Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Allptraum1989

High-End WQHD 144hz 32" Curved Display for about $650

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, i am abound to finish my summer job i did for a new screen (i am currently stuck at 4k 60hz) and i want to get a nice big wqhd 144hz.

Unfortunately, finding a good one has proven quite difficult.

 

Things i absolutely want:

-Curved,

-VESA option,

-2560x1440

-144hz,

-some sort of sync controller (either gsync or freesync. as long as it works with my NVidia gpu)

-31.5 - 32"

-and as little motion blur as possible 

-Adjustable stand (pitch and height)

 

Things i don't care about:

-Great IO. I just want a sufficient DisplayPort or HDMI

-Great viewing angles (As long as it looks fine from my position thats right infront)

 

Things i don't want:

-400nit HDR (hdaren't)

 

 

My friend has just got himself an AOC Gaming CQ32G1 (https://amzn.to/32Nu4DL) for $380.

It is 31.5", WQHD, 144hz curved and claims to be 1ms.

When i looked at it in real life, it appeared to be a very nice, smooth display. But it had a LOT of motion blur. Even at 1ms.

I would get the same one, had it not this much motion blur.

 

Originally i wanted to get an Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ (https://amzn.to/32YoEGn) for $640, but it has 4ms wtf...

Most reviews state that these 4ms bottleneck it down to about 120hz. They also point out that it has vertical lines on solid colors.

Doesn't seem to quite match the premium price tag...

 

Sadly i wasn't able to find any other screen that matches my needs. I think it should be very possible to get a nice WQHD 144hz 32" 1ms curved display for $650.

Do you have any suggestions?

 

Best regards,

allpi

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the problem with VA panels... they smear. It's largely inherent to the tech, although the LG 32GK850G-B is actually far better in this regard, so that would be worth a look. I had one myself briefly and found it very good, but I did return it, simply because I found the PPI a bit too low coming from 4K. It isn't curved, but you shouldn't let that put you off, because it's definitely one of the best VA panels you can get. Otherwise, I don't think the monitor you seek exists, not in that very specific spec, as every other VA panel will smear, and there are no IPS curved options. You may have to look at smaller monitors, and there are far more 27" size than 32"... and I'd argue that's preferable anyway, unless you have less than perfect vision or the monitor will be at a further distance.

 

Aorus CV27Q is soon to be released and meets your spec albeit in 27" size, but I'm sure will smear. If you're sensitive to this, I think EVERY VA monitor might be a problem for you. But you'd have to try and see.


System: BC1 Mini - 2700X - ROG X470-I Gaming, XB321HK, Dark Rock 3, 32GB RAM, EVGA Black 2080Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites

First suggestion is to pretty much ignore the so called "4,1 whatever" gtg response times provided by manufacturers. Most of them don't represent the real life response times, input lag etc. Check websites like tftcentral, rtings for various tests performed on your picked monitors. Regarding the curved displays, it somewhat limits the choice. The 32 inch size is also another limiting factor as most displays are in ~27 inch range or ultrawides. For non curved, check the LG 32GK650F or LG 32GK850F, for curved check the msi mag321cqr (VA panel). Just got it myself and so far had no complains, beautiful for media consumption. Went to msi from aw3418dw. Amazing monitor, but could not stand the blb and ips glow on the panel and was not lucky to get a decent one in two tries.. If you decide that 27 inch and not curved would be an option saw great reviews on new LG's lg27gl850 or some time ago annouced aorus ad27qd. Hope this anyhow helps :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, atomicus said:

This is the problem with VA panels... they smear. It's largely inherent to the tech, although the LG 32GK850G-B is actually far better in this regard, so that would be worth a look. I had one myself briefly and found it very good, but I did return it, simply because I found the PPI a bit too low coming from 4K. It isn't curved, but you shouldn't let that put you off, because it's definitely one of the best VA panels you can get. Otherwise, I don't think the monitor you seek exists, not in that very specific spec, as every other VA panel will smear, and there are no IPS curved options. You may have to look at smaller monitors.

