Windows issues while swapping my Hard drive between computers

Hi Everyone

I have a problem and i can't decide if its from Windows or my Hard drive.

First of all i had this issue two weeks ago when i had my hard drive in my laptop and took it out to use it as external drive in my tower, everything was working fine, but when i got it back to the laptop windows wont boot.

i did try a lot of solutions but ended up backing up everything and reinstalling Windows.

Now when i installed windows i made two partitions, one for windows and one for free space so i can store all my games and downloads, the installation went fine and windows booted up, configured all the necessary drivers and installed some games.

two days later i took the Hard drive from the laptop and connected to my tower again (Externally) to play some games. when i wanted to use the laptop again i took the hard drive and put it in it, I got back to the same issue, windows wont boot in addition to getting stuck in a loop where windows would try to prepare automatic repair (and failing of course).

now for my question, could this be a hard drive security issue in windows?  or could it be something else?

If there is a solution and a possible way to use my hard drive in a laptop and a tower, please do reply to this post.

P.S. I'm currently able to use the hard drive in my tower ONLY!

Don't use your boot drive as a secondary storage drive, Windows does not like being tampered with in the slightest, and such is a form of tampering even though it may seem like it. If you're going to have a game drive, it must not also serve as a boot drive. You can transfer it as a boot drive, but even then it is not wise to swap between AMD and Intel platforms. 

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8Ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 33 Tower Cooler | MSI B450 Tomahawk |  32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz CAS 14 

Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse | EVGA 650w GQ 80+ Gold Semi-Modular  |  XPG SX6000 512GB Nvme SSD | NZXT H500

Acer XF270HU - 1440p 144Hz Freeesync IPS | Corsair Strafe - Cherry MX Red  |  Logitech G502

On 9/16/2019 at 11:41 PM, leo1798 said:

Don't use your boot drive as a secondary storage drive, Windows does not like being tampered with in the slightest, and such is a form of tampering even though it may seem like it. If you're going to have a game drive, it must not also serve as a boot drive. You can transfer it as a boot drive, but even then it is not wise to swap between AMD and Intel platforms. 

First of all, Thank you for replying.

there is no way to work around that so i can still use my hard drive in a laptop and as a storage device on a tower?

15 hours ago, Saherrocket said:

First of all, Thank you for replying.

there is no way to work around that so i can still use my hard drive in a laptop and as a storage device on a tower?

Not that I'm aware of, boot drives like to stay as boot drives. Sorry for the late reply

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8Ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 33 Tower Cooler | MSI B450 Tomahawk |  32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz CAS 14 

Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse | EVGA 650w GQ 80+ Gold Semi-Modular  |  XPG SX6000 512GB Nvme SSD | NZXT H500

Acer XF270HU - 1440p 144Hz Freeesync IPS | Corsair Strafe - Cherry MX Red  |  Logitech G502

On 9/21/2019 at 7:52 AM, leo1798 said:

Not that I'm aware of, boot drives like to stay as boot drives. Sorry for the late reply

Would permissions be a valid solution because if i tell windows on my tower to not write data on it or even read it, basically i don't let windows touch the windows and system reserved partition.

I'm currently experimenting on this issue and try to have some answers, maybe its doable, i like to be optimistic about this and try it out.

but first i have to get my windows out of a "Automatic repair" Loop that has been stuck now for over 4 days.

Wish me luck and maybe i'll update this post if i find a solution!

Update 1.0:

I reinstalled windows (on my laptop) on my hard drive and made a separate partition (64GB) for it and the rest of the space (900GB More or less) is for storage to use for everything. 

i updated and installed all the recent updates and some applications (i made a restore point if anything goes south).

when i finished everything, i plugged my hard drive (the same one i used in my laptop) externally to my tower and made adjustments to the permissions for the windows and the system reserved partition from my tower to "Read and execute" only (which includes "List Folder Contents" and "Read").

I made sure that everything was good before going forward and tested it on the laptop, it worked!.

i tried to game from the hard drive on my tower and do what ever i want to the partition that i made especially for this situation.

i'm currently still testing it out with file transfers and installing applications to see if it bricks my windows or not.

conclusion: i'm really happy about using my hard drive in my laptop on the go and plugging it in my tower for some game time when i get back home especially when i travel from city to city.

I'll keep testing this out until i hit a stump but for now everything is going great!     

Update 1.1:

Transferring Files: Check (Sometimes the files don't appear first but a quick restart will do the trick, If that doesn't work, scan the partition for errors and repair it if it tells you and that should do the trick also)

Installing Applications: Check

Installing Games: Check

Testing so far has been smooth and i'm thinking of what could make it malfunction again to try and fix that issue so i don't run into any hiccups along the way.

i did not run into any issues so far but i think its a matter of time before my windows partition breaks and i'd have to restore it again.

Till then, we are all good to go!