Spotify to Tackle Family Plan Sharing by Asking Users For Locations

jiyeon
42 minutes ago, will4623 said:

I feel like that should be illegal.

welcome to fully unrestrained capitalism, товарищ. even when it might kill you, it's still not illegal.

This is insanity.

1. The privacy concerns about location. Family plans are designed in a way that makes it likely minors will be using them (cause you know families tend to consist of parents and their children. All it takes is one large data breach and suddenly the locations of children are at risk.
  2. Also doing it by GPS is dumb af too. I'm a student and for 8 months of the year I'm at university but my main registered residence is not my hall of residence at uni, but my parent's house back home. I'm still financially dependent on them so a family plan wouldn't be insane (I don't have one because I'm the only one in my family that uses Spotify very much but hypothetically)

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

~snip~

Wew.  

1. I’m not going, “bawww Spotify has bad family plan baww”
  2. I never argued Spotify’s or the dictionary’s definitions of family and/or family plan

What I did do, was provide an alternative that I feel is better.  Apple Music allows you to add anyone to your family plan.  That’s the simple truth.

This isn’t bitching about Spotify, and I’m not arguing the English language.

Simple as that, people complained and talked about switching, I said might as well cause x company let’s you do what you’re wanting to do.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

2 hours ago, will4623 said:

I feel like that should be illegal.

I'm bot sure I agree with that. To me, that would be similar to how Photoshop won't work unless you allow it to connect to the Internet or some other authentication server. Requiring a periodic check to make sure you are using the software in the authorized way is fairly standard. While I don't like it, I don't think it should be illegal either.

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

What I did do, was provide an alternative that I feel is better.  Apple Music allows you to add anyone to your family plan.  That’s the simple truth.

Oh I am so sorry. I didn't realize you were talking about Apple Music when you said "family plan doesn't mean you have to live in the same household".

There have been several people in this thread which have said similar things about Spotify Premium Family so I assumed you were talking about that too.

8 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Oh I am so sorry. I didn't realize you were talking about Apple Music when you said "family plan doesn't mean you have to live in the same household".

There have been several people in this thread which have said similar things about Spotify Premium Family so I assumed you were talking about that too.

Oh, no.  Misunderstanding, my bad.

yeah, I just was trying to provide an alternative that has the requirement people were looking for.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

last.fm anyone?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

last.fm anyone?

They have been using Spotify for a few years. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

2 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

They have been using Spotify for a few years. 

They still let you listen to youtube iirc

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, comander said:

Step 1: Buy 100 CDs at $10-20 a piece. This costs $1500ish. 
Step 2: Rip them.
Step 3: NAS + set up VPN on router. This will likely cost around $300ish.
Step 4: You now have your own streaming service. 0 commercials or tracking. The price will never go up beyond the cost of electricity. 

Downside: Up front cost of about... $1800. And you have a fixed library. No new artists without additional costs.

For comparison's sake, if we take the more expensive $15/mo family plan, $1800 get's you 120 months (or 10 years) of streaming. That's also 10 years of new music being added constantly, at no extra cost to yourself.

Buying music is expensive over the long run.

If we go with the standard premium plan ($10/mo), that extends your $1800 to 15 years worth of subscription. If you're a student, that further extends the life of the plan.

Personally I don't sub to any music service, but I also don't get new albums that often.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, comander said:

Step 1: Buy 100 CDs at $10-20 a piece. This costs $1500ish. 
Step 2: Rip them.
Step 3: NAS + set up VPN on router. This will likely cost around $300ish.
Step 4: You now have your own streaming service. 0 commercials or tracking. The price will never go up beyond the cost of electricity. 

This method is hard for me since the Korean music I listen to rarely comes in CD form. :( Also sinking $1800 into just music is expensive, that's literally 1.5x the cost of my entire setup, that's my PC and peripherals, and even then some.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches