A/N fittings

scotartt

Triggerrd off the part 1 Mac Pro build video, I’m interested to know why the pc cooling community doesn’t seem to use  A/N fittings?

We use them in automotive builds quite a lot (usually more for oil and fuel because a car’s cooling lines are like 2” typically)— but they come in pretty anodised colours. Plus, you can get hard corners 45’ 90’ even 180’ bends attached straight to the fitting point for those tight fits. I think they go down to at least 3/16” hose sizes too. 

Obviously it’s probably overkill (like no high fuel pressures or 120 degree Celsius oil temps) but I don’t think ‘overkill’ has ever been a deterrent in the pc build community given some builds I’ve seen!? Maybe I should do a build project using only automotive cooling parts? Oil cooled? Lol. Will I need a scavenger pump for the turbo oil return if I don’t high mount it? ?

Because there already are thousands of G1/4 fittings that come in pretty colours and have any kind of bends that you want.....................

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

48 minutes ago, scotartt said:

Triggerrd off the part 1 Mac Pro build video, I’m interested to know why the pc cooling community doesn’t seem to use  A/N fittings?

We use them in automotive builds quite a lot (usually more for oil and fuel because a car’s cooling lines are like 2” typically)— but they come in pretty anodised colours. Plus, you can get hard corners 45’ 90’ even 180’ bends attached straight to the fitting point for those tight fits. I think they go down to at least 3/16” hose sizes too. 

Obviously it’s probably overkill (like no high fuel pressures or 120 degree Celsius oil temps) but I don’t think ‘overkill’ has ever been a deterrent in the pc build community given some builds I’ve seen!? Maybe I should do a build project using only automotive cooling parts? Oil cooled? Lol. Will I need a scavenger pump for the turbo oil return if I don’t high mount it? ?

If im not mistaken those fittings are usually Aluminium. Thats one reason not to use them in PC water loops. Copper or brass with or without nickel plating is whats ideal.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Even more triggered by that big rad they got out for that stupid peltier cooler video today! It’s about the size of a car rad. 

Whats the issue with aluminium? Plenty of alloy in car water cooling!

16 hours ago, scotartt said:

Even more triggered by that big rad they got out for that stupid peltier cooler video today! It’s about the size of a car rad. 

Mixing metals isn't recommended in a watercooling loop even with the correct additives degradation does occur but at an acceptable rate. This is what is common in AIO's where they use aluminium rads and copper blocks. 

If you have an aluminum loop such as the fluid gaming kits then there would be no issues at all long as the threads are G1/4".

19 hours ago, scotartt said:

yes and cars suffer tremendously to the hands of ur average owner since they dont always fill the cooling system with coolant but rather straight water.

proper car coolant has ALOT of additives to stop corrosion, additives that are not always safe to use in PC loops due to o-ring material and the usualy plastic pump impellers.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |