Whole House Fiber

DIY_Nerd

Hey Guys,

I am planning to wire my house for Internet with Fiber. 

My question is how do I connect all wires together?  

My previous home I had the access point where fiber is connected to house,(AT&T) then converted to ethernet from the router/modem they provided. I had a switch that connected the wiring for all of the other rooms. (See pic)

is there a way to duplicate this setup with fiber? As in a router or switch. I am new to this thanks.

1938FBE0-3079-4FEB-B3EB-664751F0B57E.jpeg

there's really no reason to put fiber in your house. in a sense you'll end up just putting a fiber to copper converter between the fiber and most devices you'll use. on top of that the fiber cables themselves, and the network devices for it are both stupidly expensive.

if you want to get a setup that is "future-resistant", wire your house with CAT6A cables, nice shielded ones, and put high quality RJ45 sockets on them.

Well did we talk about GLAS Fiber Cables?

If yes it realy depend! If its a solid Brick Building who is common in Europe where the Cable are directly inside the Walls Yes!
If its a Carboard House where you can remove them easy you can use ordinator double Shielded Cat 8 Cable.

From AT. :x

8 hours ago, DIY_Nerd said:

Hey Guys,

I am planning to wire my house for Internet with Fiber. 

My question is how do I connect all wires together?  

My previous home I had the access point where fiber is connected to house,(AT&T) then converted to ethernet from the router/modem they provided. I had a switch that connected the wiring for all of the other rooms. (See pic)

is there a way to duplicate this setup with fiber? As in a router or switch. I am new to this thanks.

1938FBE0-3079-4FEB-B3EB-664751F0B57E.jpeg

You need a switch with 10Gbps Fiber ports. They exist but they are hell of expensive, a few grand at the least. Also, most of them only come with a few Fiber ports. Because the intent is to only connect those machines that need to be connected via Fiber. Like servers or connecting switches together. 

The first place Id check is ebay. You might find something with Fiber support there, that will be used, but much cheaper. 10 Gbps Ethernet gear is a bit expensive still from what I have read. Though you could run Cat6a cabling and just use Ethernet. That would be the easiest way. 

Just keep in mind also that most devices cant use Fiber directly. Also not all devices have Gigabit Ethernet, and even less have 10 Gbps Ethernet. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Thank you  for the feedback!

I will leave the fiber to premise as is and and just run ethernet.

I would consider Cat 7 , or is there a higher grade?

6 minutes ago, DIY_Nerd said:

Cat6a is as high as you should go and make sure it doesn't say CCA (copper clad aluminum) anywhere on the product page or anything.

Cat7 is NOT a TIA/EIA standard, it's only an ISO standard, and as such has no electrical standard to adhere to so it's much much more likely to be junk cable than anything and should be ignored.

The next standard, Cat8, is still being ratified although there are some cables out there claiming to be Cat8, any real Cat8 cables are going to be like $1000+ for a roll because it's supposed to work at 25GbE and 40GbE even but if I remember correctly you'll need a slightly different connector for that as well.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, Lurick said:

The next standard, Cat8,

Interesting I didnt know that. As of right now what is the standard looking like? 

15 minutes ago, DIY_Nerd said:

I second @Lurick advice. Stick with Cat6a. Also keep in mind that 10 Gbps Ethernet gear is kinda expensive. So you may not want to do 10 Gbps all out, right away. This might be a good time to really look in to what devices really need 10G. Because as it stands 10 Gbps over Ethernet is still kinda new from what I have read. Fiber and Direct attached copper have been around for like ever, but Ethernet gear is sitll new. Meaning it still has the "Newness" tax on it. 

Personally Id maybe sketch out your network on some paper and really see where you think 10 Gbps might help. But as it stands you can put Cat6a every where and know that every wall hookup is 10G capable. Then slowly just upgrade devices as needed. 

14 hours ago, manikyath said:

fiber cables themselves, and the network devices for it are both stupidly expensive

SM Fiber is actually on par with copper price wise. SFPs, switches and NICs on the other hand are what make it that much more. 

Also to support other comments, Cat7/8 are still basically non-existent standards. Cat7 is fake and Cat8 already lost to fiber and even while being developed will never be mass adopted. 

If you need more than 6a because interference, you should be using fiber.  

11 minutes ago, Required said:

As @Lurick stated. The cables that are "Claiming" to be Cat8 are most likely Fake. The Chinese would sell you a gallon of air if they though they could, just to make a buck. Kinda hard to have cabling out when the standard is still in the works.

49 minutes ago, Lurick said:

The next standard, Cat8, is still being ratified although there are some cables out there claiming to be Cat8, any real Cat8 cables are going to be like $1000+ for a roll because it's supposed to work at 25GbE and 40GbE even but if I remember correctly you'll need a slightly different connector for that as well.

9 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

If you need more than 6a because interference, you should be using fiber.  

unlikely for a household, and as for future-proofing it, you're better off just putting in lots of guard tubes all over the place.

On 9/15/2019 at 3:51 PM, Donut417 said:

Interesting I didnt know that. As of right now what is the standard looking like? 

Based on the Cat9 design spec, Cat8 appears to contain one less cat.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)