Issues installing linux

Lowbuget

So over the summer i got this really crappy laptop that barely works on windows 10 and not only that windows leave almost no spece left on c drive (less than 2 gigs left on it),so my freind and me tried to install linux mint on it but it never showed up on my sd card when i tried to boot from it so i was wondering does this laptop not capible to boot from a sd card,and if so do i have to get a usb stick then?

my laptop

HP Stream 14 cb0XX

(P.s im going to give this laptop to my freind cus his laptop is even worse and it would be a upgrade to him,so i want a os that would have some storage left on it : /) 

EDIT:sorry about my grammer,its not the best right now

Specs are a celeron n3060 

4 gigs ram

32 gigs storage 

Creating bootable thumb drives is a lot more popular than bootable SD cards for OS installs. Not sure why you went that route. In theory if you're using a SD to USB adapter it should behave the same but that would depend on the adapters controller.

Did you make sure the laptop was set to boot to USB? Did you try using the boot override menu?

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Creating bootable thumb drives is a lot more popular than bootable SD cards for OS installs. Not sure why you went that route

the resan why i went that way is cus im too broke(Hopefully not soon)

Did you make sure the laptop was set to boot to USB?

Yeah im 99.99% sure,if i am wrong i will re-try but ima have to wait to get home to ask him on discord

Did you try using the boot override menu?

im not sure if i did that or if i have that setting

3 minutes ago, Lowbuget said:

the resan why i went that way is cus im too broke(Hopefully not soon)

Well the good news is the cheapest of 8GB's are $5~$10. There's some things we can try if that's too much.

5 minutes ago, Lowbuget said:

Yeah im 99.99% sure,if i am wrong i will re-try but ima have to wait to get home to ask him on discord

Did you try using the boot override menu?

im not sure for that

Try that and see what it does. What did you use to create the boot-SD card? For the age of the hardware you may have trouble running Mint. You may also like to try Lubuntu, SparkyLinux, or CrunchBang++.

Well the good news is the cheapest of 8GB's are $5~$10. There's some things we can try if that's too much.

Try that and see what it does. What did you use to create the boot-SD card? For the age of the hardware you may have trouble running Mint. You may also like to try Lubuntu, SparkyLinux, or CrunchBang++.

uhh its been 3 months and i have bad memory,but i believe i used Rufus to do it...will update you in about 2 hours cus i only go to school for 3 hours a day so

Have never heard of a bootable SD card. They don't have a fancy controller for the storage on the card itself, so I don't think it's an option...

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Have never heard of a bootable SD card. They don't have a fancy controller for the storage on the card itself, so I don't think it's an option...

Welp we will have to see then 

Besides the rpi I have never seen booting from an SD card, feels very unlikely that it would work but did you check the BIOS for it? If it comes up in the boot order then it might

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, rcmaehl said:

Have never heard of a bootable SD card. They don't have a controller for the flash storage, so I don't think it's an option...

I haven't tried it myself but if it's connected to a USB storage controller or a slot on a laptop with a USB storage controller then theoretically it's doable.

Raspberry Pi's do it. Not as install media but as a bootable drive.

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Besides the rpi I have never seen booting from an SD card, feels very unlikely that it would work but did you check the BIOS for it? If it comes up in the boot order then it might

like i said to others i don't have very good memory from  school  so i would have to talk to my friend(Who rembers everything)on discord in about 2 hours

Some laptop don't let you to boot from SD-card, like my HP DV6.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

12 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

12 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I've had Linux based recovery tool on SD card. So booting is possible, but slow af. And this was with desktop, so full control over BIOS.

@Lowbuget

Can you access laptops boot options or BIOS? If you can't boot from SD card would mean that you probably can't from USB either.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Can you access laptops boot options or BIOS? If you can't boot from SD card would mean that you probably can't from USB either.

i will check right now, just to make sure on my answer 

11 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

I've had Linux based recovery tool on SD card. So booting is possible, but slow af. And this was with desktop, so full control over BIOS.

@Lowbuget

2 hours ago, Lowbuget said:

i will check right now, just to make sure on my answer 

Yeah i can get into the boot order (and os manager  if that helps) and would i be able to install linux from the sd card if it boots from it right?

3 minutes ago, Lowbuget said:

Yeah i can get into the boot order (and os manager  if that helps) and would i be able to install linux from the sd card if it boots from it right?

If you see the card in boot options, for sure. But even if you have generic external drive it should work. Meaning that something has went wrong with mounting process.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

If you see the card in boot options, for sure. But even if you have generic external drive it should work. Meaning that something has went wrong with mounting process.

should i use Rufus again and retry,or some other program then?

8 minutes ago, Lowbuget said:

should i use Rufus again and retry,or some other program then?

Rufus is good, could be the image also. Just redo it from scratch.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Rufus is good, could be the image also. Just redo it from scratch.

ok will do right now and i will do the rest when i get home

12 minutes ago, Lowbuget said:

cant even install linux becuse my c drive is so full from windows updates @LogicalDrm

Have you tried deleting things? Windows needs about 60gb of space if you don't configure it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Have you tried deleting things? Windows needs about 60gb of space if you don't configure it.

Yeah,its to the point where i only have google chrome and edge installed

1 minute ago, Lowbuget said:

Yeah,its to the point where i only have google chrome and edge installed

You need about 1gb of free space to download tools for creating bootable drive.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

You need about 1gb of free space to download tools for creating bootable drive.

yeah,i tried downloading the linux i wanted but  my drive filled up to the point where there was 0 bytes left on my c drive.