When people say they don't like drinking plain water because it's boring

Nine Tailed Fox
3 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

Pure water has no taste, the stuff you describe sounds like you are drinking pretty dirty water? Texture?

Bullshit. Pure water has taste. Everything has some kind of taste.

3 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Bullshit. Pure water has taste. Everything has some kind of taste.

H2O molecules don't react with any of the tastebuds on your tongue, so technically no taste?

What you taste in water are the minerals and metals that have solved into the water, and what you can taste. That is why every home's tap water tastes differently because they all have different consentrations of different minerals, they are all water, but with different stuff in them.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

18 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

H2O molecules don't react with any of the tastebuds on your tongue, so technically no taste?

What you taste in water are the minerals and metals that have solved into the water, and what you can taste. That is why every home's tap water tastes differently because they all have different consentrations of different minerals, they are all water, but with different stuff in them.

Before we moved, our house had a water softener and a purification tap. There was nothing left in the water except water itself. It tastes bad.

Where we live now sucks even worse. We can't use our tap water to cook with (cleaning is debatable) as there's too much calcium and lime. We have to drink bottled water.

16 hours ago, floofer said:

Listen. I can get the same thing you pay for in bottled water from the tap, for free. I'm not paying for it, ever. If I'm going to pay for a drink, its usually beer or Pepsi Max. Just install a filter in your water system if you are really concerned. 

This.  I'd like to say F*ck pepsi max though, but my soda weakness is barqs; If I happen upon a vending machine with it I may circle around it for several minutes before caving or over coming, so I can't cast too many stones...not like really hard anyways.  Sodas purpose in my home is to be added to a glass with 2 rocks of ice and a spirit/liquor, never drink soda on its own.  Only exception is gingerale when I've a stomach bug of one type or another.

I don't get why people say they don't like water either.  My kid sister is like that, never did get an answer that made sense to me.  She's also the type of person who has several half drunken glasses of whatever in the fridge, used to drive me nuts.  Eyes bigger than her belly I guess.

17 hours ago, floofer said:

Listen. I can get the same thing you pay for in bottled water from the tap, for free. I'm not paying for it, ever. If I'm going to pay for a drink, its usually beer or Pepsi Max. Just install a filter in your water system if you are really concerned. 

Not sure where you live that tap water is free. But I pay a bill every two months for tap water. So not free where I live. Either way I have to pay. I’ll pay for the safe good tasting water. Instead of that shit we pump from the Detroit river, never know what’s in that water. Chemicals, sewage, dead bodies, etc. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

20 hours ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

I don't get it.. I drink about a half gallon - gallon a day and I don't mind it.

I can understand people wanting to drink something other than water because of the taste - eg: they prefer the taste of milk or juice or pop, etc.

What I don't understand, is people who refuse to drink tap water, and will actually buy bottled water*

*Note: I know there are places in the world where tap water is legit not safe. I'm talking about basically major US/Canadian cities. Like Toronto or New York City. The tap water is 100% safe, and it's "free" (I mean, it's not actually free - usually you're paying a small fee for water usage, or it's paid via taxes in general. Depends on the city).

In the city I live in, it costs about $1.90 CAD per cubic metre of water used. For reference, 1 cubic metre is equal to 1000 litres, or about 265 US Gallons of water. For under $2.

Or you can buy Aquafina at $3 for half a litre.

Most bottled water isn't even special, it's literally just ground water. We use a filter at home, but that's mostly for taste more than anything else - and it's still significantly cheaper than buying bottled water.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

100% safe,

The water might be safe. But the infrastructure to get it to your home on the other hand might not. Older water mains might have lead in them. While it can be safe, if you have a change in the water it can cause issues. Thats what happen in Flint. The Flint river, which was suppose to be a temp source of water for the city was a little acidic. It leached the lead out of the pipes in to peoples homes. Though from what I remember all they had to do is add a chemical to the water and this would not have happen. But the emergency manager decided that it would cost too much. 

