Windows as bad as they say?

On 9/22/2019 at 4:12 AM, GoodBytes said:

You forgot that if you have swichable graphics, from different brands, that those are custom drivers made by the system manufacture, not Intel nor Nvidia. So you are at their merci for continuous and proper support.

The drivers are straight from Intel or Dell's site and nVidia's website.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/dn932812(v=vs.94)?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#system_fundamentals_graphics_hybridgraphics_multigpu

It's also not the GPU drivers. As I've stated repeatedly. Clicking the start button on any of the Enterprise dell machines, results in no menu opening. It did not do that under 1809. If it was the graphics drivers, then it would do that on ALL devices with the same vendor. If I want to go test that theory I can pull out a haswell laptop from 2014 with a FireGL and see if it does the same thing, but I'm absolutely confident it's not the gpu drivers.

On 9/18/2019 at 5:52 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

It doesn't hurt to delay a big feature update by a few months though just to let its problems come to light before jumping on it.  Don't confuse this with regular security updates though, these should always be installed asap.

Herein lies my big problem with Microsoft's updates.  You just can't trust that their security updates are in fact just that. 

https://betanews.com/2016/03/09/windows-10-advertising-in-ie-security-patch/

Sure, this is 3+ years ago, but trust is easy to break and I haven't seen too many attempts to regain that trust.  Or even an apology or an admission that they crossed a line.

Fool me once, shame on ... shame on you.  Fool me ... you can't get fooled again.

- George W. Bush

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

Herein lies my big problem with Microsoft's updates.  You just can't trust that their security updates are in fact just that. 

https://betanews.com/2016/03/09/windows-10-advertising-in-ie-security-patch/

Sure, this is 3+ years ago, but trust is easy to break and I haven't seen too many attempts to regain that trust.  Or even an apology or an admission that they crossed a line.

Yeah that's bad, but I would weigh once getting annoyed Vs hundreds of serious problems that have been fixed.  If that's the worst they've ever done then they've got a pretty awesome track record imo.  I would have expected at least a couple instances of a patch introducing a new bug or something like that.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.