What to do when RMA is lost during shipping

Synedisis

I've done several RMA's in the past and I have luckily never had to deal with a lost package.

Now that I've started to move into more expensive products I've started to worry about it possibly happening.

What are your recommendations to prevent myself from having to replace it with my own money?

I know RMA policies vary but overall are there any safe precautions I could take in case I do have to RMA?

Thermaltake Overseer RX-1
Intel i7-4930K
Asus RoG-Strix 1070ti A8G 
Asus P9X79 
Corsair Vengance 16GB DDR3 (4 x 4gb) RAM
Thermaltake Frio
Corsair HX750 
Samsung 860 Evo 500gb
Seagate Firecuda 2tb

Usually you have to pay for your own return shipping. When you do you can pitch in the extra handful of dollars to insure the value of the product if it's lost or damaged.

So always insure your products and require signatures if that's an option. It's saved me so much hassle when doing an RMA on equipment because if it does get lost during the return process I can easily reference the chain of custody on the shipper's part and direct the company I'm RMA'ing to that I did my due diligence in returning their product and am not trying to scam them.

If the product is worth more than 10K I'll even toss a GPS tracker in the box because I'm not trying to get charged for equipment that expensive.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

5 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Usually you have to pay for your own return shipping. When you do you can pitch in the extra handful of dollars to insure the value of the product if it's lost or damaged.

It's actually pretty expensive if you RMA something that's worth a lot. I believe the quote for my laptop was $300 CDN. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

29 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

It's actually pretty expensive if you RMA something that's worth a lot. I believe the quote for my laptop was $300 CDN. 

For me in the U.S. UPS insures your package for $100 automatically. Then you pay $1 for every additional $100. That means I can insure a DOA $1000 CPU for +$9 on my shipping. Your mileage is going to vary based on company & location but for me, with UPS, where I live, insurance comes pretty cheap.

When shipping a return (the correct term for returning something; RMA means Return Material Authorization, which can be a document, a number, or both), be sure to put all documentation inside the package.

Be sure the package is insured if you are paying for the shipping. If the vendor is paying for the shipping, it's the vendor's responsibility for insurance.

Always get a receipt and a tracking number even if the vendor has provided a shipping label (a copy of the label should also be enclosed inside the package). Do not just use a carrier's drop off box. If a package goes astray (or the vendor claims it didn't receive it when it has) and you do not have proof that the carrier received it, you are S.O.L.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Exactly what she says. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Appreciate all the responses guys! I'll be sure to use these hopefully never but most likely in the future!

Thermaltake Overseer RX-1
Intel i7-4930K
Asus RoG-Strix 1070ti A8G 
Asus P9X79 
Corsair Vengance 16GB DDR3 (4 x 4gb) RAM
Thermaltake Frio
Corsair HX750 
Samsung 860 Evo 500gb
Seagate Firecuda 2tb

Had an experience with an RMAed phone getting lost a few months back, the retailer looked into the issue and sent out a replacement for me without fuss. 

Generally the manufacturer or seller tends to foot the bill for shipping, at least in my experience. If they provide shipping, insurance is also down to them. Likewise, should something go missing, it is their issue as the contract for delivery of the goods is between them and the courier service.

If you're footing the bill for shipping, the same applies. If the item is lost, it is your problem. For expensive goods, I'd 100% get the full works. Insurance, tracking and signed delivery. For very expensive items, a tracker might not be a bad idea.

If you do have to pay for the shipping (which is unusual in my experience!), make sure you read the terms of the insurance before you take it out!

I've seen a few couriers that exclude faulty/returned items from any insurance claims so even if they lose it they don't have to pay out

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue