Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LeonMogarius

Buy a eGPU or a full Rig? (Macbook Pro)

20 hours ago, LeonMogarius said:

Damn,totally forgot to tell you.. 

i play games on Windows.. so naturally, Bootcamp.. 

Egpu is the best

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello there! Thanks for taking your time reading this

So, I'm going to Malaysia (I'm Indonesian) for higher studies. 

 

I've recently bought a Macbook Pro 2018 13"

The reason I bought the Macbook is that I love to play music. I use Mainstage 3 and also Logic Pro. They're just my hobbies.

Been playing games since the last time I could remember, and in Indonesia, I play on my PC. 

Since I won't be bringing my PC to Malaysia

 

I was thinking of buying a new PC there. Although I think it'll take me some time since it's pricey (I can't really work with super cheap PC. HAHA)

Since buying a new PC would be expensive. I thought of buying eGPU for my Macbook Pro along with some peripherals and maybe a monitor to play in my dorm (and, thing i hate most about macbook, I also have to buy new drives for it)

 

What do you guys think? Should I buy eGPU, drives, monitor, peripherals to play on my Macbook Pro

OR, save some money and wait till I can buy a full PC. 

Which is worth it?

Anyway, I don't think I'll be able to bring my PC (if i decide to buy one) back to Indonesia. Not sure though about the rules with airlines. 

 

Thanks! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does a macbook support an eGPU? 

 

Edit: Yeah it seems they do.

Although I would save up and build a gaming computer because gaming on a Mac isn't the best experience. 

 

 


Photographer, psychology student, hopeful computer teacher.

i5-6600k and Vega 56 with too many storage drives to count. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeonMogarius said:

Hello there! Thanks for taking your time reading this

So, I'm going to Malaysia (I'm Indonesian) for higher studies. 

 

I've recently bought a Macbook Pro 2018 13"

The reason I bought the Macbook is that I love to play music. I use Mainstage 3 and also Logic Pro. They're just my hobbies.

Been playing games since the last time I could remember, and in Indonesia, I play on my PC. 

Since I won't be bringing my PC to Malaysia

 

I was thinking of buying a new PC there. Although I think it'll take me some time since it's pricey (I can't really work with super cheap PC. HAHA)

Since buying a new PC would be expensive. I thought of buying eGPU for my Macbook Pro along with some peripherals and maybe a monitor to play in my dorm (and, thing i hate most about macbook, I also have to buy new drives for it)

 

What do you guys think? Should I buy eGPU, drives, monitor, peripherals to play on my Macbook Pro

OR, save some money and wait till I can buy a full PC. 

Which is worth it?

Anyway, I don't think I'll be able to bring my PC (if i decide to buy one) back to Indonesia. Not sure though about the rules with airlines. 

 

Thanks! 

Hmmm. Bro , which game are you gonna play? And how much can you pay for a PC for gaming.

Anyways I think using a egpu is a bad idea cause most of the games for Mac are not gpu heavy

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SeAsOn3 said:

Hmmm. Bro , which game are you gonna play? And how much can you pay for a PC for gaming.

Anyways I think using a egpu is a bad idea cause most of the games for Mac are not gpu heavy

What? games are games, regardless of the platform

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeonMogarius said:

Hello there! Thanks for taking your time reading this

So, I'm going to Malaysia (I'm Indonesian) for higher studies. 

 

I've recently bought a Macbook Pro 2018 13"

The reason I bought the Macbook is that I love to play music. I use Mainstage 3 and also Logic Pro. They're just my hobbies.

Been playing games since the last time I could remember, and in Indonesia, I play on my PC. 

Since I won't be bringing my PC to Malaysia

 

I was thinking of buying a new PC there. Although I think it'll take me some time since it's pricey (I can't really work with super cheap PC. HAHA)

Since buying a new PC would be expensive. I thought of buying eGPU for my Macbook Pro along with some peripherals and maybe a monitor to play in my dorm (and, thing i hate most about macbook, I also have to buy new drives for it)

 

What do you guys think? Should I buy eGPU, drives, monitor, peripherals to play on my Macbook Pro

OR, save some money and wait till I can buy a full PC. 

Which is worth it?

Anyway, I don't think I'll be able to bring my PC (if i decide to buy one) back to Indonesia. Not sure though about the rules with airlines. 

 

Thanks! 

it might be a good idea in this case, since in the future you might be able to put that gpu in the new system when you'll be able to afford a new rig

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

What? games are games, regardless of the platform

^^^ Rise of the Tomb Raider has a macOS and Linux version, that game is GPU intensive as all heck. Also I'm pretty sure you can get the eGPU working in Windows 10 under BootCamp. 

OP, I'd go the eGPU route. Still more compact than a full PC, and:

2 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

it might be a good idea in this case, since in the future you might be able to put that gpu in the new system when you'll be able to afford a new rig

^ this is a good point. 


