're using. I'm using a b350m mortar and a 2700x for my vfio rig but I want to upgrade to a 3900X (or 3950X if I have tons of cash) and full atx eventually because being limited to uATX has brought me to creating this monstrosity spacer.png

7 hours ago, klingens13 said:

Linus, as much as I appreciate that you make this easy to understand, the whole “magic” out of hackinoshing. Hackintoshing is about finding out by yourself how everything works and is for people who actually have fun in tinkering around on machines with macOS. The motto of Hackintoshing is about having fun and strictly *not* getting a mac for a cheap. For that, buy a used macBook or something. If you’re actually interested in learning such things, then Hackintoshing is for you. That’ll then be rewarded with actually being able to run macOS. Even if you have no clue how everything works, you’ll be getting much support on forums or discords. This is why the community doesn’t offer support  for any third party, step by step tutorials. I really enjoy your content but I need to say, in my mind, these videos are DISGUSTING.

Lol, hackintosh gatekeeper, what century is this?

All fine and well until Apple one day decides to flip the switch unannounced and MacOS will REQUIRE their T2 chip for more than just security. Your storage drives, installed software, copy of the OS and even boot permissions will be tied to that unique soldered chip that only they provide on their motherboards and laptops.

We can speculate why this hasn't happened yet, but you can be sure Apple will find a way to make installing and booting MacOS on anything other than their own hardware a no-go pretty soon.

Yeah, that overpriced cheese grater they want you to buy for heavy lifting will be the only way forward for serious use. Start saving your money now.

3 hours ago, Luscious said:

All fine and well until Apple one day decides to flip the switch unannounced and MacOS will REQUIRE their T2 chip for more than just security.

Why did you feel the need to comment? You've added nothing to this discussion. We get it, you don't like Apple. You're so cool. 

At least Mr. Hackentoshes for special people only up there is a new kind of troll.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

Only Windows and OSX? Where's Linux? And Haiku? Why not go for 10 OSes simultaneously?!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Hold up I just got an idea. It's kinda annoying to have a pc at home and a laptop on the go as you constantly have to transfer files between them or lose your open browser tabs or something. So what if we just set up a KVM hypervisor on a laptop and on a pc, create one VM that contains everything we do and just use the live-migration feature as soon as we get home/go out to move the VM between pc and laptop without closing any programs or moving files?

7 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

Why did you feel the need to comment? You've added nothing to this discussion. We get it, you don't like Apple. You're so cool. 

At least Mr. Hackentoshes for special people only up there is a new kind of troll.

Why did you feel the need to comment? You've added nothing to this discussion. We get it, you like Apple. You're so cool. 

Seriously, Apple limiting MacOS to only their hardware seems to be a serious concern, and you just mock him?

These T2 chips are not in there for nothing.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

had to sign up just to say that this has inspired me to continue to be broke and plug lttstore.com wherever i can in real life lol

Loved the idea, not so much the way it was done…

First I'd like to have more powerful hardware if I'm running 2 systems in it specially if one if for gaming and other for work. Better CPU would be nice.

Second I haven't seem the specs for the drives (not saying it wasn't there just saying what I wrote:I didn't see it) and I think individual NVME drives might be best if possible. Also can a huge shared HDD be shared between systems in real time?

Third (and most important) a better-less-janky way to do the whole thing. That's the main thing stopping everyone to try this, I assume…

And last but not least it would be SO MUCH better inside a MacProG5 case!! ?

Oh this is pretty sweet. I always wanted to do something like this but with Linux for personal use and Windows for gaming and other programs. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to running 2 VMs vs let's say running Windows and then running a Linux VM in it?

https://github.com/debauchee/barrier is probably the synergy fork you're looking for.  Synergy "proper" is no longer open source and therefore hard to recommend to anybody (pro-tip: don't try to make a living by turning your open-source project into a closed-source project, it almost never works).  However, I don't think drag-and-drop to/from linux.

P.S.: Can the thing be split into thirds?  Having "the big line" straight ahead would eventually make me nuts in a setup like that.

Kind-of sad that in all of human history nobody has been able to crack the high-performance multi-platform window-granularity remoting "nut".

I just watched this video.... new here, question: is there also an actual guide to set this up besides this show-off ad-like video. Is there a section on this website where the gentlemen next to Linus actually describes what and how he configurated things in some sort of step by step tutorial? 

Hey LTT/Anthony,

I work on android/iOS apps as a developer for a company and using a triple monitor setup, I run Windows 7 as my native OS, and using Orcale VM VirtualBox (Linux/Ubuntu) and VMWare Workstation 15 Player (macOS high sierra 10.13) I'm able to achieve seamless (fullscreen and borderless) triple OS set ups using my main Rigs setup to deliver parts of my CPU, RAM, and GPU across all 3 OSes with drag and drop clipboard sharing right out of the box on the respective softwares. The set up was very simple and took almost NO effort to do minus setting up .iso files and both extraneous OSes use virtualized hard drives without any issues or performance drops whatsoever. This way I'm able to run a server from my Linux VM, monitor it, while developing android apps on my Windows OS, and simultaneously building/coding/debugging the same App on my macOS VM and shipping both to their respective App Stores once the version update is complete. It also plays well when I push the project to git and then just "git pull" from both OSes for the latest updates and am ready to build in VSCode or build in Xcode on the fly.

I think the entire setup is completely seamless and since I'm running my Windows OS as my native OS, I dont even have to ever launch the other 2 OSes unless i really need them, allowing my main OS to completely utilize all 32GB of ram and 4.1GHz of CPU when I'm gaming.

I'm trying to understand if there's an inherent benefit to running a simultaneous VM set up with a KVM OS as your native OS versus doing it the way I have it set up (native Windows, with 2 VM's running simultaneously) because I'm seeing no performance issues with my current set up (though it is a nearly $4,000 PC I built and was always overkill for anything I was doing until now that I'm running 2 VMs)

Any walk-through on what they used and how exactly is it being set up? I was thinking of using Proxmox 6 to do the VM management (has a pretty decent web gui).

Also, what's the mobo?

23 hours ago, Pinot said:

Hey LTT/Anthony,

I work on android/iOS apps as a developer for a company and using a triple monitor setup, I run Windows 7 as my native OS, and using Orcale VM VirtualBox (Linux/Ubuntu) and VMWare Workstation 15 Player (macOS high sierra 10.13) I'm able to achieve seamless (fullscreen and borderless) triple OS set ups using my main Rigs setup to deliver parts of my CPU, RAM, and GPU across all 3 OSes with drag and drop clipboard sharing right out of the box on the respective softwares. The set up was very simple and took almost NO effort to do minus setting up .iso files and both extraneous OSes use virtualized hard drives without any issues or performance drops whatsoever. This way I'm able to run a server from my Linux VM, monitor it, while developing android apps on my Windows OS, and simultaneously building/coding/debugging the same App on my macOS VM and shipping both to their respective App Stores once the version update is complete. It also plays well when I push the project to git and then just "git pull" from both OSes for the latest updates and am ready to build in VSCode or build in Xcode on the fly.

I think the entire setup is completely seamless and since I'm running my Windows OS as my native OS, I dont even have to ever launch the other 2 OSes unless i really need them, allowing my main OS to completely utilize all 32GB of ram and 4.1GHz of CPU when I'm gaming.

I'm trying to understand if there's an inherent benefit to running a simultaneous VM set up with a KVM OS as your native OS versus doing it the way I have it set up (native Windows, with 2 VM's running simultaneously) because I'm seeing no performance issues with my current set up (though it is a nearly $4,000 PC I built and was always overkill for anything I was doing until now that I'm running 2 VMs)

As I know (and tried) you cannot make gpu passthrough in virtualbox, vmware, hyper v.

If you want edditing photos, videos then your VM cannot handle it smoothly.

Hello LTT/Anthony,

do you think this setup or configuration can be done on a laptop, for example a acer nitro 5???

2 hours ago, RaiS said:

Hello LTT/Anthony,

do you think this setup or configuration can be done on a laptop, for example a acer nitro 5???

Probably not, unless the laptop has 2 physical GPUs. The CPU also needs Intel VT-d (or AMD-Vi) for direct virtualization, and enough cores so each VM can work ~ok. My guess is Anthony split the ryzen 3900x - 4c/4t per VM. Then there is the problem with the available PCI-e lanes, the two GPUs won't be runnning at x16 - it would run in something like: 1x16+x4, 2x8+x4, 1x8+2x4+x4.

I'm planning a similar setup but will probably use a Threadripper.

seems this is a ghost forum thread, any question on a how-to remains unanswered by the LTT gang, well LTT-minus-the-tips that is....