Running Windows 10 on a MacBook

Bruno_A

Hello guys,

I just very recently purchased a MacBook Air 2019, with an Intel Core i5-8210Y, 8GB of RAM, and 128GB SSD. Now, this is, by no means, a cheap machine. I bought my Huawei Matebook 13 with an Intel Core i5 8265U, which is far better, the same amount of RAM, and a replaceable NVMe SSD that's twice the size, and cost quite a bit less than the MacBook. However, the MacBook feels a lot more premium, I actually love the butterfly keyboard. Also, I've used many laptops before, but I have yet to find a laptop with a better trackpad than these force touch trackpads. There is one problem, however, and that is the fact that I've only had this MacBook for 2 days, and I haven't got used to it already. Still, I think Windows is superior in some things, so I would like to try installing Windows 10 on this MacBook. Has anyone tried dual-booting Windows 10 on a MacBook with such a low power CPU? How well does it run?

Many thanks,

Bruno.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

1 minute ago, bruny06 said:

Hello guys,

I just very recently purchased a MacBook Air 2019, with an Intel Core i5-8210Y, 8GB of RAM, and 128GB SSD. Now, this is, by no means, a cheap machine. I bought my Huawei Matebook 13 with an Intel Core i5 8265U, which is far better, the same amount of RAM, and a replaceable NVMe SSD that's twice the size, and cost quite a bit less than the MacBook. However, the MacBook feels a lot more premium, I actually love the butterfly keyboard. Also, I've used many laptops before, but I have yet to find a laptop with a better trackpad than these force touch trackpads. There is one problem, however, and that is the fact that I've only had this MacBook for 2 days, and I haven't got used to it already. Still, I think Windows is superior in some things, so I would like to try installing Windows 10 on this MacBook. Has anyone tried dual-booting Windows 10 on a MacBook with such a low power CPU? How well does it run?

Many thanks,

Bruno.

my friend dual bot in MacBook. and it smooth.

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

If you're going to run Windows return the Air and get a decent laptop. The only reason to get a MacBook is MacOS. The internal quality, design and components are extremely poor so using such an expensive and internally cheap laptop cannot be justified if all you will be doing is windows bootcamp. I'm serious, from the keyboard issues, to the display connector sending 50 Volta to the CPU, to the various random failures due to overloaded components, just not worth the risk

48 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

Hello guys,

Many thanks,

Bruno.

Mac's have the ability to run Windows natively, it's called Bootcamp.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 hours ago, 5x5 said:

If you're going to run Windows return the Air and get a decent laptop. The only reason to get a MacBook is MacOS. The internal quality, design and components are extremely poor so using such an expensive and internally cheap laptop cannot be justified if all you will be doing is windows bootcamp. I'm serious, from the keyboard issues, to the display connector sending 50 Volta to the CPU, to the various random failures due to overloaded components, just not worth the risk

I respect your opinion, and you are absolutely right about the issues with the MacBooks (I watch Louis Rossman). I was well aware of the butterfly keyboard issues, although, Apple offers a 4-year replacement program for these, which makes it more worthwhile, in my opinion. I already have a decent Windows laptop, which is the Huawei Matebook 13, with a Core i5 8265U, 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB NVMe SSD, which is replaceable, unlike the MacBook. Just because there are somewhat common issues with the MacBook, it does not mean that I'll experience every single one of them, and if I happen to, I do have a two-year warranty on it. I do like MacOS, although, there is definitely a learning curve for someone who's always used Windows, which is why I would like try out windows, just to see how well it runs, and maybe use it every now and then. I was not talking about running Windows as my main OS. Even though I wouldn't be running Windows 10 as my main OS, and even though it's an overpriced laptop, the build quality is, by far, the best I've seen, and with the things that I like, such as the keyboard, trackpad and screen, I could, quite happily, do it, as it has features that I appreciate. Anyway, I am not an Apple fanboy, by any means, and I respect your opinion. If anyone were to ask my opinion, I would say the MacBook is not worth it, and to get a decent laptop, which would cost less than the MacBook, and have better specs. This would be a more sensible purchase. However, if the person asking me, can afford it, I would definitely not advise against the MacBook.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans