What's Best Buy's "diagnostic" Tool?

Redrooster
Go to solution Solved by Touch My Hamm,

As someone who worked for GeekSquad I can shine some light on any questions people have about Geek Squad practices and such. I will not give information out about specific partners since I no longer am employed with them and cannot confirm or deny who they all partner with. 

The Diagnostic tool they use is a custom piece of software built on what I assume is a basic Linux disto/windows boot disc. When booted into this custom OS from either the Network/USB/CD (depending on the computer in questions capabilities or what is wrong with it) it will boot into this OS. From there it allows the agents to use many tools and software for troubleshooting. When I was there it had software for full hardware testing and multiple antivirus/antimalware tests. The antivirus/malware had multiple companies as it wanted to grab as much info as possible. You can run a complete scan allowing agents to plug in multiple machines in this virtual environment and it will send the logs to a central location where the techs can then look at this information. 

Once they have more information they are decide what to do after. The reason for the diagnostic price is for multiple reasons. 

1. GeekSquad is there to make money when you bring a car to a shop they can charge you to look at it the same way regardless if there is something wrong or not. You are in theory paying someone who is trained to look at you pc.

2. It stops everyone from rushing GeekSquad and people pushing "quick fixes" where something that can be fixed in 5min (hijacked webbrowsers I never charged for) this leads to people wanting more and more for free. So this allows them to put a wall up for that.

Note that not every GeekSquad has the same people so I can only communicate my experience and while I was there I tried to bring a professional and easy fix to all clients since GeekSquad doesn't always get the best reputation.

There's something screwy with my current build and I'm sending up a free appointment to see if it's something that could easily be fixed (like maybe something just flew over my head when I was building it)

But another step is paying $99 for a diagnostics report from Best buy using some sort of diagnostic tool. ($150 and it comes with a repair)

I was just wondering if anyone on the forum was a former or is a current Best buy employee that knows what this diagnostic tool is?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC RAM: 32GB 3200mHz Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Display: Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" (2560p x 1440p) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK STORAGE: 120GB SSD boot drive, 10tb USB 3.0 Seagate game drive PSU: 650w Corsair CX CASE: NZXT H500i

This is the first time I hear about a diagnostic tool for a computer O_o.

There are like "diagnosing" tools to check for drivers and defragmentation and junk files but, that's either snake oil, or something that windows can do for you or not necessary to mess with.

Also, after reading the thread about your PC issues, did you update the BIOS?

You can check the current version in the BIOS itself and you can find the latest one on the website of the manufacturer of your motherboard.

What board do you have?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

7 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

The diagnostic tool is an underpaid guy at a desk going through a mile long checklist to figure out whats wrong.

Don't forget the fact that they probably have a bootable USB that checks out all the super basics. Used to have one of their old DVDs and it was little more than memtest and a virus scan if memory serves.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

21 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

This is the first time I hear about a diagnostic tool for a computer O_o.

There are like "diagnosing" tools to check for drivers and defragmentation and junk files but, that's either snake oil, or something that windows can do for you or not necessary to mess with.

Also, after reading the thread about your PC issues, did you update the BIOS?

You can check the current version in the BIOS itself and you can find the latest one on the website of the manufacturer of your motherboard.

What board do you have?

I got the b450 tomahawk

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC RAM: 32GB 3200mHz Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Display: Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" (2560p x 1440p) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK STORAGE: 120GB SSD boot drive, 10tb USB 3.0 Seagate game drive PSU: 650w Corsair CX CASE: NZXT H500i

As someone who worked for GeekSquad I can shine some light on any questions people have about Geek Squad practices and such. I will not give information out about specific partners since I no longer am employed with them and cannot confirm or deny who they all partner with. 

The Diagnostic tool they use is a custom piece of software built on what I assume is a basic Linux disto/windows boot disc. When booted into this custom OS from either the Network/USB/CD (depending on the computer in questions capabilities or what is wrong with it) it will boot into this OS. From there it allows the agents to use many tools and software for troubleshooting. When I was there it had software for full hardware testing and multiple antivirus/antimalware tests. The antivirus/malware had multiple companies as it wanted to grab as much info as possible. You can run a complete scan allowing agents to plug in multiple machines in this virtual environment and it will send the logs to a central location where the techs can then look at this information. 

Once they have more information they are decide what to do after. The reason for the diagnostic price is for multiple reasons. 

1. GeekSquad is there to make money when you bring a car to a shop they can charge you to look at it the same way regardless if there is something wrong or not. You are in theory paying someone who is trained to look at you pc.

2. It stops everyone from rushing GeekSquad and people pushing "quick fixes" where something that can be fixed in 5min (hijacked webbrowsers I never charged for) this leads to people wanting more and more for free. So this allows them to put a wall up for that.

Note that not every GeekSquad has the same people so I can only communicate my experience and while I was there I tried to bring a professional and easy fix to all clients since GeekSquad doesn't always get the best reputation.

7 minutes ago, Redrooster said:

I got the b450 tomahawk

Latest version is from last week so unless you updated it yourself you don't have the latest version.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK

If you don't know how to update the bios, they have a video!

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Latest version is from last week so unless you updated it yourself you don't have the latest version.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK

If you don't know how to update the bios, they have a video!

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot!

its just a boot disk that loads into a live environment with tools preinstalled.

the following are all options that do the same exact thing(and do it better):

MediCat

Hirens PE

FalconFour

SystemRescueCD

Ultimate Boot CD

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

31 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

its just a boot disk that loads into a live environment with tools preinstalled.

the following are all options that do the same exact thing(and do it better):

MediCat

Hirens PE

FalconFour

SystemRescueCD

Ultimate Boot CD

I'll do some research on it, I was at the point where I had nearly given up. I'll give it a shot

33 minutes ago, Redrooster said:

I'll do some research on it, I was at the point where I had nearly given up. I'll give it a shot

what is "screwy" with your build?  we may be able to give you a starting point

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

6 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

what is "screwy" with your build?  we may be able to give you a starting point

If you look in my post history I have a post called "Boot Troubles" that kind of archived my problems with this build.