Top Fan Orientation

Moputne

So the last couple of days I've been wondering what to do with my two 120mm fans on top of my case. Even with similar case structure, some people set the fan as an exhaust rather than intake, even thought there are filters on top of the fans, so I guess that means it's intake ?

I made a sketch of my case and build, if it helps..

Also, I forgot to mention the lateral case fan is serving as a intake, but it as no filter, should that mean it's an exhaust too ?

Scheme.png

IMG_20190914_170253.jpg

I'd switch one of the top fans to front intake in the DVD bay, unless you are using the DVD's, the top fans should not be intake.

26 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

I'd switch one of the top fans to front intake in the DVD bay, unless you are using the DVD's, the top fans should not be intake.

Thank you, I'll keep the top two as exhaust then.

The case is a Nox Coolbay VX, it only supports two 120mm fans at the front.

By the way, should I cover that second top fan slot in the side panel, or keep it as is to bring cool air in (despite being summer..) ? Due to the cooler, I cannot place one fan there.

1 hour ago, Moputne said:

Thank you, I'll keep the top two as exhaust then.

The case is a Nox Coolbay VX, it only supports two 120mm fans at the front.

By the way, should I cover that second top fan slot in the side panel, or keep it as is to bring cool air in (despite being summer..) ? Due to the cooler, I cannot place one fan there.

I'd cover it, you don;t want the front fans to be pushing air out, or better yet, just run a benchmark, look at the temps, then put a piece of paper or sometihng over it as a temporary thing, then check temps again, if they improve, then cover, it they get worse, then leave it open.

1 hour ago, Firewrath9 said:

I'd cover it, you don;t want the front fans to be pushing air out, or better yet, just run a benchmark, look at the temps, then put a piece of paper or sometihng over it as a temporary thing, then check temps again, if they improve, then cover, it they get worse, then leave it open.

So I did a stress test and the results with the slot covered peaked at 65º versus the slot open peaking at 68º.

Guess I will keep it close and top fans exhausting, thank you. 

Fan mounts are often designed to be used as intake or exhaust but can also be used either way. In this case, the side panel as intake and top as exhaust is solid as long as you don't mind the dust. You can get a magnetic dust filter for the side panel if you want to reduce dust accumulation. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

28 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Fan mounts are often designed to be used as intake or exhaust but can also be used either way. In this case, the side panel as intake and top as exhaust is solid as long as you don't mind the dust. You can get a magnetic dust filter for the side panel if you want to reduce dust accumulation. 

I'm fine with dust as long the performance overall is better, thank you all for the advice.

44 minutes ago, Moputne said:

So I did a stress test and the results with the slot covered peaked at 65º versus the slot open peaking at 68º.

Guess I will keep it close and top fans exhausting, thank you. 

IMG_20190914_215228.jpg