Advice for 1st time builders

Thready

What new advice would you give first time builders?

I have 2.

1) Don't overspend on your CPU. I talk a lot of people out of i7s and Ryzen 7s for gaming and regular desktop use. 

(Edit: After some discussion below I might change this recommendation)

2) Don't skimp and don't go overboard on a PSU. 

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

4 minutes ago, Thready said:

Don't skimp and don't go overboard

just applies on everything doesn't it

Mine: Expect it to take a whole week, from parts on the table to the system actually usable.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

just applies on everything doesn't it

Mine: Expect it to take a whole week, from parts on the table to the system actually usable.

Lol yeah true about skimping and going overboard. I like your suggestion. I would add to be patient because when we're waiting for systems it can take a while. 

always youtube for exact same parts completed builds - final look/ clearance /capability etc

and always get second best stuff for way cheaper

13 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

always youtube for exact same parts completed builds - final look/ clearance /capability etc

and always get second best stuff for way cheaper

Yes! And sometimes last gen is the best price/performance

Go overkill if you can. No telling what the future will hold, and an R7 or i7 will outlast a same generation R5 or i5.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Go overkill if you can. No telling what the future will hold, and an R7 or i7 will outlast a same generation R5 or i5.

I have to disagree. There's no future proofing technology. 2 years down the road midrange stuff will outperform high end stuff now. 

18 minutes ago, Thready said:

I have to disagree. There's no future proofing technology. 2 years down the road midrange stuff will outperform high end stuff now. 

its pretty tricky here,  say rx570 is perfect for gaming, but people just get the rx580 anyway..

and never build a pc based on I want to play xxx games

don't drop stuff, don't follow the verge

actually read/watch build guides, read your mobo manual, keep all packaging

beware of bottlenecks, and most importantly, screw with confidence

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

2 minutes ago, Gegger said:

don't drop stuff, don't follow the verge

actually read/watch build guides, read your mobo manual, keep all packaging

beware of bottlenecks, and most importantly, screw with confidence

that more than 1 yr ago, let it go mate, (still havent read anything from them since then)

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

that more than 1 yr ago, let it go mate, (still havent read anything from them since then)

that was a joke, ig i shoulda been clearer

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

My advice:

1 - don't forget to put the i/o shield on before motherboard installation 

2 - don't sweat the build process because it's practically LEGO

3 - don't panic when your system doesn't turn on during the first boot. Just go to the back of your case an turn the PSU on

2 minutes ago, drk said:

1 - don't forget to put the i/o shield on before motherboard installation 

i still havent unpack io shield in the sealed pocket

Other things I would like to add:

When connecting cables somewhere, you never should apply much force. If it doesn't connect easily, something is likely facing the wrong way.

Take as much time as you need and if in doubt, research the information or ask for it (this forum is a good place for that). That being said, don't worry too much about making huge mistakes, much of the PC building process will become quite intuitive with time.

Test the build before spending too much time on cable management for example. On rare occasions, some parts can be dead on arrival. Once everything checks out, you can focus on the looks of the system.

Don't hesitate to ask for help in case you are encountering any problems or are unsure of how to proceed. Remember that every experienced PC builder has at one point done his/her first build and probably had to troubleshoot a system at one point or another.

8 hours ago, Thready said:

Don't overspend on your CPU. I talk a lot of people out of i7s and Ryzen 7s for gaming and regular desktop use

Preach. I see far too many people going for baller CPU's when they're just gaming, and won't really ever see the full potential of the chip.

I guess this could be interpreted as 'know your use case'

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

9 hours ago, Thready said:

What new advice would you give first time builders?

I have 2.

1) Don't overspend on your CPU. I talk a lot of people out of i7s and Ryzen 7s for gaming and regular desktop use. 

2) Don't skimp and don't go overboard on a PSU. 

The opposite.

The more you spend on a CPU the longer it will last.

A PSU is one component that can be future proofed if you get one that you think will fill your needs not on your currant build but your next one.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Well it seems like we're divided on whether or not to spend a lot of money on a CPU. I see both sides.

My thinking is this: Most first time builders who I talk to are looking to game and to do basic desktop stuff, maybe some photo editing here and there.

Paying that much more for a CPU is not going to make it last years longer than the cheaper version in my experience and opinion. Maybe I'm wrong. Future proofing rarely works with technology.

Take for example a 6600k which I have, and a 6700k. I don't think the extra $150 for a 6700k makes it any more valuable 3 years down the line and I don't think its extra cost is helping it keep up with Ryzen. If I had a 6700k then I would still be looking to upgrade.

I mean, I see the logic but I have a hard time agreeing with it. 

14 hours ago, Thready said:

2 years down the road midrange stuff will outperform high end stuff now. 

And?

2 years from now, low end stuff may outperform current mid end stuff.

But the thing is, current mid end stuff will last 2 years longer and it's cheaper (and easier) to buy one CPU and mainboard that'll last half a decade than it is to buy new every 2 years.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

7 hours ago, drk said:

3 - don't panic when your system doesn't turn on during the first boot. Just go to the back of your case an turn the PSU on

I bet even De8auer still does this.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

34 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

And?

2 years from now, low end stuff may outperform current mid end stuff.

But the thing is, current mid end stuff will last 2 years longer and it's cheaper (and easier) to buy one CPU and mainboard that'll last half a decade than it is to buy new every 2 years.

I think it heavily depends on what component and what your intended use will be. I would never suggest a 5 year old cpu for anything other than average desktop use. And you're talking about saving maybe a few hundred dollars in a 5 year span if you upgrade piece by piece like a lot of people do. I'm upgrading my mother board and cpu from a 6600k to a ryzen 3600 and I'm only spending $400 to do so and that will last me 3-4 years. I could go higher with ryzen and spend $200 more and have a cpu that will last 5 years... maybe... but that seems like a huge upfront cost for saving $100 or something down the line

3 minutes ago, Thready said:

I could go higher with ryzen and spend $200 more and have a cpu that will last 5 years... maybe... but that seems like a huge upfront cost for saving $100 or something down the line

It'll last significantly longer than 5 years. Hell, most people on first or second Core i didn't feel the need to upgrade due to the CPU until recently.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

16 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It'll last significantly longer than 5 years. Hell, most people on first or second Core i didn't feel the need to upgrade due to the CPU until recently.

But did you save a respectable amount of money by buying high end initially and waiting for so long? I mean I know a CPU will last more than 5 years just doing desktop stuff but won't it start to become a bottleneck after a while for anything CPU heavy?

1 hour ago, Thready said:

But did you save a respectable amount of money by buying high end initially and waiting for so long?

Yes. 

1 hour ago, Thready said:

won't it start to become a bottleneck after a while for anything CPU heavy?

After a long time, yes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.