The Great Lakes Water Authority hardened our water in the Metro Detroit area to ensure this didnt happen to us. But in many areas, they cant afford to replace the mains. Which causes trust issues for me. 

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

New York City.

Watched a program, not sure what channel. They were talking about building in New York that had water towers on top of them. These towers in many cases are not safe, bird shit and other containment's in them. So I dont think id trust the water in New York either. 

I have reverse osmosis so... but I never drink enough.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

20 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I drink several bottles of Ice Mountain a day. I also like the Ice Mountain Sparkling as it has a hint of flavor and no sugar. 

As it stands I wont drink Tap water. I dont trust it any more. 

I was going to ask if this had anything to do with Flint, but you confirmed it before I could ask.

19 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Ice Mountain is Spring water and you can taste a difference. I have drank Dasani before but I dont like the taste, mainly because its bottle tap water. 

Me not trusting tap water is due to what happen in Flint. They are still dealing with Lead in their water. I remember reading that the Great lakes water authority started hardening our water to keep in from leaching lead out of our water mains. Because I think many communities are in the same boat. The mains are old and while they are "Safe", you have to be careful. Plus the water tastes like Im drinking pool water. 

What I want to do is see about getting a reverse osmosis system for the kitchen sink. It would filter the water and I could stop using plastic bottles. 

I'd highly suggest getting a whole-home or under-sink filtration system. You can route it so that only the kitchen sink has the filtered water rather than every tap.

Or you can even just route a new faucet into the kitchen beside your existing taps - that way you have a tap dedicated to drinking water, but you can still use the regular kitchen faucet for things like washing dishes.

In the long run, even an expensive filtration system will pay for itself, compared to buying bottled water.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

they dont like light water because those are the kind of people who have tasted heavy water, and it's sweeter than your garden variety h2o.

wait until they taste what soujaboy water

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

4 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

Those towers are in case of a fire, not for drinking. NYC gets it's water from the finger lakes, and it's some of the cleanest tap water you'll get. It's actually part of the reason their pizza is so good. New Jersy water is what you've gotta stay away from.

Not according to the New York Times. They say it is the drinking water for some people. Id be concerned getting water out of those. I know the video is 5 years old, but this type of issue doesn't get fixed in 5 years. 

I started only drinking water a year ago, and it has made me much healthier, and has saved a ton of cash.

Usually i carry 0.5L water bottle with me, and drink it throughout the day.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

The taste of water comes from the minerals inside. Not from the H2O.

"Light water" ??  "Diet Water" ??

I mean... We have "Contrex" water in France which is a recognize (analyzed) water drank when you^re on diet, as the minerals in it make you "eliminate" more quickly, but the taste... ?

It's a very salty water... Hate it...

But... "Diet water" ????   O_o

1 hour ago, zassou said:

[...] light water [...]

I only heard of light water as in deuterium-depleted water, which is one of the two meanings mentioned on the wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_water , the other one being "normal water" as opposed to heavy water (deuterium).

It is amazing what terms can be used to describe water for marketing purposes. Besides "diet", I have also seen "vegan" and "halal", all very fancy. Speaking of "special" types of water, I have heard of people claiming that drinking some quantities of alkaline water can be healthy. I have tried it and not noticed any particular difference in taste.

1 minute ago, greenhorn said:

Besides "diet", I have also seen "vegan" and "halal", all very fancy. Speaking of "special" types of water, I have heard of people claiming that drinking some quantities of alkaline water can be healthy. I have tried it and not noticed any particular difference in taste.

Yep... Heard the same new fancy terms to make you buy other fancy appliances for your own good...

As in "ionized water"...

-----------------------------------

After some magical ball scrutiny, it would seem that "ionized water" and "alkaline water" are the same...

Interesting... *facepalm*

I love the "molecular perfection" of the Apple water !!!!  ?   "Literally twice as many hydrogen atoms as there are oxygen atoms" ?

2 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

[...]

After some magical ball scrutiny, it would seem that "ionized water" and "alkaline water" are the same...
[...]

The only instance where "ionizing water" (which I think is used as marketing slang for adding some ions to said water) only makes sense when the filtration process removes almost everything from the water so that ions need to be added afterwards to improve its quality for drinking (I am thinking of reverse osmosis devices here).

Im a fitness junky.  I HATE water.  I cant stand water.  I drink it all the god damn time.  I use (generic version) of Mio Energy water flavoring (cause caffeine is life) - I take my apple juice and cut it half and half with water cause F water but cant have just gallons of regular apple juice either.  Long story short, I hate water.  ❤️

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

11 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

The only instance where "ionizing water" (which I think is used as marketing slang for adding some ions to said water) only makes sense when the filtration process removes almost everything from the water so that ions need to be added afterwards to improve its quality for drinking (I am thinking of reverse osmosis devices here).

Water ionizer

Trolling mode: In fact it seems they should have used this kind of thingamagick in Fling to remove the acid part and make it more "alkaline" if I follow the explanation in the previous link

Serious mode: Knowing that "alkaline" is as bad as "acidic"  (all in moderation) and that most waters need to tend to the as ph neutral as possible, I^m not so sure that "ionized alkaline" water is that much better for the body...

But it all depends on people's body too. I know that I have "acidity" problems in my body. To balance that I either have to take some foul tasting medicine or need to drink some "real" fresh pressed lemon/orange/grapefruit juice, as agrums are in fact making your body alkaline, despite the fact that they taste acidic.

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Not sure where you live that tap water is free. But I pay a bill every two months for tap water. So not free where I live. Either way I have to pay. I’ll pay for the safe good tasting water. Instead of that shit we pump from the Detroit river, never know what’s in that water. Chemicals, sewage, dead bodies, etc. 

if you pay for it anyway might as well use it. Tap water is tested for impurities at the plant, you can just get a filter if you are really worried. 

3 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

I know someone who has recently bought such a device. It was very expensive, I am not sure about the health benefits (and the wiki page you linked mentions the lack of empiric evidence of any health benefit) and it uses filters that need to be replaced after a while. Sounds like a healthy deal for the manufacturer.

19 minutes ago, floofer said:

you can just get a filter if you are really worried. 

Well seeing how Flint still has lead in their water, yeah im a bit worried. Seeing how the mains in our area, might have lead in them as well, its a bit concerning. Also they put soooooooo much Chlorine in the water it tastes like pool water. It would be probably too expensive to get a Plumber to come in and install a whole house filter. The portable filter containers take forever to fill up. Which is why I drink bottled. Also, tap water is not that cheap in my area. And it goes up yearly, much like our cable bill. Keep in mind its not only the water you pay for. You also have to pay if you use a public sewer as well and you have to pay to maintain the system. 

9 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Before we moved, our house had a water softener and a purification tap. There was nothing left in the water except water itself. It tastes bad.

Where we live now sucks even worse. We can't use our tap water to cook with (cleaning is debatable) as there's too much calcium and lime. We have to drink bottled water.

Unless your "purification tap" was an RO (Reverse Osmosis) filter, there definitely was something left in the water. Water softeners do remove anything from the water; they just exchange sodium (or, sometimes, potassium) ions for the calcium ions. Even RO filters do not remove everyting from the water; there are always a few trace non-water ions that get through plus water is an excellent solvent that will pick up more trace ions from the pluming that follows the RO filter membrane.

Also, when you do get water that actually is free of the trace ions, it will seem to taste bad because the lack of taste triggers your brain to interpret it as a bad taste.

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

Don't forget "Apple"

4xvveh3426fx.jpg.d55bf867526e2e0c287064067d7a6389.jpg

It will probably go bad or leak if not stored in a special refrigerator, is carried in a leather bag or a bag with keys and other sharp or abrasive objects, or is allowed to come into contact with bottles of other brands.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

2 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Reverse Osmosis

It actually was reverse osmosis. My mom wanted it installed and my dad wasnt too happy about the price.