Hitron CGN3 for gigabit internet?

humansomeone

Hi everyone,

I have an old rogers internet plan. Seems to be unlimited downloading but I see that the gigabit speed plan is the same price I'm paying now. I currently have a Hitron CGN3 which I bought instead of rented. Didn't bother researching it. Wifi to our sony x900f seems ok but netflix does stutter a little. 

Would this CGN3 modem (I assume it's a modem, really don't know much about this stuff) be ok bridged to a router and work out well for wifi? Should I get another modem?

Also anyone in Ottawa get decent speeds with the rogers gigabit plan?

Thanks.

37 minutes ago, humansomeone said:

Hitron CGN3

This is not a modem its a gateway. A modem/Router in one box. Generally theses are looked down upon as they in most cases are not the greatest. Its always better to have separate devices. This also seems to be a 24x8 gateway. Meaning it WONT do Gigabit. As you need a Docsis 3.1 modem on most if not all Cable ISP's to get Gigabit speeds. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Thanks donut, I'll have to look into what modem and router to get. Are ISP modems any good?

2 minutes ago, humansomeone said:

Are ISP modems any good?

I dont use them because Comcast (Ass holes) charge $11 to $15 a month for renting one. Plus they have back doors in to the devices meaning they can actually see stuff on your side of the network. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.