Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
traha9

3600 MHz CL18 v 3200 MHz CL16 for Ryzen 3000?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am curious what RAM experts would recommend between these two SKUs of G. Skill RAM for an AMD Zen 2 Chip like the 3700 X or 3900 X? The difference is probably negligible, but the timings on the 3600 MHz kit look pretty loose. Would the lower CL and tighter timings of the 3200 kit actually result in better performance?

Specs:

Unless you have a X570 motherboard, the 3600Mhz is not really worth the investment

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: G.Skill Flare X 2400Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASRock B450M-Pro4  Case: Phanteks P300 PSU: Superflower Silver ECO 600W

@BigRom Yes, the 570 Taichi. It's only like $40 dollars difference too, which makes me even more suspect of the 3600 kit.

17 minutes ago, traha9 said:

@BigRom Yes, the 570 Taichi. It's only like $40 dollars difference too, which makes me even more suspect of the 3600 kit.

Neither are on the QVL list of the X570 Taichi, and anything beyond 3200Mhz is considered OC according to the board specs

I think you're better off just taking the 3200Mhz kit, 400Mhz in RAM speed isn't really noticeable in the real world.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: G.Skill Flare X 2400Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASRock B450M-Pro4  Case: Phanteks P300 PSU: Superflower Silver ECO 600W

34 minutes ago, BigRom said:

Neither are on the QVL list of the X570 Taichi, and anything beyond 3200Mhz is considered OC according to the board specs

I think you're better off just taking the 3200Mhz kit, 400Mhz in RAM speed isn't really noticeable in the real world.

@BigRom Interesting. Both were listed as compatible on the G. Skill website. I am assuming you didn't see it on ASRocks listing?

I guess I am asking more from a conceptual standpoint. Any opinion or insight on CL +/- 2 and +/- 400 MHz?

1 hour ago, traha9 said:

@BigRom Interesting. Both were listed as compatible on the G. Skill website. I am assuming you didn't see it on ASRocks listing?

I guess I am asking more from a conceptual standpoint. Any opinion or insight on CL +/- 2 and +/- 400 MHz?

Lower latency can make up for some of the speed difference, if the 3600Mhz kit was also CL16 then its a no-contest since its faster by 400Mhz while running the same timings.