Okay, do i understand correctly that all curved monitors are VA panels? So if i would just get a flat one, i could just go with a TN option and be fine?

I'd rather ditch the curved option to get clean motion

 

I don't think the PPI is going to put me off too much (even though i am dropping the res while going for a bigger screen). I have glasses, but use my pc without them. Downscaling my 4k down to 1440 doesn't make this much of a difference. Also, 1440 native will always look much better than 1440 downscaled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, atomicus said:

This is the problem with VA panels... they smear. It's largely inherent to the tech, although the LG 32GK850G-B is actually far better in this regard, so that would be worth a look. I had one myself briefly and found it very good, but I did return it, simply because I found the PPI a bit too low coming from 4K. It isn't curved, but you shouldn't let that put you off, because it's definitely one of the best VA panels you can get. Otherwise, I don't think the monitor you seek exists, not in that very specific spec, as every other VA panel will smear, and there are no IPS curved options. You may have to look at smaller monitors.

 

Aorus CV27Q is soon to be released and meets your spec, but I'm sure will smear. If you're sensitive to this, I think EVERY VA monitor might be a problem for you. But you'd have to try and see.

Perfectly described by colleague above as well.. :) Pretty much all panels have ups and downs..

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Allptraum1989 said:

Okay, do i understand correctly that all curved monitors are VA panels? So if i would just get a flat one, i could just go with a TN option and be fine?

I'd rather ditch the curved option to get clean motion

 

I don't think the PPI is going to put me off too much (even though i am dropping the res while going for a bigger screen). I have glasses, but use my pc without them. Downscaling my 4k down to 1440 doesn't make this much of a difference. Also, 1440k native will always look much better than 1440 downscaled.

Most yes, besides the ultrawides. They go for ~1000 moneys. TN also has a lot of downsides like color binding, not greates colors (there are some TN's which have better colors than some low end IPS though) and crappy viewing angles. Do you have the possibility to check some monitors in stores?? Would be best to do here ;D and pick what you like

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Allptraum1989 said:

Okay, do i understand correctly that all curved monitors are VA panels? So if i would just get a flat one, i could just go with a TN option and be fine?

I'd rather ditch the curved option to get clean motion

 

I don't think the PPI is going to put me off too much (even though i am dropping the res while going for a bigger screen). I have glasses, but use my pc without them. Downscaling my 4k down to 1440 doesn't make this much of a difference. Also, 1440k native will always look much better than 1440 downscaled.

 

TN has its flaws, gamma shift, poor colours, viewing angles etc. all exacerbated at that size. In fact, I'm not sure there are many TN panels at 32" actually... most are VA.

 

I would say your best options were one of the LG's... 32GK850G-B, 32GK650F or 32GK850F, or the curved MSI Envit0 mentions above, which is pretty good. MSI have had some decent monitors of late actually, and reasonably priced, so they are well worth a look.


System: BC1 Mini - 2700X - ROG X470-I Gaming, XB321HK, Dark Rock 3, 32GB RAM, EVGA Black 2080Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, Envit0 said:

Most yes, besides the ultrawides. They go for ~1000 moneys. TN also has a lot of downsides like color binding, not greates colors (there are some TN's which have better colors than some low end IPS though) and crappy viewing angles. Do you have the possibility to check some monitors in stores?? Would be best to do here ;D and pick what you like

i kind of do.

I could go down to my local electronics store. They have a few premium monitors connected to hp omens.

Sadly, for whatever reason, they are just idling on the desktop so all i can do is to move the cursor.

Maybe i could talk to the shop assistant about me thinking of buying one, maybe i could test a game in the store... I know they have their own steam account...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Allptraum1989 said:

i kind of do.

I could go down to my local electronics store. They have a few premium monitors connected to hp omens.

Sadly, for whatever reason, they are just idling on the desktop so all i can do is to move the cursor.

Maybe i could talk to the shop assistant about me thinking of buying one, maybe i could test a game in the store... I know they have their own steam account...

 

The problem is a shop really isn't the best environment for looking at a monitor and determining its suitability. You may notice very obvious flaws, if the smearing is really bad for example, but you might not. It's tricky, but better than nothing I suppose. I'd definitely try and check out those LG's and MSI options if you can though.


System: BC1 Mini - 2700X - ROG X470-I Gaming, XB321HK, Dark Rock 3, 32GB RAM, EVGA Black 2080Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, atomicus said:

 

TN has its flaws, gamma shift, poor colours, viewing angles etc. all exacerbated at that size. In fact, I'm not sure there are many TN panels at 32" actually... most are VA.

 

I would say your best options were one of the LG's... 32GK850G-B, 32GK650F or 32GK850F, or the curved MSI Envit0 mentions above, which is pretty good. MSI have had some decent monitors of late actually, and reasonably priced, so they are well worth a look.

I don't quite get it.. what are the differences between  the asus rog ive mentioned above and the 32GK850G for example?

They are VA panels aswell. Is it just that asus is bad at making monitors? :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Allptraum1989 said:

I don't quite get it.. what are the differences between  the asus rog ive mentioned above and the 32GK850G for example?

They are VA panels aswell. Is it just that asus is bad at making monitors? :D 

 

VA panels vary... they aren't all identical, although certain issues are generally inherent, to varying degrees. Hard to know precisely why this occurs, but it's all electronics and how the monitor functions at the end of the day. The LG 32GK850G, if you read reviews like this one: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_32gk850g.htm highlight how good it is.


System: BC1 Mini - 2700X - ROG X470-I Gaming, XB321HK, Dark Rock 3, 32GB RAM, EVGA Black 2080Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, atomicus said:

 

The problem is a shop really isn't the best environment for looking at a monitor and determining its suitability. You may notice very obvious flaws, if the smearing is really bad for example, but you might not. It's tricky, but better than nothing I suppose. I'd definitely try and check out those LG's and MSI options if you can though.

Well, i could also be THAT GUY that buys a monitor, returns it, buys another one, returns it... but i really do not want to be THAT GUY.  :D

Well, at least i'd have the option to test a monitor in the store, buy it and i'd have two weeks to determine if i really want it or if something about it ticks me off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, atomicus said:

 

VA panels vary... they aren't all identical, although certain issues are generally inherent, to varying degrees. Hard to know precisely why this occurs, but it's all electronics and how the monitor functions at the end of the day. The LG 32GK850G, if you read reviews like this one: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_32gk850g.htm highlight how good it is.

i have had a look at it. It appears to be IPS aswell. Not VA.

 

However i am not quite sure if i'd rather go with a curved one or with a non-smeary one...

Especially at 32", it might be nice to have a curved one.

 

If i would go with a flat one, it would most likely be the Lg 32GK850G. However it doesn't seem to offer a vesa mount? Or is it hidden somehow

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Allptraum1989 said:

i have had a look at it. It appears to be IPS aswell. Not VA.

 

However i am not quite sure if i'd rather go with a curved one or with a non-smeary one...

Especially at 32", it might be nice to have a curved one.

 

If i would go with a flat one, it would most likely be the Lg 32GK850G. However it doesn't seem to offer a vesa mount? Or is it hidden somehow

 

The 32GK850G is technically AMVA, but that's essentially VA. It does have a VESA mount, I had it mounted on one myself so can confirm that. It's behind where the stand mounts at the center rear, in the circular area.


System: BC1 Mini - 2700X - ROG X470-I Gaming, XB321HK, Dark Rock 3, 32GB RAM, EVGA Black 2080Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, atomicus said:

 

The 32GK850G is technically AMVA, but that's essentially VA. It does have a VESA mount, I had it mounted on one myself so can confirm that. It's behind where the stand mounts at the center rear, in the circular area.

