Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guy Marshall

Water as thermal paste

the water would evaporate. and pure water isnt a good conductor only when it gets contaminated with metals. 

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have googled to see if anybody has used water as thermal paste, and of course the search algorithm finds results like "use water to remove thermal paste" etc.

Due to water being a good conductor of heat, surely dropping a few drops of water between the IHS and copper baseplate and having the mounting pressure spread it around would be good? I haven't tried it and I don't want to risk it but I am confused as to why there is no information about this!

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

Posted · Best Answer

the water would evaporate. and pure water isnt a good conductor only when it gets contaminated with metals. 

1 minute ago, Guy Marshall said:

I have googled to see if anybody has used water as thermal paste, and of course the search algorithm finds results like "use water to remove thermal paste" etc.

Due to water being a good conductor of heat, surely dropping a few drops of water between the IHS and copper baseplate and having the mounting pressure spread it around would be good? I haven't tried it and I don't want to risk it but I am confused as to why there is no information about this!

And how exactly do you intend to stop the water from evaporating? Or to keep it on the CPU in the first place without it just spilling on the mobo?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, Genwyn said:

It would evaporate off within a day tops, and water really isnt that great in the aspects of thermal conductivity and especially not the physical characteristics that make thermal compounds good. Water has a very high surface tension and does not like to fill very small gaps unless its under substantial pressure.

But all that is moot when you consider the first point, it would evaporate. Rather quickly at that. Its not going to be boiled away by the CPU but a cpu under load will likely cause it to diminish within minutes.

Ah thank you! I'm just bored and thinking of different ways to cool my CPU lol xD

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

Even if you somehow got that to work, your cpu will be throttling to moon. Water is significantly less thermally conductive than thermal paste.

Just now, WereCatf said:

And how exactly do you intend to stop the water from evaporating? Or to keep it on the CPU in the first place without it just spilling on the mobo?

I was thinking liquid metal (although more viscous) can be applied and used for quite long periods of time without any degredation

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

Just now, Levent said:

Even if you somehow got that to work, your cpu will be throttling to moon. Water is significantly less thermally conductive than thermal paste.

Ah okay! I thought water was pretty good but they must just be better then

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

My System: i7-8700k 5.0ghz All-core delidded @1.365v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II // NZXT S340 White // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // Intel 660P 1TB NVME M.2 SSD/1TB Samsung 860 EVO/1TB 2.5" HGST HDD // Displays: ASUS VG248QE/Acer K242HYL/Acer K242HYL // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard - Logitech G502 // Corsair H70 Gaming Headset

Wife's System: i7-8700 // Arctic Freezer 33 // Gigabyte Z390M Gaming // 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 // Sapphire Vega 64 // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 1TB Samsung 860 EVO/500GB Silicon Power A55/4TB Western Digital HDD // Displays: ASUS VG245H/ASUS VP248Q // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G602 // LG BDRW // NexStar 5.25" USB 3 Enclosure

TV Gamer: Ryzen 5 1600 4.0ghz All-core @1.425v // Wraith PRISM // Gigabyte B450 Aorus M // 16GB GeIL DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB XXX Edition // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Corsair Vengeance Silver 650W // 120GB Sandisk SSD/120GB PNY CS900/4TB Western Digital Blue // Display: 50" Westinghouse 1080p // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers

Son's System: i5-9400 // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDr4 3200 // ASUS RX 570 4GB OC // NZXT S340 Black // Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze // 525GB Crucial MX300/500GB Wester Digital Blue // Display: Dell P2417H - Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

Daughter's System: i3-8350k // Cooler Master i71c // MSI H310M Pro VDH-Plus // 16GB T-Force Vulkan 2666 (2400) // Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Mini // DarkFlash Micro ATX White // Corsair CX550 // 480GB PNY CS1311 SSD // Display: Scepter 20" 1080p - Logitech Keyboard and Mouse

1 minute ago, Plutosaurus said:

I love yours tbh ahaha

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

14 minutes ago, Guy Marshall said:

I was thinking liquid metal (although more viscous) can be applied and used for quite long periods of time without any degredation

because it's metal. Liquid metal thermal paste is a gallium mixture, and gallium is liquid at room temperature.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, group reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

because it's metal. Liquid metal thermal paste is a gallium mixture, and gallium is liquid at room temperature.

True you're making nothing but good points!

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

29 minutes ago, Guy Marshall said:

Ah okay! I thought water was pretty good but they must just be better then

Water is actually not very heat conductive, using it to dissipate heat on a CPU isn't the best idea for several reasons, the main one being water is a very thin and fluid liquid and more than likely will be completely squished out the sides from the pressure of the cooler being mounted to the CPU and into the socket(dead motherboard) if it hasn't just naturally flowed off already, thermal paste and liquid metal are both much thicker than water and aren't as fluid or as runny as water they're more like a gel or as the name suggests paste and more or less just spread out when pressure is applied, liquid metal being exactly what the name suggests liquid metal isn't as thick as thermal paste but is still more controllable than water. Water isn't actually that heat conductive, like others have said water with a high concentration is more thermally conductive than just pure water, the heat from a CPU would just evaporate the small amount of water that may or may not be left on the IHS therefore you'd have no thermal compound at all. It's all in all just a bad idea. The risk for the system components is too high and if you were to even get it to slightly work it wont work for more than a few seconds and not well at all, you'd more than likely see the same temps as if you had nothing on it at all.

Main Desktop: Cpu - I9-9900k @5ghz | Mobo - Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E | Gpu - Asus ROG STRIX 2080ti OC Ram - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200mhz | Aio - H100i Pro RGB | Psu - Evga 850 GQ | Case - Fractal Design Meshify C White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 1x 1TB 1x 512GB / 1x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 4TB HDD |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10+ - Ceramic White 512GB |

If you ask for a Mid Tower case recommend, I will 90% of the time recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C or S2.

You are better off with using engineering fluids.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2Ghz          Case: Antec P8     PSU: G.Storm GS850                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition @ 2Ghz

Water may conduct heat relatively poorly, but that isn't a big deal. It certainly doesn't stop water from being used in almost all high-end cooling systems, whether air coolers or liquid coolers.

Thermal paste doesn't have great thermal conductivity either, but it doesn't matter - what matters is getting something better than air, which is an absolutely terrible thermal conductor.

By the way, the thermal conductivity of water isn't affected much by the presence of salts. That just greatly increases its electrical conductivity, as charged ions are what transfer electricity through water. Pure water only has a concentration of charged ions of about 2*10-7M, which can be increased greatly by dissolved salts - or by dissolution of atmospheric carbon dioxide.