Refusing to boot with specific HDD connected

Howdy doody.

Yesterday i upgraded my cpu and mobo and added some ram and ever since i did my pc refuses to boot when i have one of my old hdd attached [western digital black 1tb]

I have hotswaps that ive never used before now so i boot the pc with the hdd unslotted and i reslot it when i am in windows.

I ran tests on the hdd and its all fine and dandy but just for trying i completely emptied it out and gave it a new partition however it still refuses to boot the pc if its slotted in before booting up.

Is there any way to fix this ? would be a shame to toss a seemingly fine hdd :( and i could really use the space it has.

Not sure if its usefull info but im running a asus prime x399-a mobo with a 2920x threadripper and 32gb of ram.

Edit : i did try to run a different hdd and ssd in the slot i was using for the problematic hdd and that works just fine.

When you say refuses to boot, what does that mean? Does it post and not boot Windows? Does it stop posting? Any error messages?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

When you say refuses to boot, what does that mean? Does it post and not boot Windows? Does it stop posting? Any error messages?

Sorry forgot to add that it powers on and the fans spin up but it completely shuts down within seconds.

That's odd, definitely a power issue but would be hard to say exactly what.

2 suggestions, try different cables (both power and data) and if it's at all possible try it in another PC to see if it happens or not.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

That's odd, definitely a power issue but would be hard to say exactly what.

2 suggestions, try different cables (both power and data) and if it's at all possible try it in another PC to see if it happens or not.

I have tried it in a seperate system [r5 2600 one] and it ran no problem and my power and date cable are hardwired to the hotswap slot but i have tried running it in a different slot and directly connected by a sata power cable and data cable connected to the mobo.