Facebook Court arises in 2020

Facebook have announced a new oversight committee coming in 2020.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49735795

Facebook has unveiled its plan to create an independent "oversight" board to make decisions over how the network is moderated.

The firm insisted the panel, which will hear its first "cases" in 2020, will have power to override decisions it makes over contentious material and influence new policy.

The idea, dubbed the Facebook supreme court, will eventually comprise 40 people around the world, but will be smaller at first.

Experts have questioned the board's independence, as well as the motivation behind the move.

"Facebook does not have a court," said Bernie Hogan, senior research fellow at the Oxford Internet Institute. "The only vote that really counts is the majority shareholder, Mark Zuckerberg."

He added: "Facebook's 'supreme court' invokes all the pomp and circumstance of actual judicial practice without any of the responsibility to citizens."

I totally agree with Bernie Hogan here. To me this seems more of a publicity exercise than anything else. Either that or they are getting lost in their own self importance.

How would the process work?

Facebook outlined how the board would operate in a charter published on Tuesday. The goals of the panel, as stated by Facebook, are to:

• "Provide oversight of Facebook's content decisions"
  • Reverse Facebook's decisions when necessary"
  • "Be an independent authority outside of Facebook"

why i am not surprised

i would be fine if this was randomly selected users

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Zuck thought they were his friends, but the poor robot found out he was only being used. No matter how much he tries to be their friends again, the little robot has been rejected. Undeterred, the little robot that couldn't will valiantly continue to burn down its platform in an effort to get people to like him again.

Randomly selected users would also be a horrible solution if they would not do vigorous screening of the the subjects up for that position, then again they own Facebook so they probably could.

14 minutes ago, HomeBoi said:

Randomly selected users would also be a horrible solution if they would not do vigorous screening of the the subjects up for that position, then again they own Facebook so they probably could.

Should just put the entire thing on Judge Judy. 

china social credit system or facebook social credit system

who's the better wolf to go out with

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

so what actual power will this "panel" have? is it just an honor system on facebook's end? could they not just turn around and say "yeah, we're not doing that" in repsonse to the panel's "ruling"

will the board be given beneficial ownership of the company and give them the ability to fire any facebook exec should they chose?

because the wording of

and influence new policy.

certainly doesn't sound like they have a lot of real power

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

so what actual power will this "panel" have? is it just an honor system on facebook's end? could they not just turn around and say "yeah, we're not doing that" in repsonse to the panel's "ruling"

will the board be given beneficial ownership of the company and give them the ability to fire any facebook exec should they chose?

because the wording of

certainly doesn't sound like they have a lot of real power

They explicitly state that the decisions are binding, although there are limits.  Facebook doesn't necessarily have to apply precedents set in one case to other areas that aren't directly affected.

No, the board can't fire Facebook execs, because it's a content oversight board, not a board of directors.  The point is to make content reviews that are consistent, informed and thoughtful, rather than asking product leaders to make snap decisions that may end up pleasing no one.

100% guaranteed to be comprised of devout leftist marxist communists.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Lol who uses facebook these days anyway.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition