Homemade DAS

lolz69

Hey everyone!

I know this may seem like a stupid idea, however I am not as experienced with computers to this degree...

I am thinking about converting my old computer into a DAS, with inserting a few additional HDDs and maybe a PCIe USB C card. Is it possible that this could work? If no, could you please suggest me how I should do it?

Thank you!

*hits my desk* Writing a guide on this was on my to do list! Forgot about that.

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/313534-windows7ge/?status=244040&type=status

It's not USB C but if you're serious about a DAS this will work and you can build it for cheap.

50 minutes ago, lolz69 said:

I am thinking about converting my old computer into a DAS, with inserting a few additional HDDs and maybe a PCIe USB C card.

Why? What benefit are you aiming for vs just putting the HDDs in your new computer or converting your old computer to a NAS? Really don't understand the point. 

5 minutes ago, WWicket said:

Why? What benefit are you aiming for vs just putting the HDDs in your new computer or converting your old computer to a NAS? Really don't understand the point. 

Because I have a few 3,5" drives and they do not fit into a laptop...

5 minutes ago, lolz69 said:

Oh, you're on a laptop...if that's the case I'd second WWicket's suggestion. Laptops aren't really built with local expansion in mind they're designed to be portable. Best option here would be NAS.

If you insist on DAS there are USB C docks you can buy and some that hold 4 or 8 drives but the ones that hold more drives are not cheap.

13 minutes ago, lolz69 said:

Should still either get an external enclosure or convert it into a NAS. You could find a USB sata controller and re-use your old case and psu, but it will be unnecessarily clunky and complicated vs just buying an enclosure with minimal savings potential, given how cheap enclosures can be and how hard usb sata controllers are to find on their own. You can probably find a 2x3.5" drive USB C dock for under $50. 

Hey!

Thank you for your support, I will probably then buy one as I can see it would be easier :)

-Lolz