X58 Madlads: X58 Xeon/i7 discussion     X99 bois: X99 Xeon/i7 discussion

 

Current Rig: 

Spoiler

 5960X on a Heatkiller IV Pro Acetal
EVGA X99 Classified
32GB (4x8) 3200Mhz CL16 HyperX Predator DDR4
Radeon VII on an EK Acetal block and black EK backplate 
250GB 960 Evo, 1TB 970 Evo
Corsair RM1000i

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG, Grey
EK D5 pump/res combo, EK-ZMT tubing, EK stubby barb fittings, 360 and 120mm GTS stealth rads, 4x Noctua iPPC NF-F12s

Folding Rig:

Spoiler

E5-4610 v3 on a Noctua NH-L12S 
EVGA X99 Micro2
16GB (4x4) EVGA SuperSC 2800Mhz DDR4
EVGA 1660 Ti XC Ultra

120GB TCSunbow SSD
Corsair CX550
Fractal Design Define S

Current project-ey plans:

Spoiler

OCing/tinkering rig:

Xeon X5670 - Cryorig H5 Universal

EVGA X58 Classified SLI 4-Way
24GB (3x8) HyperX Fury DDR3 in Red - 1600Mhz CL9/OCed to ~2100Mhz CL10
EVGA 1050 Ti FTW

120GB ADATA SU800
EVGA 1000W G3
Corsair Air 540

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Epimetheus said:

What? games are games, regardless of the platform

MacBook games are not gpu heavy and my brother's Mac book has a rx 560x which he uses to play fortnite and tomb raider

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2019 at 12:06 PM, LeonMogarius said:

Hello there! Thanks for taking your time reading this

So, I'm going to Malaysia (I'm Indonesian) for higher studies. 

 

I've recently bought a Macbook Pro 2018 13"

The reason I bought the Macbook is that I love to play music. I use Mainstage 3 and also Logic Pro. They're just my hobbies.

Been playing games since the last time I could remember, and in Indonesia, I play on my PC. 

Since I won't be bringing my PC to Malaysia

 

I was thinking of buying a new PC there. Although I think it'll take me some time since it's pricey (I can't really work with super cheap PC. HAHA)

Since buying a new PC would be expensive. I thought of buying eGPU for my Macbook Pro along with some peripherals and maybe a monitor to play in my dorm (and, thing i hate most about macbook, I also have to buy new drives for it)

 

What do you guys think? Should I buy eGPU, drives, monitor, peripherals to play on my Macbook Pro

OR, save some money and wait till I can buy a full PC. 

Which is worth it?

Anyway, I don't think I'll be able to bring my PC (if i decide to buy one) back to Indonesia. Not sure though about the rules with airlines. 

 

Thanks! 

Get a PC. Windows is not at its best when using a mac. I've tried around 2012 and didn't like the experience. And MANY games are for Windows only, so there you go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 9/17/2019 at 12:14 AM, SeAsOn3 said:

Hmmm. Bro , which game are you gonna play? And how much can you pay for a PC for gaming.

Anyways I think using a egpu is a bad idea cause most of the games for Mac are not gpu heavy

I mostly play Apex Legends now, others like borderlands and what not

im going to bootcamp my macbook

On 9/17/2019 at 12:17 AM, Epimetheus said:

it might be a good idea in this case, since in the future you might be able to put that gpu in the new system when you'll be able to afford a new rig

You are not wrong

On 9/17/2019 at 12:20 AM, Zando Bob said:

^^^ Rise of the Tomb Raider has a macOS and Linux version, that game is GPU intensive as all heck. Also I'm pretty sure you can get the eGPU working in Windows 10 under BootCamp. 

OP, I'd go the eGPU route. Still more compact than a full PC, and:

^ this is a good point. 

Yeah, good point. 

I know it’ll work under bootcamp.

Thing is, i just am not sure if the experience will be far different from a PC

17 hours ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Get a PC. Windows is not at its best when using a mac. I've tried around 2012 and didn't like the experience. And MANY games are for Windows only, so there you go.

I guess so, thank you 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeonMogarius said:

I know it’ll work under bootcamp.

Thing is, i just am not sure if the experience will be far different from a PC

I guess so, thank you 

Windows only doesn't matter if you're in Bootcamp, you're running full Windows. As for being different from a PC, it'll be the same as any Windows thin'n'light with an eGPU once you get Bootcamp up and running (assuming eGPUs work in Bootcamp, I'm pretty sure they do but that's worth a double check before going any further). 


X58 Madlads: X58 Xeon/i7 discussion     X99 bois: X99 Xeon/i7 discussion

 

Current Rig: 

Spoiler

 5960X on a Heatkiller IV Pro Acetal
EVGA X99 Classified
32GB (4x8) 3200Mhz CL16 HyperX Predator DDR4
Radeon VII on an EK Acetal block and black EK backplate 
250GB 960 Evo, 1TB 970 Evo
Corsair RM1000i

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG, Grey
EK D5 pump/res combo, EK-ZMT tubing, EK stubby barb fittings, 360 and 120mm GTS stealth rads, 4x Noctua iPPC NF-F12s

Folding Rig:

Spoiler

E5-4610 v3 on a Noctua NH-L12S 
EVGA X99 Micro2
16GB (4x4) EVGA SuperSC 2800Mhz DDR4
EVGA 1660 Ti XC Ultra

120GB TCSunbow SSD
Corsair CX550
Fractal Design Define S

Current project-ey plans:

Spoiler

OCing/tinkering rig:

Xeon X5670 - Cryorig H5 Universal

EVGA X58 Classified SLI 4-Way
24GB (3x8) HyperX Fury DDR3 in Red - 1600Mhz CL9/OCed to ~2100Mhz CL10
EVGA 1050 Ti FTW

120GB ADATA SU800
EVGA 1000W G3
Corsair Air 540

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×