Looking for recommendations on parts for new PC

Blake_Murdock

Hello,

I am currently looking to put together a new PC, but like most of us trying to find the best bang for my buck so to speak. 

I do plan on taking a few items from my current setup and moving them onto the new system.  So I won't need to build a complete new system, although it really is only one or two items. 

I am however, thinking of building a new PC around a Intel Core i7-9700k 3.6Ghz 8-Core Processor, so what I am looking for is recommendations on what other parts to get, to go along with that CPU,

The parts I will be using from my current setup, will most likely be my video card and at least one hard drive.  My power supply from my current build is a corsair 750w, I might use it, but I might not incase I ever want to use my current setup for something else down the road, hence why I am looking for recommendations on a power supply as well.

Here is a list of parts I am looking for

Motherboard - 

Ram - 

SSD/M.2 - 

Case - 

Power Supply - 

I currently live in British Columbia, Canada, so access to computer parts is not an issue and well with that if it's priced in USD or Canadian that would be great.

I would like to possibly stay around the $1200 to $1500 range, but I am not limited to that.  As I could always get newer parts later on.  As I will be upgrading my current video card down the line at some point, just not right now as I know my current system setup, is not using it to its best potential.

If it matters any, my last three system's that I have built myself have been on Asus motherboards and I have never ran into any issues.  So I would like to continue that route, but it doesn't really matter to much.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Blake

I'm gonna start by saying if you're going to build a PC today, please don't base it off a 9700K unless you already have one (it sounds like you don't). Also it would be helpful to know what specific Corsair 750w you have, as it's very possible it is a very low quality one that you should get rid of ASAP.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

5 minutes ago, Blake_Murdock said:

I would like to possibly stay around the $1200 to $1500 range

what a coincidence, just made a list in this price range.

5 minutes ago, Blake_Murdock said:

I am however, thinking of building a new PC around a Intel Core i7-9700k

for your suggested price range you'll have to make compromises to accommodate a CPU that expensive.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

for your suggested price range you'll have to make compromises to accommodate a CPU that expensive.

Also make sure to Flash the MSI BIOS so it can work with 3xxx chip.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

I would go with @Fasauceome build. Its a very nice and balanced build that can handle games at 1080p/1440p with no issues. Building system around 9700k is a bad idea because its a terrible value for money CPU with no upgrade path.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

do yourself a favour and at that price point stick with a ryzen 7 3700x. much better value.as for board, take your pick of x570 boards, they are all great. just pick the one that suits your needs best. get the cheapest ram that will do 3600mhz, cheapest decent pcie ssd, and a evga 650w g3

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

1 minute ago, astranger200 said:

do yourself a favour and at that price point stick with a ryzen 7 3700x. much better value.as for board, take your pick of x570 boards, they are all great. just pick the one that suits your needs best. get the cheapest ram that will do 3600mhz, cheapest decent pcie ssd, and a evga 650w g3

for $1500 canadian, a 3700X with an X570 board and 3600MHz ram is a bit pricey, and also all the other G series units are better than the G3 so it would be a bad choice.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, zlolslavez said:

I'm gonna start by saying if you're going to build a PC today, please don't base it off a 9700K unless you already have one (it sounds like you don't). Also it would be helpful to know what specific Corsair 750w you have, as it's very possible it is a very low quality one that you should get rid of ASAP.

Could you explain why I shouldn't base a PC off the 9700K ? 

2 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Thank's for the suggestion!

I did however mention in my post that I am not really limited to the price range I put in, I would like to try to stay around that of course! But if I have to go over, it's not that big of a deal.

It will be a computer that I will probably game on for the next couple of years...which is what I have done in the past.  So if I have to spend extra, to make the system last longer. I will.

However, thanks to your suggestion on builds, I did go and order the Intel 660p already, so there is that.  Was kinda shocked at the price and well one place even price matched and beat the listed price here. 

So I am currently now just waiting for approval and it to be delivered of course. :)  But hey, its a start!