Water as thermal paste

Go to solution Solved by spartaman64,

the water would evaporate. and pure water isnt a good conductor only when it gets contaminated with metals. 

I have googled to see if anybody has used water as thermal paste, and of course the search algorithm finds results like "use water to remove thermal paste" etc.

Due to water being a good conductor of heat, surely dropping a few drops of water between the IHS and copper baseplate and having the mounting pressure spread it around would be good? I haven't tried it and I don't want to risk it but I am confused as to why there is no information about this!

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

the water would evaporate. and pure water isnt a good conductor only when it gets contaminated with metals. 

1 minute ago, Guy Marshall said:

I have googled to see if anybody has used water as thermal paste, and of course the search algorithm finds results like "use water to remove thermal paste" etc.

Due to water being a good conductor of heat, surely dropping a few drops of water between the IHS and copper baseplate and having the mounting pressure spread it around would be good? I haven't tried it and I don't want to risk it but I am confused as to why there is no information about this!

And how exactly do you intend to stop the water from evaporating? Or to keep it on the CPU in the first place without it just spilling on the mobo?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, Genwyn said:

It would evaporate off within a day tops, and water really isnt that great in the aspects of thermal conductivity and especially not the physical characteristics that make thermal compounds good. Water has a very high surface tension and does not like to fill very small gaps unless its under substantial pressure.

But all that is moot when you consider the first point, it would evaporate. Rather quickly at that. Its not going to be boiled away by the CPU but a cpu under load will likely cause it to diminish within minutes.

Ah thank you! I'm just bored and thinking of different ways to cool my CPU lol xD

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

Even if you somehow got that to work, your cpu will be throttling to moon. Water is significantly less thermally conductive than thermal paste.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, WereCatf said:

And how exactly do you intend to stop the water from evaporating? Or to keep it on the CPU in the first place without it just spilling on the mobo?

I was thinking liquid metal (although more viscous) can be applied and used for quite long periods of time without any degredation

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

Just now, Levent said:

Even if you somehow got that to work, your cpu will be throttling to moon. Water is significantly less thermally conductive than thermal paste.

Ah okay! I thought water was pretty good but they must just be better then

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Plutosaurus said:

I love yours tbh ahaha

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

14 minutes ago, Guy Marshall said:

I was thinking liquid metal (although more viscous) can be applied and used for quite long periods of time without any degredation

because it's metal. Liquid metal thermal paste is a gallium mixture, and gallium is liquid at room temperature.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

because it's metal. Liquid metal thermal paste is a gallium mixture, and gallium is liquid at room temperature.

True you're making nothing but good points!

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

29 minutes ago, Guy Marshall said:

Ah okay! I thought water was pretty good but they must just be better then

Water is actually not very heat conductive, using it to dissipate heat on a CPU isn't the best idea for several reasons, the main one being water is a very thin and fluid liquid and more than likely will be completely squished out the sides from the pressure of the cooler being mounted to the CPU and into the socket(dead motherboard) if it hasn't just naturally flowed off already, thermal paste and liquid metal are both much thicker than water and aren't as fluid or as runny as water they're more like a gel or as the name suggests paste and more or less just spread out when pressure is applied, liquid metal being exactly what the name suggests liquid metal isn't as thick as thermal paste but is still more controllable than water. Water isn't actually that heat conductive, like others have said water with a high concentration is more thermally conductive than just pure water, the heat from a CPU would just evaporate the small amount of water that may or may not be left on the IHS therefore you'd have no thermal compound at all. It's all in all just a bad idea. The risk for the system components is too high and if you were to even get it to slightly work it wont work for more than a few seconds and not well at all, you'd more than likely see the same temps as if you had nothing on it at all.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

You are better off with using engineering fluids.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Water may conduct heat relatively poorly, but that isn't a big deal. It certainly doesn't stop water from being used in almost all high-end cooling systems, whether air coolers or liquid coolers.

Thermal paste doesn't have great thermal conductivity either, but it doesn't matter - what matters is getting something better than air, which is an absolutely terrible thermal conductor.

By the way, the thermal conductivity of water isn't affected much by the presence of salts. That just greatly increases its electrical conductivity, as charged ions are what transfer electricity through water. Pure water only has a concentration of charged ions of about 2*10-7M, which can be increased greatly by dissolved salts - or by dissolution of atmospheric carbon dioxide.