Just read the review.

It actually says that it does have noticeable motion blur and should best be used at 120hz. (Because the pixel response time is waay too high)

What are your experiences with it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Envit0 said:

Just remembered, you could also check some reviews of benq ex3203r. Saw some good comments on it :)

Does is have a vesa mount though?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Allptraum1989 said:

Just read the review.

It actually says that it does have noticeable motion blur and should best be used at 120hz. (Because the pixel response time is waay too high)

What are your experiences with it?

 

I did not spend TOO much time with it, but I didn't have any problems. I only returned it as I felt the PPI a bit soft for my taste. I think if you're really sensitive to motion blur, you need to forget VA and look at IPS monitors instead. You won't find a VA monitor that doesn't have it.


System: BC1 Mini - 2700X - ROG X470-I Gaming, XB321HK, Dark Rock 3, 32GB RAM, EVGA Black 2080Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, atomicus said:

 

I did not spend TOO much time with it, but I didn't have any problems. I only returned it as I felt the PPI a bit soft for my taste. I think if you're really sensitive to motion blur, you need to forget VA and look at IPS monitors instead. You won't find a VA monitor that doesn't have it.

I have only seen one high refresh rate model in action and that was the cheapo one of my friend.

I do not know what is considered adequate motion blur, i know, i do not want as much smearing as this screen has.

Maybe it is just because its a curved 144hz wqhd screen for under $400...

 

It almost looked like the motion blur setting was turned on in the games settings

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've also been looking for a 32" 144hz panel. I've got it narrowed down to the following displays:

 

Pixio PX329

LG 32GK650F

AOC CQ32G1

 

Maybe one of these will work for you. The AOC is especially nice because it has a 3 year, zero dead pixel warranty. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Viper98 said:

I've also been looking for a 32" 144hz panel. I've got it narrowed down to the following displays:

 

Pixio PX329

LG 32GK650F

AOC CQ32G1

 

Maybe one of these will work for you. The AOC is especially nice because it has a 3 year, zero dead pixel warranty. 

 

The AOC is what his friend has and what he said he noticed horrible motion blur on. But as previously mentioned, I'd say this would be evident on any VA monitor, none will be totally immune. It will simply be down to user sensitivity to it, and what game is being played... faster games being worse of course.


System: BC1 Mini - 2700X - ROG X470-I Gaming, XB321HK, Dark Rock 3, 32GB RAM, EVGA Black 2080Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I think i am going for a curved monitor... despite the motion blur. If it ticks me off too much, ill just return it.

 

I am currently unsure wether i should go for the ASUS XG32VQR https://amzn.to/32OiHeU as it actually has quite good test results or the MSI Optix AG32C https://amzn.to/32Qw4eG.

 

Actually, nevermind. I'm definetily not going for the MSI Optix AG32C... it is 1080p... on 32"... wtf

 

 

Can't go for an ultrawide because there is not enough space on my desks because i have three (then four) monitors

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Allptraum1989 said:

I think i am going for a curved monitor... despite the motion blur. If it ticks me off too much, ill just return it.

 

I am currently unsure wether i should go for the ASUS XG32VQR https://amzn.to/32OiHeU as it actually has quite good test results or the MSI Optix AG32C https://amzn.to/32Qw4eG.

 

Actually, nevermind. I'm definetily not going for the MSI Optix AG32C... it is 1080p... on 32"... wtf

 

 

Can't go for an ultrawide because there is not enough space on my desks because i have three (then four) monitors

 

Only thing that makes me curious are reports of uneven backlight intensity... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, atomicus said:

 

The AOC is what his friend has and what he said he noticed horrible motion blur on. But as previously mentioned, I'd say this would be evident on any VA monitor, none will be totally immune. It will simply be down to user sensitivity to it, and what game is being played... faster games being worse of course.

All of the reviews I've seen state the opposite. Most say that it has next to no blur and about the best colour on a VA panel. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×